FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally_wabash

Quote from: wabashcpa on August 13, 2019, 11:47:08 AM
Quote from: wally_wabash on August 13, 2019, 09:34:33 AM
Quote from: wabashcpa on August 12, 2019, 11:55:35 PM
https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/football/college/region-collegians-region-well-represented-on-wabash-football-team/article_4f9b22d8-a816-5883-9d53-4064f385df57.html?fbclid=IwAR0Y_tyJdVhqjiDloHbir4BY6P3XgiZRflfwMZGsYbp_bSyxUj6xz6sSy7I

Friend of mine from high school wrote the article.  This quote from Morel has me struggling:

"The kids have higher expectations than me," Morel said. "That's what makes it such an easy place to coach."

Great that the kids have high expectations, I would expect nothing less.  But higher than the head coach?  That's a disconnect for me.

Can't it just be that he's giving the players the spotlight?  I don't think it has to be any more complicated than that.

If it wasn't Morel, maybe.  But what exactly has he done to inspire confidence in anybody?  I commend him for the job he did keeping the kids together last year with dealing with the Hansen tragedy, but he has never exuded a championship vibe to me.  Do you think the kids had higher expectations than Creighton or Raeburn?  I don't.  If I'm reading too much into it, then guilty as charged.

I understand that there is a segment of the population that is just never going to come around, but he literally won a championship just last year. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

CollegeGolf18

Quote from: wally_wabash on August 13, 2019, 04:40:10 PM
Quote from: wabashcpa on August 13, 2019, 11:47:08 AM
Quote from: wally_wabash on August 13, 2019, 09:34:33 AM
Quote from: wabashcpa on August 12, 2019, 11:55:35 PM
https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/football/college/region-collegians-region-well-represented-on-wabash-football-team/article_4f9b22d8-a816-5883-9d53-4064f385df57.html?fbclid=IwAR0Y_tyJdVhqjiDloHbir4BY6P3XgiZRflfwMZGsYbp_bSyxUj6xz6sSy7I

Friend of mine from high school wrote the article.  This quote from Morel has me struggling:

"The kids have higher expectations than me," Morel said. "That's what makes it such an easy place to coach."

Great that the kids have high expectations, I would expect nothing less.  But higher than the head coach?  That's a disconnect for me.

Can't it just be that he's giving the players the spotlight?  I don't think it has to be any more complicated than that.

If it wasn't Morel, maybe.  But what exactly has he done to inspire confidence in anybody?  I commend him for the job he did keeping the kids together last year with dealing with the Hansen tragedy, but he has never exuded a championship vibe to me.  Do you think the kids had higher expectations than Creighton or Raeburn?  I don't.  If I'm reading too much into it, then guilty as charged.

I understand that there is a segment of the population that is just never going to come around, but he literally won a championship just last year.

I was going to say, 25-5 since taking over with 2 Monon victories and a NCAC championship is pretty solid given the rise of the NCAC and the circumstances around the team over the last few years. Recruiting also did not see a down tick with staff turnover.
Former Collegiate Golfer
Current Sports Nut

wabashcpa

As a numbers guy, I can appreciate those numbers, they look great in a vacuum.  Let me throw a few out there:

Playoff appearances under Creighton - 3
Playoff appearance under Raeburn - 5
Playoff appearances under Morel - 0

Did Raeburn benefit from Creighton players?  Of course.  Did Morel benefit from Raeburn players?  One would certainly think so.  You want me to "come around"?  Make the playoffs this year.  That should be our expectation every year.  Once Creighton finally broke through, we were a pretty consistent presence in the postseason.  We need to get back to that level.  I think we have the players to get there.

CollegeGolf18

Quote from: wabashcpa on August 15, 2019, 12:57:02 PM
As a numbers guy, I can appreciate those numbers, they look great in a vacuum.  Let me throw a few out there:

Playoff appearances under Creighton - 3
Playoff appearance under Raeburn - 5
Playoff appearances under Morel - 0

Did Raeburn benefit from Creighton players?  Of course.  Did Morel benefit from Raeburn players?  One would certainly think so.  You want me to "come around"?  Make the playoffs this year.  That should be our expectation every year.  Once Creighton finally broke through, we were a pretty consistent presence in the postseason.  We need to get back to that level.  I think we have the players to get there.

