BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Any thoughts on Ed Mathey coming back to run the NCC baseball program?
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

robertgoulet

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 21, 2014, 12:24:55 AM

GS - Was wondering about that. Mathey was there when I was there and I know he was highly thought of by the players. He seems to have been pretty successful at turning the NIU program around. I can't imagine NCC is paying him more than NIU was (not that money is everything). He is an NCC grad, and is from the burbs...so maybe it's just a case of wanting to come "home"?

Either way, great pickup for NCC!
You win! You always do!

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

BigPoppa

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 21, 2014, 12:24:55 AM

This is a great hire for NCC. He is a great guy (had a lot of conversations with him while playing 3b for Carthage). This will likely put NCC back on the national map and has to shake up the CCIW a bit.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

BigPoppa

Carthage released its schedule for 2015. Let's hope the Redmen (one word... my alumnus status will not let me write it any other way) can get back on track this year.

http://athletics.carthage.edu/schedule.aspx?path=baseball&

Nice change of pace by heading to Kentucky (new in 2015) and Indiana for weekend games before heading to Arizona for the Spring Trip. Solid schedule as they get Spalding and Rose-Hulman included in those weekend trips. Additionally, they run into UW-Oshkosh in Indiana as well. The rest of the schedule look pretty similar to years' past. Still waiting for the AZ portion to be posted.

Bishopleftiesdad

I will be interested in seeing the result from the Wabash game. I am very familiar with that program. See they are playing Otterbein as well, at the RH invitational. Another team I know of. Good luck to the Redmen this year. 

mwunder

Quote from: BigPoppa on January 08, 2015, 01:28:06 PM
Carthage released its schedule for 2015. Let's hope the Redmen (one word... my alumnus status will not let me write it any other way) can get back on track this year.

Nice change of pace by heading to Kentucky (new in 2015) and Indiana for weekend games before heading to Arizona for the Spring Trip. Solid schedule as they get Spalding and Rose-Hulman included in those weekend trips. Additionally, they run into UW-Oshkosh in Indiana as well. The rest of the schedule look pretty similar to years' past. Still waiting for the AZ portion to be posted.

Any new faces that will make an impact this season?  What have you heard Poppa.

BigPoppa

Carthage finally has their Spring Trip schedule posted...

Gustavus
Hamline (DH)- a tough one of me as I have three former players of mine on Hamline's roster.
Luther
Middlebury
Carleton
Oberlin
Oberlin (back to back days with a single game)

Let's hope my Redmen can get back on track this year.

BigPoppa

Who is the first CCIW team to get a game in for 2015?

Chantastic

It doesn't look like the schedules have been loaded into the CCIW site yet, although the least interesting preseason poll imaginable has been released.

http://cciw.org/news/2015/2/11/BB_0211150259.aspx

Carbon copy of last year's standings.

Wheaton is scheduled to play Rhodes College a week from Friday on Feb. 20th.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Chantastic on February 11, 2015, 11:36:48 AM

Thanks. I'd assume they open the season for the conference teams.

mr_b

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 11, 2015, 11:43:40 AM
Quote from: Chantastic on February 11, 2015, 11:36:48 AM

Thanks. I'd assume they open the season for the conference teams.
That could be the first CCIW team in action this season.  North Park travels to Georgia to play Berry on the 21st-22nd.

BigPoppa

Anybody have any predictions for the CCIW standings this year?

1. North Park
2. IWU
3. Augustana
4. Carthage
5. North Central
6. Wheaton
7. Elmhurst
8. Millikin

Not sure if y'all agree or not.

Gregory Sager

North Park opened its season with a doubleheader split today at Berry. NPU lost the opener, 11-3, and then took the nightcap, 6-5.

It was 28 degrees and snowing pretty heavily throughout the second game, which seemed to defeat the purpose of traveling all that way to play baseball in a more salubrious climate. ;)

backbackheyhey

Quote from: mwunder on January 15, 2015, 05:21:56 PM
Quote from: BigPoppa on January 08, 2015, 01:28:06 PM

Any new faces that will make an impact this season?  What have you heard Poppa.

From what I hear, Redmen will start two all-conference level seniors at short and catcher along with 5-6 sophomores.  Lots of good young players but unproven at this level. Their # 1 or 2 starter returns from last year with 3-4 promising JC transfers on the mound and and a handful of other promising freshmen and sophomores- again, unproven at this level. I am cautiously optimistic that they can make a good run, especially if the pitching steps up.