Being recruited by a D3 school, just have one question

Started by d3prospect, December 21, 2015, 10:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d3prospect

Hey guys. I'm a senior in high school about to graduate and my goal is to be playing college soccer in 2016. I'm currently being recruited by two D3 schools, but I'm leaning way towards one in Wisconsin.

I have had a couple talks on the phone with the coach (he called me first both times) and he's inviting me to stay with the team for a week and come for an official visit of the school so he can show me around the campus and outside of the school as well. I don't think he's seen much of me playing besides a small part of my highlight tape and my recruiting profile online.
I'm going to do that visit thing in January.

Am I really getting recruited, or does this happen to a lot of players?

blooter442

I can't say for certain, since I did not play D3 soccer, but I did run D3 cross-country and had a similar experience in the recruiting process in terms of consistent contact with the coach culminating in an overnight visit. I would say that if he is having you come visit for a week, that's a pretty strong sign that they're interested.

Good luck!

Ommadawn

I agree with Blooter. The coach wouldn't waste your time, his time, and that of his players if he weren't interested.  Getting you to come to campus is a big part of the recruiting battle in that it shows you are taking the school seriously.

Ryan Harmanis

Sounds like you're getting recruited - congratulations.  I think the general rule is that if the team invites you for a visit, they're interested.  That's probably even more true if they contacted you first, although I'm not sure if they did from your post.  Division III coaches don't have tons of resources or tons of time, and while they're usually open to meeting with potential students even if they aren't recruiting them, I don't think they go out of their way to pursue and invite guys for visits who they aren't interested in.  So if the coach has initiated phone conversations and is the one pushing you to visit, I'd say you're being recruited. 

Do you know anyone with ties to the school or the coach, or have any friends/teammates who were recruited to go there?  When it comes to this stuff, information is your best friend, so anyone you could talk to that has some knowledge of the coach or the program could probably give you a better idea of the normal way that school recruits.

yurmama69

You are definitely being recruited.  The coach wouldn't go through the calls and planning a visit if he wasn't.

casualfan

I think RH hit the nail on the head. Most Division III coaches aren't able to spend extensive time recruiting and with less resources, it's a very important piece of the job. Therefore, if the coach is spending time calling and reaching out for an overnight visit, I would think the coach is quite interested. Good luck with your college decision!

Ron Boerger

Be sure the school is strong in whatever field you choose to major in, and that it's able to offer a comprehensive (non-athletic based) aid package that won't leave you six figures in debt by the time you graduate.

Dubuquer

Yep, you're being recruited.  Almost 20 years ago when I was in your situation I got a call from a coach at a top D3 program in the upper midwest (they consistently won their conference and were perennial NCAA qualifiers).  He knew I was interested in the school and regularly got players from the high schools in my conference so we were on each other's radars.  He clearly wanted to me to come but I can say that he absolutely turned me off with his attitude and recruiting style over the phone.  There was another coach at a top midwestern school who had come to watch me play at a summer tournament.  Over the course of several conversations I found I really liked him and would have loved playing for him.  He expressed interest but never called me.  I visited both schools and ended up going to the first, but I chose not to play in part because of the coach.  Make sure the school itself (outside of soccer) is a good fit academically and financially because you never know what can happen during your 4+ years. College can be a great time to explore other options and interests so don't pin your decision on soccer.