MBB: USA South Conference

Started by CNU85, March 16, 2005, 12:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

narch

hops - it didn't come over from the other board, but the monarchs got 3 really nice recruits that i followed and a few that could develop in time with the right work ethic/attitude

a 6'5" post from douglas byrd who led cumberland county in rebounding - averaged a double-double in a very tough high school conference with lots of scholarship athletes - think ron brown, but maybe not as gifted offensively and maybe a bit more athletic

a 6'2"/195 combo guard from richmond senior (eugene grant's high school) - big time player...had numerous d2 offers and drew some low d1 interest, but mc was on him early and hard...having grant on our roster didn't hurt - scored 36 on the pg from westover, who is one of the best in the state - another really tough 4a conference - shot over 50% from 3 and is very physical - big and quick - could be one of the best in the conference if he keeps his head on straight, works hard, takes coaching and doesn't believe all the hype i'm writing :)

a 6'1" pg - true pass-first point from jack britt high school - led cumberland county in assists - should give good minutes backing up grant/lee - solid defender, good shooter

none of these guys should start, but all 3 should add needed depth and punch off the bench and can develop into solid starters down the road

i also heard that there is a pgm student who is a 6'5" pg who plans on playing - he wasn't really "recruited" much, but i heard during open gym at orientation he turned some heads...we'll see - there are a couple others that will push for varsity roster spots and maybe pt, but if the monarchs have to depend on any freshman, either they're BETTER than advertised, or things have gone horribly wrong :)

hoopshops

Narch, that sounds interesting I've heard a little bit about the kid from Richmond he is pretty good. Hopefully he can develop and make a strong backcourt rotation of Grant, Thomas, Lee & Hairston even stronger and step up his soph and really contribute. Have you heard any rumors on the post player from Fayetteville will he be able to help fill the void of Porter and Booth.

narch

hairston won't be back with the monarchs this fall, but that's ok...he really didn't do anything but drive to the basket (although he did that VERY well)...you could play 3 or 4 steps off him because he couldn't shoot a bit - i think mcdonald will be a big-time upgrade as a back-up guard (1 or 2)

mcbride can play, but there is a very large void left by porter - i think realistically, that void will be filled by guys like moore and williams and radmanovich stepping up - i expect the post players to carry less of a scoring load and more of a defense and rebounding role and let the scoring load fall primarily to the perimeter trio

hoopshops

Narch, that sounds interesting sorry that Hairston won't be back your are right he can't shoot but he is very very very very quick. I think the Monarchs will be fine anyway. Hopefully someone will step up in the post. I can't wait until Oct 15 for the season to begin. Any word from the other schools CNU, SU, AU, GC, NCW,  and FC? 

hoopshops

Narch, I heard that Hairston was back on campus and plans on playing ?

narch

hoopshops - i'll give you some credit...my "inside scoop" was apparently wrong...i have to confirm, but i've heard that you're right - if hairston plays, i hope he learns how to shoot and play defense - he can clearly change the tempo of a game, but i'm not a huge fan of his game - certainly nice to have from a depth standpoint, but i hope his attitude is right and that he is dedicated enough to avoid missing games like he did last year after the break between the 1st and 2nd semester

narch

montrell survives katrina - interesting story about former pride player eddie montrell

Swish3

CNU's schedule came out yesterday....in the words of Dickie V.....it's cupcake city!  The only exception would be VA Wesleyan....no more R-MC?  Not too excited....

GO CAPS!

ballgame

I don't know Swish.....while CNU has a L-O-T of home games they're a few hard ones.   The two PA teams in the Myrtle Beach tourney will be tough....plus Methodist and NC Wesleyan on any court.   Have not seen CNU's roster, but expect it to be a LOT different from last years.  I am with ya though......GO CAPS!!!

captj

Once again, CNU's schedule is unbelievable.  12 games before conference play starts and 10 of them are at home, including 7 in a row to start the season.  In all, 12 of 14 games at the Freeman Center to start the season.  I really hoped that after the difficulty we had with tough teams on the road last year we would try to get a little road-tougher this year. 

17 home games and 8 away on the schedule before the USASAC Tournament.  That 17-8 seems eerily similar to last year's final record of 18-8.  Oh well, I guess from a purely spectator perspective lots of home games are nice.  Probably a rebuilding year anyway.  Can't wait to see the new team!  Get in the gym guys!

ballgame

You're right captj, lots of games to attend....will be fun!  But if by the grace of God they make the tournament the lack of experience playing "away" may come back to haunt them!  Just went back and checked the schedule.....looks like the USA South Conference Final Four is at the Freeman Center also! 

captj

Right, I saw that too.  We better finish high enough in conference play that we get to host that first round game or the only people in the Freeman for the Final Four will be those that arrived by bus!

Swish3

ballgame,

I was referring to the out of conference games.  Anyone know what happened with R-MC?  We get to host....sweet!

GO CAPS!

ballgame

Well swish, I'll be the first to admit I'm not to good at reading between the lines....anyway, nice little article in the Daily Press about CNU's newcomers and schedule for 2006.  It can be viewed online.  Have a good one.