Around the Nation board

Started by Pat Coleman, September 22, 2005, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on November 19, 2013, 11:28:18 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 19, 2013, 11:04:18 PM
Besides, 16 of those Pool A teams will be done by Saturady about 3:15pm local time.
I sure hope that's not the case... I'd rather see Pool A Franklin defeat Pool B WashU ;)
Yes, I had second thoughts about a bold prediction that the only losers on Saturday would be Pool A schools.  FWIW, the SAA is beginning to take shape as a Pool A conference and WashU and UChicago made a smart move to move to an acceptable football conference where they will be very competitive!   :)  (Likewise, CWRU and CMU.)

jknezek

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 20, 2013, 09:14:22 AM
Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on November 19, 2013, 11:28:18 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 19, 2013, 11:04:18 PM
Besides, 16 of those Pool A teams will be done by Saturady about 3:15pm local time.
I sure hope that's not the case... I'd rather see Pool A Franklin defeat Pool B WashU ;)
Yes, I had second thoughts about a bold prediction that the only losers on Saturday would be Pool A schools.  FWIW, the SAA is beginning to take shape as a Pool A conference and WashU and UChicago made a smart move to move to an acceptable football conference where they will be very competitive!

Anyone know if Chicago will join the South Region with this move? And will CWRU join the South after they and CMU go to the PAC?

Pat Coleman

In other sports those changes haven't been made and the UAA exists in four or five separate regions. With the way the criteria have changed, it's more of a moot point than it used to be.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jknezek

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 22, 2013, 11:02:32 AM
In other sports those changes haven't been made and the UAA exists in four or five separate regions. With the way the criteria have changed, it's more of a moot point than it used to be.

Very true. But they moved Salisbury to the East, so I was curious. I think it really only matters for next year's South Region Fan Poll and trying to get on the board if you are in the Pool C discussion.

Pat Coleman

True. But Salisbury fits into an East footprint much better than Chicago fits into the South. Also, the Salisbury change was made before the most recent round of changes to the selection criteria.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hazzben

Keith, you could add Mitch Hallstrom to your list of WR's Gone Wild: 8 rec, 127 yds 2 TD's

K-Mack

Quote from: hazzben on November 24, 2013, 09:09:02 PM
Keith, you could add Mitch Hallstrom to your list of WR's Gone Wild: 8 rec, 127 yds 2 TD's

My cutoffs were double-digit catches or 3 TDs.

For the RBs it was 28 carries. (I aimed for 30 but bent the rules for Framingham State and Maryville because they leaned on their guys sufficiently).

There were other players who had big days but I had to draw my arbitrary lines somewhere.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

QuoteEven taking their playoff worthiness out of the equation, even if we factor out their Top 25 rankings, this game – labeled The Gentlemen's Classic – pits together the only two Division III schools for which the all-male classroom experience has survived into the 21st century.

Um, I think there is a school in MN who fit's this description as well.

National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on September 03, 2014, 09:02:45 AM
QuoteEven taking their playoff worthiness out of the equation, even if we factor out their Top 25 rankings, this game – labeled The Gentlemen's Classic – pits together the only two Division III schools for which the all-male classroom experience has survived into the 21st century.

Nope. St. John's students and St. Ben's students share classrooms.

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 03, 2014, 09:05:40 AM
Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on September 03, 2014, 09:02:45 AM

Nope. St. John's students and St. Ben's students share classrooms.

Ah, I see.
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

Ryan Tipps

If you haven't seen the front page, the handoff from Keith is now complete and my first Around the Nation column has been posted:

http://www.d3football.com/columns/around-the-nation/2014/a-gentlemans-game

I will do my best to respond to any questions and comments, and I encourage any discussion related to ATN or the national scene in D-III to take place here. I look forward to hearing from folks and to bringing D-III to your digital doorsteps!
D3football.com Senior Editor and Around the Nation columnist. On Twitter: @NewsTipps

2.7 seconds. An average football player may need more time to score; a great one finds a way. I've seen greatness happen.

Ralph Turner

Great column about Bryan Bing.

Isn't that story the real reason that we love D-3 football?

The leadership that Bryan is "living" will be his greatest achievement that came from playing football at Methodist.

Ryan Tipps

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 11, 2014, 11:59:22 AM
Great column about Bryan Bing.

Isn't that story the real reason that we love D-3 football?

The leadership that Bryan is "living" will be his greatest achievement that came from playing football at Methodist.

Bryan was awesome to talk to: smart, eager, determined. What he overcame is a true #whyd3 story.
D3football.com Senior Editor and Around the Nation columnist. On Twitter: @NewsTipps

2.7 seconds. An average football player may need more time to score; a great one finds a way. I've seen greatness happen.

USee

Ryan,

Thanks for your "snap judgements" piece. I would only point out  the CCIW is one of 11 conferences that hasn't yet started conference play.  The "independents" like U Chicago and Wash U, etc also haven't started play against each other but that's not really a conference any more.

Ryan Tipps

Quote from: USee on September 28, 2014, 06:52:48 PM
Ryan,

Thanks for your "snap judgements" piece. I would only point out  the CCIW is one of 11 conferences that hasn't yet started conference play.  The "independents" like U Chicago and Wash U, etc also haven't started play against each other but that's not really a conference any more.

My apologies! Thanks for the catch, USee. I've updated it on the site.