FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie

Quote from: xPolarDadx on October 14, 2021, 01:26:39 PM
Note: they still have 6:45 or 7 a.m. lifts (2x a week for varsity, 4 x a week for non-starters in season).

This is standard and reasonable times. I even know some kids in season who cant make these times and fit them into different intervals in the day prior to practice. But an entire team practice at that hour is nuts.

jumpshot

Charlie, et. al, Williams of course has classes in the afternoon! What the EPHS have done effectively for decades is the "division of the day" by which practices do not start prior to 4:00 pm and classes do not extend past 4:00 pm. Occasional exceptions may include labs, night special tests. Incidentally, all head coaches are members of the faculty with full standing, and each team has an academic faculty member assigned reinforcing an excellent natural culture. Long-standing sound management of a leading institution of higher education does not happen without integrated policies and common sense.

Nescacman

Quote from: jumpshot on October 14, 2021, 03:22:34 PM
Charlie, et. al, Williams of course has classes in the afternoon! What the EPHS have done effectively for decades is the "division of the day" by which practices do not start prior to 4:00 pm and classes do not extend past 4:00 pm. Occasional exceptions may include labs, night special tests. Incidentally, all head coaches are members of the faculty with full standing, and each team has an academic faculty member assigned reinforcing an excellent natural culture. Long-standing sound management of a leading institution of higher education does not happen without integrated policies and common sense.

In all seriousness, and we can't believe we are talking about this topic in the middle of the season, what the Ephs is doing is common protocol/philosophy/practice at most (if not all) of the NESCAC. Yes, even the forgotten child, the Camels of Conn College.

polbear73

Could not agree more. Ridiculous topic in the middle of the reaon.

Charlie

Quote from: jumpshot on October 14, 2021, 03:22:34 PM

That is what I meant thanks for clarifying

D3FLETCH

Quote from: nescac1 on October 12, 2021, 07:41:44 AM
Civetti took a program that was the absolute bottom feeder in NESCAC for an entire decade, and made it competitive year in and year out.  You don't do that without being able to recruit. 

Samko 2000-2007 29-35
Civetti 2011-Present 33-44

lumbercat

But you have to cut Civetti some slack based on the program he inherited- it was awful- He had an unsupportive administration and an indifferent AD. Civettis first few years of losses sit with Willy Samko who had no support either. Civetti was the lowest payed head coach in the conference just trying to grind things out. He was on the verge of being fired, check the record. Then, along came his gift out of the sky.....a new AD came in followed closely by a new President (or vice version) who was a Football Fan and things took off from there. He was given more support than he ever anticipated.

Civetti needs to take a demonstrative step forward because there are no more excuses in Medford- he's got arguably the best situation in the league other than Trinity. He Needs to win a title soon. Not entirely sure, but beleive he makes play calls, possibly with input from Frankie Houser in the sky.....but Tufts game management on game day has not been good for a few years.

The blueprint for the resurgent NESCAC Football programs in the last 10-15 years consists of schools with Presidents who support Football and want to win.

Wesleyan, Tufts......and believe me, despite the rips on the Colby program recently, they are the next program to take that step up based on the unprecedented administrative support they are getting.

If you want to forecast the success of NESCAC programs find out if there are any Football Fans at the top of the administration and in admissions. It's impossible to win with any regularity in this conference without that dynamic.........unless you are talking about Williams and Amherst......the NESCAC Harvard/Yale----

Nescacman

Quote from: lumbercat on October 14, 2021, 09:40:26 PM
But you have to cut Civetti some slack based on the program he inherited- it was awful- He had an unsupportive administration and an indifferent AD. Civettis first few years of losses sit with Willy Samko who had no support either. Civetti was the lowest payed head coach in the conference just trying to grind things out. He was on the verge of being fired, check the record. Then, along came his gift out of the sky.....a new AD came in followed closely by a new President (or vice version) who was a Football Fan and things took off from there. He was given more support than he ever anticipated.

Civetti needs to take a demonstrative step forward because there are no more excuses in Medford- he's got arguably the best situation in the league other than Trinity. He Needs to win a title soon. Not entirely sure, but beleive he makes play calls, possibly with input from Frankie Houser in the sky.....but Tufts game management on game day has not been good for a few years.

The blueprint for the resurgent NESCAC Football programs in the last 10-15 years consists of schools with Presidents who support Football and want to win.

Wesleyan, Tufts......and believe me, despite the rips on the Colby program recently, they are the next program to take that step up based on the unprecedented administrative support they are getting.

If you want to forecast the success of NESCAC programs find out if there are any Football Fans at the top of the administration and in admissions. It's impossible to win with any regularity in this conference without that dynamic.........unless you are talking about Williams and Amherst......the NESCAC Harvard/Yale----

Man lumber, we are in synch these days....could not agree more (with everything)....when can we buy you that beer?