To further extrapolate those numbers:

Creighton - 3 playoff appearances in 7 years .808 W%
Raeburn - 5 playoff appearances in 8 years .857 W%
Morel - 0 playoff appearances in 3 years .833 W% (I could argue that they should have made the playoffs this past year but I was okay with missing out and ending the season on a high note with the Bell game.)

Arguably the competition is tougher during the Morel years so far, IMO. Granted I was 11 during the 2007 year so my recollection of the Creighton years is only from what I have heard and looked up.

This is the year to determine Morel I think. Healthy and stable at QB, I think. I assume that Reid will be back as starter but I do know that Liam Thompson is legit having seen him in high school. Ike is back for two years, the OL will be a little question at first but I think it'll be better. Defensively, they should be much better than last year. All this points to an undefeated regular season, especially with the graduations of key QB's...looking at you Jake and Canaan.
Former Collegiate Golfer
Current Sports Nut

wabashcpa

I think in fairness, if we are going to compare winning percentages, let's look at regular season only, to keep it apples to apples.

Creighton 58-12 = .829 (2 seasons 10-0, 1 season 9-1)
Raeburn 72-8 = .900 (2 seasons 10-0, 4 seasons 9-1)
Morel 25-5 = .833 (1 season 9-1)

Denison is definitely tougher now, but Wooster isn't what it used to be, so to me that's a wash.  Allegheny isn't what it once was.  Remaining teams for the most part are what they always are, so to me the competition level is equivalent to past years at best.

I agree that this season should tell the tale.  I hope they run the table, and host a playoff game.  Nothing better!

CollegeGolf18

Quote from: wabashcpa on August 15, 2019, 02:32:35 PM
I think in fairness, if we are going to compare winning percentages, let's look at regular season only, to keep it apples to apples.

Creighton 58-12 = .829 (2 seasons 10-0, 1 season 9-1)
Raeburn 72-8 = .900 (2 seasons 10-0, 4 seasons 9-1)
Morel 25-5 = .833 (1 season 9-1)

Denison is definitely tougher now, but Wooster isn't what it used to be, so to me that's a wash.  Allegheny isn't what it once was.  Remaining teams for the most part are what they always are, so to me the competition level is equivalent to past years at best.

I agree that this season should tell the tale.  I hope they run the table, and host a playoff game.  Nothing better!

Agreed! If it's a 8-2 or 9-1 year this year, then maybe we look at this completely different.
Former Collegiate Golfer
Current Sports Nut

Li'l Giant

Quote from: CollegeGolf18 on August 15, 2019, 01:10:22 PM

This is the year to determine Morel I think.

Neither Creighton nor Raeburn went more than two seasons between playoff runs. We're at three since our last. I think it's clear that DM has a lot of minds to change and this season is his best opportunity to do that. I sincerely hope he takes advantage of it.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

CollegeGolf18

Quote from: Li'l Giant on August 16, 2019, 12:54:10 PM
Quote from: CollegeGolf18 on August 15, 2019, 01:10:22 PM

This is the year to determine Morel I think.

Neither Creighton nor Raeburn went more than two seasons between playoff runs. We're at three since our last. I think it's clear that DM has a lot of minds to change and this season is his best opportunity to do that. I sincerely hope he takes advantage of it.

100% and you have a ton of returning players next year at key spots as well. This year should be the playoffs no doubt and anything less is on the coaching staff (unless you know, the players are so awful, but that goes back to coaching as well.)

Having Ike James for two more years is going to be nice.
Former Collegiate Golfer
Current Sports Nut

BayernFan

Let's say Wabash goes 8-2 or 9-1.  I understand that some may think that this should trigger a review of the DM hire......but does anyone think that Wabash would fire him?  I don't.

CollegeGolf18

Quote from: BayernFan on August 17, 2019, 09:16:31 PM
Let's say Wabash goes 8-2 or 9-1.  I understand that some may think that this should trigger a review of the DM hire......but does anyone think that Wabash would fire him?  I don't.

Probably not next year, but again in 2020? Yes, I think it would be debated.
Former Collegiate Golfer
Current Sports Nut

bleedpurple

Quote from: CollegeGolf18 on August 17, 2019, 09:52:57 PM

So, 9-1 in each of the next two years could trigger a review of your head coach? Who are you guys, Nebraska?

formerd3db

Quote from: bleedpurple on August 18, 2019, 08:14:06 AM
Quote from: CollegeGolf18 on August 17, 2019, 09:52:57 PM

So, 9-1 in each of the next two years could trigger a review of your head coach? Who are you guys, Nebraska?

