2018 Season - National Perspective

Started by Flying Weasel, March 26, 2018, 10:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TyWebb

Quote from: truenorth on November 30, 2018, 08:32:59 AM
Also, interesting to note that only 4 of the 49 All Americans are from New England schools, despite the heavy concentration of D3 schools in New England.  Must mean the non-New England schools do a much better job of recruiting top shelf talent...

I counted six from the New England region: Marcucci-Conn C., Braun-Tufts, Greenspan-Babson, Gaumer-St. Joe's Maine, Niang-Bowdoin, Igo-Salve Regina.

I don't agree with your assessment of other regions doing a better job recruiting top talent (maybe that was tongue-in-cheek??). I am guessing that when choosing these All-American
teams, there is an eye to balanced representation throughout all 8 regions with many worthy candidates from each.

Ejay

What a joke. I have a huge issue with these teams.  8/15 on first team are forwards? If you have to go to 15 players, why load up on forwards if every school plays with fewer forwards than midfielders and defenders.  Forward would be the least deserving of extra spots.

blooter442

I have my own thoughts about some of the selections being "interesting," but one I was impressed by was Groothoff. Everyone knows I am a Groothoff fan but this is a kid who played CM in high school and played very well at CB as a 5'11" freshman. First Messiah FY AA since Kai Kasiguran.

Also, I don't think we can say that Ruiz-Plaza isn't appreciated anymore. That may have been tongue-in-cheek, but, still.

Gregory Sager

Congratulations to North Park senior CB Ricky Pimentel and sophomore midfielder Peder Olsen upon being named to the 2018 USC All-American team. This marks the first time that NPU has placed two players on a USC A-A squad.

This was an historic year for Olsen, as he became the first player in CCIW history to lead the league in goals and assists within the span of a career ... and he did both in the same season.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

NEsoccerfan

Quote from: EB2319 on November 30, 2018, 10:13:08 AM
What a joke. I have a huge issue with these teams.  8/15 on first team are forwards? If you have to go to 15 players, why load up on forwards if every school plays with fewer forwards than midfielders and defenders.  Forward would be the least deserving of extra spots.

Solid point.

Mr.Right

Conn College GK AJ Marcucci as a Soph gets 1st team AA.....Along with Groothoff is very impressive....Now they both have the next 2 and 3 years respectively to live up to those expectations......

FelixCloudy

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 30, 2018, 10:55:03 AM
Conn College GK AJ Marcucci as a Soph gets 1st team AA.....Along with Groothoff is very impressive....Now they both have the next 2 and 3 years respectively to live up to those expectations......

Marucci had a great year - ranked first in save % and 2nd in GAA, and 10th in shutouts.  Talented kid, rocked it with his back line. However, I completely don't get the second or third team keeper picks.  Any idea what the criteria for GK AA picks are?  Other than they are first team regional winners in 3 separate regions (NE, East and South Atlantic?)

truenorth

Quote from: TyWebb on November 30, 2018, 10:09:45 AM
Also, interesting to note that only 4 of the 49 All Americans are from New England schools, despite the heavy concentration of D3 schools in New England.  Must mean the non-New England schools do a much better job of recruiting top shelf talent...

I counted six from the New England region: Marcucci-Conn C., Braun-Tufts, Greenspan-Babson, Gaumer-St. Joe's Maine, Niang-Bowdoin, Igo-Salve Regina.

I don't agree with your assessment of other regions doing a better job recruiting top talent (maybe that was tongue-in-cheek??). I am guessing that when choosing these All-American
teams, there is an eye to balanced representation throughout all 8 regions with many worthy candidates from each.

My tally was obviously inaccurate Ty Webb, but my fundamental point still stands...and yes it was tongue in cheek...  I don't pretend to understand the dynamics in national polls or coaches' votes and selections...but there does appear to be disproportionate amount of love (relative to the number of schools and relative quality of programs) for the midwest.  I am admittedly a New Englander and a NESCAC fan, so I could be biased and inaccurate in my perceptions.  If so, please provide corrective data...

