FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oline89

Quote from: ITH radio on May 14, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
Some of those new recruits will be pressed into duty pretty quickly as there are holes on the defensive side of the ball that need addressing. Statesmen had the worst pass D in the LL last season (based on YPG allowed) and second worst defensive pass eff, TDs allowed and total passing yards allowed. They'll need replacements for Ball at DE, Robak at NG, both ILB positions, and D'Antonio at CB.

Ball and Robak were defensive stalwarts and barely came off the field (Ball actually played every defensive play down to the last snap in the 51-12 game at Rochester).  The bad news is that their backups barely recorded any varsity playing time. The good news is that before leaning on Freshman, there are several JR and SO DE's and DT's that should fill the void.  SO Jared Leake, actually did some playing time at CB last year, and has the potential to be a star at CB.  Now the QB position, another story.......

Oline89

100 days to Kickoff 2018!!

unionpalooza

Thanks for the good analysis, here.  Would be interesting to get similarly informed takes on the other LL teams.  I confess Union remains a bit of a mystery to me.  On the one hand, they lose very little from a 7-4 squad that took a major step forward but certainly wasn't blowing anyone out.  Lombardo at LB will be missed, as will Nelson at safety, but even those are likely "next man up" situations with talent behind them.  Last year's two stud QB recruits, Will Bellamy from LA and the younger Germiniero from Troy, should compete for that role, and I think either is likely to be a strong step up from Cascione's solid performance.  And lots of talented kids coming in at the skill positions, so I'd expect a major upgrade there.  To me, the key will be whether the Dutchmen can finally put together a strong O-line and pound the rock in the Union style of old.  We started 4 freshman on the line last year, so there's some hope.  If they can, the team should be in the hunt for a LL title once again, with a little more finishing power than we saw last year.  If not, a 5-4 or 6-3ish season seems about right.  (The OOC schedule is still on the softer side, though at least they swapped SUNY Morrisville out for Springfield.  Husson, Curry, and CG remain.)

Some of those new recruits will be pressed into duty pretty quickly as there are holes on the defensive side of the ball that need addressing. Statesmen had the worst pass D in the LL last season (based on YPG allowed) and second worst defensive pass eff, TDs allowed and total passing yards allowed. They'll need replacements for Ball at DE, Robak at NG, both ILB positions, and D'Antonio at CB.

dlippiel

Quote from: unionpalooza on June 06, 2018, 01:22:36 PM
Thanks for the good analysis, here.  Would be interesting to get similarly informed takes on the other LL teams.  I confess Union remains a bit of a mystery to me.  On the one hand, they lose very little from a 7-4 squad that took a major step forward but certainly wasn't blowing anyone out.  Lombardo at LB will be missed, as will Nelson at safety, but even those are likely "next man up" situations with talent behind them.  Last year's two stud QB recruits, Will Bellamy from LA and the younger Germiniero from Troy, should compete for that role, and I think either is likely to be a strong step up from Cascione's solid performance.  And lots of talented kids coming in at the skill positions, so I'd expect a major upgrade there.  To me, the key will be whether the Dutchmen can finally put together a strong O-line and pound the rock in the Union style of old.  We started 4 freshman on the line last year, so there's some hope.  If they can, the team should be in the hunt for a LL title once again, with a little more finishing power than we saw last year.  If not, a 5-4 or 6-3ish season seems about right.  (The OOC schedule is still on the softer side, though at least they swapped SUNY Morrisville out for Springfield.  Husson, Curry, and CG remain.)

Nice post UP. Dlip concurrs that the Dutchmen will be a bit of a mystery but again, as he has been saying, at least the mystery sits in the reality of a very probable winning season and for that dlip is very grateful.

Coach B and DC Sanders seem to have a belief in putting many or most of their best athletes on the defensive side of the football (which dlip loves). He agrees that while Lombardo and Nelson will be missed that there seems to be enough of a depth of athletes on that side of the ball that someone will step up. One of dlip's favorites at the LB position is Hunter Ordukanyon. dlip believes he was hurt for a good portion of 2017. dlip really likes him and his aggressive tough play. Hopefully he will be healthy and in the mix.

dlip also was very impressed with that young line last season. He thought they overachieved for their youthfulness and hopes that they will return with a year under their belts and be very hungry to lead the ground game of Coach B.

Regarding the QB situation do you not expect Cascione to get the job? dlip was very impressed with Will B as a freshman and knows he will certainly put a ton of pressure on Nick. What are your thoughts specifically on this? dlip really likes the athleticism of Germinerio but kind of expected a bit more from him. He seems like a class kid with a great upside. Maybe through off season preparation and work he'll come into camp ready to make some noise.

dlip and rlip (dlip's father) are super ****ing pumped for the 2018 season. We bleed garnet!

Bartman

Dlip,
     Good luck with the "mystery" of a new season...the Statesmen are equally mysterious as we fill gaps from last year on  defense , offensive line , wide receiver and a huge loss in QB. As always, it is a team game and hopefully Coach DeWall will pick up where Coach Cragg left off, but it will take time for Coach DeWall to get his sea legs....I think the run game and ball control will be back(Dakota Harvey please stay healthy as we develop the RB depth) and the air game approach allowed to grow under Coach Drach will now be more strategic and look more like the teams of the past.....hopefully there will be buy-in by the team with the new staff and they will match the talents to the chosen schemes. Good luck to the entire LL and looking forward to the pure competition of D3 Football. Less than two months to REAL practice.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

ITH radio

Dlip - hope all is well w/ you and your family.