Oh my gosh! I was going to post the same comment, bp!  Those guys are ruthless and I would date say many others would think a little "off" the trail.😬🙁🙂
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

sigma one

If Morel goes 8-2/9-1 the next two years, all other things being OK,  he'll be retained.  The new AD (at Wabash a year now, and an alumnus) won't get rid of him with that record.  I can see a circumstance (injuries, bad bounces, etc) where the team could go 7-3.  Wabash has not had a 3+ loss season since 2004.  That's a remarkable run.  Sure, we all want to see the LGs back in the playoffs (in addition to beating DePauw).  Look for Morel to stay awhile,  maybe until he decides to step down.  I don't think he will look for a job elsewhere--at least as a head coach.  His wife has a good job in Indianapolis, where they live. 
     Wabash is in camp, and it's about time for a preliminary look at the team.  My next post.

sigma one

Wabash brings back 7 offensive and 9 defensive starters.  A quick rundown by position, with a late note on incoming players:

TE  Martinez returns, more a blocker than a receiver, although he caught the winning TD pass in last year's Bell Game.  Fox moves over from defense.  Yazel, a transfer in 2017 from St joseph's College, and back after missing last year, is in the mix.
    OL  3 starters and a top sub return:  Bolen, Slager, D. Smith, Phelps are big and experienced.  Several #2s are also back.  Good depth here.
   WR  Based on the loss of Page and Thomas, the weakest group.  R. Jones returns; he's a reliable deep threat to build a new receiving corps around.  Only 18 catches in '18, but for 6TDs and a 22ypc average.  Look for Hamman, Melchi and a couple of freshmen to be in the mix
   QB  Reid returns; 18TDs and 8INTs last year.  He is a calming presence.  The backup is not obvious, although Thompson, an incoming freshman, was a high school star worth a look.
   RB  Avant and James, both All-NCAC 1st team (in 2018 and 2017) are back.  James comes off a season-ending injury in last year's 2nd game.  If he's healthy they could be one of the better tandems in DIII.  Worth noting is that Avant had 2 98yd TD runs last season.

K  Nehrig is back for his 3rd year, handing KOs and PATs.  His accuracy needs improvement, but he has a big leg
     P   Annee took over last year just after mid season and returns for his sophomore year.

DL  Broady is back in the middle after HM in the conference last year.  Schuch was also HM.  They will anchor a Dline that should be better than in 2018--and they were solid last year.  Buresh, Peck, Coleman, Lang could contribute.  Marsh, a transfer from Miami, OH will be in the group competing for time.
   LB  Yeagy and Heffron, both all-conference are back.  Heffron evidently decided to stay for a 5th year.  Also, with major PT last year are Garrett and Bertram.  Garrett was a starter and Bertram a top reserve.  A number of strong reserves return:  Sanders, Hahn, Myers, Boyer among them
   DB  All four starters are back.  Kelly and Franco, NCAC newcomer of the year, will be at the corners.  The safeties will by Page and Equihua.   More depth needs to develop, particularly at the 5th DB position.  Stroh, the top punt returner, has moved from safety to WR.

Word on the freshmen is that this is one of the best recruiting groups in some time.  Of course, who really knows.  Some who come in looking to contribute early or provide support are Thomson (QB), Reed (RB), Bock (RB), Skeens (WR), Wilhelm (WR), Sullivan (WR), Patrick (TE), Mullin, (OL), Sullivan (OL), English (OL), Marino (DL), Miller (DL), Peterson (DL), Salinas (LB), Hillard (LB)Lansdell (LB), Warmick (LB), Zappala (DB), Gupton (DB).  Of course, others will emerge, probably not on anyone's radar yet.

Wabash opens on 9/14, a late start, at Wisconsin. Stevens Point.  The Pointers will have game under their belt against John Carroll.  This is a tricky opener.  They then go to Meadville to face Allegheny.  Denison will come to C'ville, as will Wittenberg.  DePauw at the end.  Wooster on the Scots' home turf, and OWU at Wabash.

I'm eager to see how Pat and the group assess the LGs in Kickoff this week.  Please subscribe if you have not already.

maripp2002

"Wabash has not had a 3+ loss season since 1994.  That's a remarkable run." 

Yes, it definitely is, especially as Wabash was 6-4 in 2004, 6-4 in 2000 and 5-5 in 1999. I will assume you meant 2004. :)
A fan of good football - wherever it may be found.