TyWebb

Quote from: truenorth on November 30, 2018, 08:01:54 PM
Quote from: TyWebb on November 30, 2018, 10:09:45 AM

My tally was obviously inaccurate Ty Webb, but my fundamental point still stands...and yes it was tongue in cheek...  I don't pretend to understand the dynamics in national polls or coaches' votes and selections...but there does appear to be disproportionate amount of love (relative to the number of schools and relative quality of programs) for the midwest.  I am admittedly a New Englander and a NESCAC fan, so I could be biased and inaccurate in my perceptions.  If so, please provide corrective data...

Truenorth, it sounds like we fall into the same camp at being biased towards New England schools, which was the impetus for me correcting your number chosen from the region. I have no corrective data to offer regarding a disproportionate amount of players chosen All-American relative to regions. The All-American selections do make for good debate while waiting for the semis to start.

truenorth

Fair enough TyWebb...and it sounds like--given our admitted biases--we might each be gratified that a NESCAC/New England school managed to win the men's title today...  It will be interesting to see who prevails on the women's side between Williams and Middlebury...

d4_Pace

The All-American selections are absurd. The fact that Tufts only got 1 is a travesty.  Sterling was easily one of the top 3 outside backs in the country, shoutout to the Calvin freshmen right back who did a great job against tasker that kid will have a great career. But Tasker was easily one of the top wingers in the country and absolutely torched teams once Tufts got out of the NESCAC where he was targeted every game.

Finally, Biagio Paoletta is one of the best centerbacks in the country as a sophomore and an absolute warrior. Played the whole year with injuries including the calf injury yesterday. Definitely not one of Mr Right's two glove guys. 

The reality is NESCAC teams will never put up the stats of the other conferences but I think they have more than proven their place on the national stage. 

1970s NESCAC Player

Quote from: d4_Pace on December 02, 2018, 10:22:45 AM
The All-American selections are absurd. The fact that Tufts only got 1 is a travesty.  Sterling was easily one of the top 3 outside backs in the country, shoutout to the Calvin freshmen right back who did a great job against tasker that kid will have a great career. But Tasker was easily one of the top wingers in the country and absolutely torched teams once Tufts got out of the NESCAC where he was targeted every game.

Finally, Biagio Paoletta is one of the best centerbacks in the country as a sophomore and an absolute warrior. Played the whole year with injuries including the calf injury yesterday. Definitely not one of Mr Right's two glove guys. 

The reality is NESCAC teams will never put up the stats of the other conferences but I think they have more than proven their place on the national stage.

Spot on d4P!

Flying Weasel

Since no one posted it all yesterday . . .

Though certainly not a given, but also hardly surprising . . . Messiah's senior forward Nick West has been named USC Player of the Year.  Messiah made the announcement Thursday evening.

https://gomessiah.com/news/2018/12/7/mens-soccer-nick-west-honored-as-the-national-player-of-the-year.aspx

MaturinNYC

Quote from: Flying Weasel on December 08, 2018, 08:45:57 AM
Since no one posted it all yesterday . . .

Though certainly not a give, but also hardly surprising . . . Messiah's senior forward Nick West has been named USC Player of the Year.  Messiah made the announcement evening Thursday.

https://gomessiah.com/news/2018/12/7/mens-soccer-nick-west-honored-as-the-national-player-of-the-year.aspx

Congrats to Mr. West!  That's such a hard award to really prove, but in this case there can't be much doubt - 30 goals, wow.
Father, club & HS coach, sometime ref and ever a fan of the game

offside position

Quote from: FelixCloudy on November 30, 2018, 05:12:32 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on November 30, 2018, 10:55:03 AM

Marucci had a great year - ranked first in save % and 2nd in GAA, and 10th in shutouts.  Talented kid, rocked it with his back line. However, I completely don't get the second or third team keeper picks.  Any idea what the criteria for GK AA picks are?  Other than they are first team regional winners in 3 separate regions (NE, East and South Atlantic?)

Good question Felix.  I think you do have to be 1st team All-Region for AA consideration.  But what are the criteria for GK picks in the regions?  I can tell you for the South Atlantic it is simple - just be named the ODAC 1st team GK.  SEVEN years in a row now by my count.  Stats don't support it. ODAC is certainly not the dominant conference in the region.  I don't really know what the process is, but it's safe to say there is a systemic problem that continues to be unfair to some deserving GK's (fortunately this site has recognized a couple).  I don't want to get into specific seasons, but how does the kid from Mary Washington not make any All-Region team this year when it seems obvious he should have been 1st team?