MBB: Great Northeast Athletic Conference

Started by Hoops Fan, December 17, 2004, 12:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

officer cadet

Congrats Successful season Albertus and Falcons fans.
Falcons led grade up GNAC reputation and increase exposure GNAC conference .

lildave678

Moving ahead to recruiting, I was just curious if maybe any Falcon supporters can chime in -- Obviously I'm not QUESTIONING Mitch's recruiting. He's proven he can bring in the talent necessary to build a program. And I know D3 obviously has limited resources so it seems Mitch spends most of his time that isn't local in the NY/NJ area...but any thoughts on why he hasn't tapped into Mass at all? Obviously Massachusetts has a million schools (a bunch in the GNAC too), but I was browsing NERR and there are a VARIETY of D3 schools listed for Mass' 2014 recruits - Nichols, WPI, Swarthmore, Brandeis, Norwich, Conn College, Amherst. Sure, most if not all of those schools seem to have a higher academic prestige but it seems like there should be SOME talent he could acquire from the state above us...Any thoughts? 

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I've been told by coaches that the primary decisions they make for recruiting are on available financial aid and facilities.  If your school's facilities aren't great or you can't offer the kind of aid other schools can, it's going to be tough to recruit Massachusetts, where the kids can visit 20 different schools easily.  It's much easier to bring in kids from farther away (essentially so they only see your school and not lots of other options).

I don't know anything about Albertus Magnus - other than that it's small, relatively young, and the gym wasn't qualified to host a sectional.  To me that says, likely, financial aid and facilities are not going to be on par with a lot of competition from Massachusetts schools.

Just a guess.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Saint-Paul

Well, the Domino season is just about over and it appears that the Saints are going to stand pat again. That is discouraging, very demoralizing and discouraging. I guess that the AD has trouble reading a stat sheet.  This Saints program has been the worst team in the GNAC over the last five years, leading the conference with 93 LOSSES. That far exceeds any other conference team. It is not just about the wins and losses.  It is about the manner in which all the losses occur and the way that the program is being run. Turning very winnable games into heartbreaking losses because of a faulty game plan which allows mediocre teams to become world beaters.   
      Besides losing 93 games, the Saints also spent the last five years accumulating 2,202 turnovers , and have given up 9,502 points allowed. The turnovers and the points allowed are only the tip of the iceberg. For the last five years the Saints have had a negative assist to turnover ratio each year, for a grand total of 1,508  assists / 2,202 turnovers. That is just not a well coached team.  Any time your players are throwing the ball away more times than they are setting up teammates for baskets that is a sign of a fundamentally unsound team that is poorly coached. The negative assist to turnover ratio clearly shows that the wrong players are on the court, the wrong game plan is being used, the wrong players are shooting the ball, and the wrong development drills are being run in practice.
    You can't keep blaming the players for the negative assist to turnover ratio because over the last five years there has been five completely different lineups and five completely different rosters. The only common denominator over the last five years is the coaching staff.    How long can the AD continue to ignor 60% of the new recruits quitting the team each year? Doesn't the AD see the parade of players turning their jerseys and quitting the team to get away from this coach.  Maybe it is time to stop holding the coach responsible ( his game plan is not going to change ) and start asking questions about the competency of the AD to evaluate a college basketball program.

D3HoopJunkie

Hello GNAC'ers, The off-season is hands-down one of my favorite times of the year and while I haven't gotten any specific names it's sounding more and more like Coach Oliver is striking gold once again with JUCO tranfers and specifically one who is incredibly gifted and could be better then what we saw come in last year combined. Its really amazing. I just dont know how he is able to do it but im sure glad he is. If i can gets some names I will post them soon. Recruiting season is what gets me through till Late October and the Falcons never seem to disappoint!!

Saint, sounds like tough times ahead. Even though we are conference rivals I really hope the Saints can turn it around and be competitive. Its hard to beleive that with such a beautiful facility and great location recruiting and the program in general has got to be better. Not to mention great academics programs as well. All the best. Maybe this will be a wale up call for the AD or Coach Jackson

GnacBballFan

Junkie, I am hearing some juco from Brooklyn that played with eian

D3HoopJunkie

GNAC, I am hearing the same thing! I heard he is a power forward with good size and a really gifted shooter. Sounds almost like a Darius Watson type build and ability.

I also heard that Coach Oliver is using his contacts in NJ and scoring down there as well. Marcus Walker was a great NJ pick up last year and I think with a hard working off season he might be primed for a big year. Last years team depth really hindered his ability to showcase his talent to us IMO but I think he will get more minutes this year. If not more minutes I really feel like he will at least contribute more and be more aggressive when he is in the game. I really love his game.

I wish I could get some names but right now all I am hearing is stuff straight from the rumor mill so I guess will just have to be patient. 

GnacBballFan

Here's albertus' top incoming recruit as of right now. Another steal from Oliver, and someone who can possibly fill the void by Watson immediately. 51% from the field, 42% from 3

http://www.unionowls.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/bios/mitchell_shaquille_lrq5

GnacBballFan

Pretty good game

http://www.unionowls.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/boxscores/20140130_r9ej.xml

Seems like a slasher/get to the rim guy. Him and eian side by side might be dangerous

D3HoopJunkie

Wow GNAC thats awesome!

I heard that there are a couple more JUCO players, one who is an absolute stud and at least 6 freshman. Sounds to me like we could have a very deep and talented recruiting class this year. On top of everyone with the exception of Watson returning.

I almost think that its going to be tough for Oliver to motivate and get the most out of his role players when there number is called because with such depth their minute may decline. Certainly a good problem to have IMO but at the same time this goes to show how crucial pre-season and practices are. I have all the confidence in the world in Olivers ability to go with the right player rotations and lead us to another GNAC Championhip and deep NCAA tourney run!

GnacBballFan

Hey junkie, got even better news! Just ran into coach Oliver at lunch. He said Mitchell is a Watson type player, but apparently some kid from Brooklyn that they call "sticks" is his best incoming recruit. Juco 6'6. I'll get the name. He said this is his best recruiting class ever, WOW

GnacBballFan

GnacBballFan

Heres Rameau, #33 in black. He scores the first basket of the game and that's when I stopped watching lol all I needed to see lol

nescac1

Wow. AMC is fast building what Cabrini has done over the past five years, and what Rowan was able to do in the mid 1990's.  It's only a matter of time before they appear, like those two programs before them, in an NCAA title game.  If Eian Davis can develop any sort of credible three point shot, he can be a first-team all-American.  Even if not, with more weapons to distribute the ball to, he could easily average 9 plus assists per game next year.  I feel like AMC was one major weapon short last year, but if they can replace Watson with two new stars, and get more out of a deeper and more experienced bench, the sky is the limit. 

Given how much talent most of the top 10 teams lose, I think AMC is a top-five, at worst top-ten, team in the national rankings to start the season next year, and is right there with Amherst, Williams, Midd, WPI, and MIT as legit contenders for the top team in New England.  Given that Amherst/Williams both lost first-team all-Americans, and Williams lost its coach, I'd actually say that AMC is the team to beat in New England headed into the season, even though those two other squads made it all the way to Salem last year.  The only question re: AMC is how quickly all the new guys will integrate and how the pieces will fit togther.  If I was AMC's coach, I'd try to schedule top-notch opponents for every non-conference game, to the extent they can find good teams willing to play them, because the competition they face in their league is not a great preparation for NCAA play, which also puts them at a disadvantage.  Still, they are putting together a very scary squad.