Are you aware of any of the 13 SRs from last season's roster who are coming back (e.g. as a 5th yr b/c of eligibility, etc.)?
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Oline89

Off season question for all of you LL/E8 experts, how do you think the LL ranks against the Centennial League today and historically.  I think the leagues stack up pretty well against each other academically, but I feel from a football talent level, the LL is superior.  I live down here in PA, hotbed of Centennial recruits and I am amazed how few of the high quality HS players consider LL, ITH, Union, RPI, ROC and rather end up at F&M or Muhlenberg.  ITH has been recruiting heavier down here, but not many others in the LL

UfanBill

Quote from: Oline79 on June 23, 2018, 12:38:57 PM
Off season question for all of you LL/E8 experts, how do you think the LL ranks against the Centennial League today and historically.  I think the leagues stack up pretty well against each other academically, but I feel from a football talent level, the LL is superior.  I live down here in PA, hotbed of Centennial recruits and I am amazed how few of the high quality HS players consider LL, ITH, Union, RPI, ROC and rather end up at F&M or Muhlenberg.  ITH has been recruiting heavier down here, but not many others in the LL

I agree that the schools are academically similar and would probably match up well on the field. Union has played home and home games and held their own against CC teams Franklin and Marshall(1-0) Dickinson(2-2) Muhlenburg(3-5) and Gettysburg(3-0) and of course Susquehanna(3-3) was a LL member from 2007-09 and actually won the LL title before joining the CC. Hobart played an opener with Dickinson for years. The LL and E8 are always looking for OOC games but with the 10 team CC playing only one OOC game yearly, they play nearby MAC opponents and have no room to schedule NYS schools. That leaves only the rare ECAC or NCAA matchup. 
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

UfanBill

Oline79...in addressing your comments about the LL recruiting in Pennsylvania. Union has NO Pennsylvania kids on it's current roster including it's 39 recruits! That would infer as you suggest that they don't recruit Pennsylvania  ???  Ithaca has ten. Hobart five. Maybe that's the difference maker.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Bartman

Hobart has established contacts with some very good private schools in PA (William Penn Charter and Episcopal Academy) as well as high schools in central and western ,pa. While it is limited to a handful of recruits each year, the relationships endure if the student athlete has a good experience. Coach Cragg and outgoing AD Mike Hanna were PA boys, so that probably helped as well.  The competition for the Western and Central , NY prosepects is pretty intense , so casting a wider net may challenge the coaches but it helps.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Oline89

I honestly think that one of the problems for recruiting here in Eastern PA is the D2 schools.  Kids (and their parents) who are high level football players, and top notch students, are (IMO) convinced incorrectly that getting a scholarship and the "prestiige" of playing D2 over D3 is superior.The quality of play at the top schools in LL/E8 is equal to the PA D2 schools, and the academics are incomparable.

bman

Quote from: Oline79 on June 25, 2018, 10:24:07 AM
I honestly think that one of the problems for recruiting here in Eastern PA is the D2 schools.  Kids (and their parents) who are high level football players, and top notch students, are (IMO) convinced incorrectly that getting a scholarship and the "prestiige" of playing D2 over D3 is superior.The quality of play at the top schools in LL/E8 is equal to the PA D2 schools, and the academics are incomparable.

With all due repect Oline, the bolded statement is dubious at best.   Maybe a restatement of "The quality of play at the top schools in LL/E8 is equal to the lower tier of the PA D2 schools.

West Chester used to play Delaware (and generally has been competitive and even has beaten them a couple of times - granted not for quite some time).   The top tier of D2 would win easily against any of the PA D3 teams, and the top 5 would probably lay 70 on even the best PA D3 team....
...no disrespect...just keeping it real here

Oline89

Quote from: bman on June 25, 2018, 11:02:18 AM
Quote from: Oline79 on June 25, 2018, 10:24:07 AM

With all due repect Oline, the bolded statement is dubious at best.   Maybe a restatement of "The quality of play at the top schools in LL/E8 is equal to the lower tier of the PA D2 schools.

West Chester used to play Delaware (and generally has been competitive and even has beaten them a couple of times - granted not for quite some time).   The top tier of D2 would win easily against any of the PA D3 teams, and the top 5 would probably lay 70 on even the best PA D3 team....
...no disrespect...just keeping it real here

I agree completely, when comparing top tier D2 to the majority of D3 programs. Reciprocally,  how do you feel top tier D3 would compete against the majority of D2?  My point was that overall quality of top 25 D3 programs, would not see a huge discrepancy to the majority of PA D2 schools.

bman

I definitely agree there Oline.  My feeling is that the top tier of D3 could hang with all but the top tier of D2.  There is so much speed now in every position in the top teams in D2 that they are essentially D1 teams.   Once that element drops, there is virtually no difference...(IMO)

Oline89

Bman, since I am starved for any football talk, let's continue the Debate of D2 v D3 (top tier teams).  If I am a top athlete, and could play at either level, where am I going to get a better "deal"?  A partial scholarship at D2 or grant money from D3?  If the money is equal, and I have a chance to go to higher academically ranked D3 school, plus play football......