Let's not also forget that Tufts is by far the biggest school in the conference, larger than some FCS schools, and is one of only two full fledged universities in the conference, easily allowing their student-athletes to medical red-shirt and take a fifth year as a grad student in non-covid years if they missed time due to serious injury....Plus they are located in highly desirable metro Boston and have a brand new facility.

No one should be crying for the Jumbo's... 

In a related story, Michael Roth just renewed for another 5 years at Wes so the beat should go on there...

lumbercat

I've met Civetti a couple of times- really respect the way he carries himself. I've watched countless practices in Medford. I was a big rooter when Civ took the Jumbos job as a huge underdog. I  have always rooted for him unless he was playing Bates. He's a great recruiter and program builder but I think he's an OL coach who is having trouble taking that difficult step to a top Head Coach on game day.

At a point in time I saw Civetti and JB Wells as being very similar. Altought it didn't look that way at the time, Civetti got into the right place at Tufts while Wells found himself in Football purgatory at Bowdoin. Right place, wrong time and vice versa for those 2 clones. 2 very similar coaches with different fortunes who were situated at very different cultures in the same league

They talk about it not being about X's and O's but more about Jimmies and Joes---To me that's a similar analogy to the head coaching game in the Nescac....... Your fortune as a Head Coach in this league is influenced far more significantly by the many  factors around you at a given school as opposed to your pure coaching ability. Administration, Admissions and the silent football opponents in the Faculty.

The preferred Head Coaching jobs in the NESCAC are as good as it gets at this level. Mills will never leave Amherst, Raymond will never leave Williams, Devanny and Ritter the same.They won't leave voluntarily. I think Chuck Priore regrets the day he left Trinity.

These are great gigs but you gotta win- Civetti is currently on the hot hot seat in terns of joining that elite group- he needs a NESCAC title.

Nescacman

Quote from: lumbercat on October 14, 2021, 11:55:08 PM
I've met Civetti a couple of times- really respect the way he carries himself. I've watched countless practices in Medford. I was a big rooter when Civ took the Jumbos job as a huge underdog. I  have always rooted for him unless he was playing Bates. He's a great recruiter and program builder but I think he's an OL coach who is having trouble taking that difficult step to a top Head Coach on game day.

At a point in time I saw Civetti and JB Wells as being very similar. Altought it didn't look that way at the time, Civetti got into the right place at Tufts while Wells found himself in Football purgatory at Bowdoin. Right place, wrong time and vice versa for those 2 clones. 2 very similar coaches with different fortunes who were situated at very different cultures in the same league

They talk about it not being about X's and O's but more about Jimmies and Joes---To me that's a similar analogy to the head coaching game in the Nescac....... Your fortune as a Head Coach in this league is influenced far more significantly by the many  factors around you at a given school as opposed to your pure coaching ability. Administration, Admissions and the silent football opponents in the Faculty.

The preferred Head Coaching jobs in the NESCAC are as good as it gets at this level. Mills will never leave Amherst, Raymond will never leave Williams, Devanny and Ritter the same.They won't leave voluntarily. I think Chuck Priore regrets the day he left Trinity.

These are great gigs but you gotta win- Civetti is currently on the hot hot seat in terns of joining that elite group- he needs a NESCAC title.

A few things Lumber...we agree that Mills and Ritter are pretty locked and they are probably/definitely too old to move up at this point in their career but you don't think Raymond or Devanny would leave if offered the opportunity to step up to an HCOF spot at an Ivy, Patriot or CAA school??? Bet you a beer they would and will...

As far as HCOF Chuck, we don't think he regrets the move to Stony Brook at all...let's not forget, as Hs5-4 will remind us, in his last four years at Hartford State, Chuck was 31-1 with 3 undefeated seasons and won or shared the NESCAC title all 4 years....what did he have left to prove at HS???...unlike HCOF Devanney he was not an alum of HS and had no allegiance to the Bants....HCOF Priore has done pretty well building a solid, winning FCS program in a tough environment on Long Island...kudo's to him...

nescac1

The list of Nescac coaches in any sport who almost certainly could have coached in D1 but stayed in D3 for their entire careers is very, very short: I'd say Farley in football; Hixon in men's hoops; Gromacki in women's hoops (I'm less sure there because I don't know how many women's hoops programs are eager to hire a male coach anymore and he's had some issues with retaining players lately, but he's clearly a D1 coach in D3); Russo in men's soccer.  Nearly every other coach who had a clear opportunity opted for D1, including quite a few across sports over the past decade (Maker, Shapiro, Allison Swain, Tufts lax coach, the two recent women's hoops hires from Bowdoin and Tufts). 

As for Raymond, don't forget that his wife is now the women's head soccer coach at Williams.  They have a great situation both personally and financially in Billsville.  So I think (and I have zero actual knowledge here just guessing) it would take a pretty amazing opportunity to pry him away.  But if, hypothetically, Yale came calling like it did for Siedlicki?  It would be a pretty rare D3 coach to pass that up, I imagine. 

Jonny Utah

Quote from: nescac1 on October 15, 2021, 06:31:58 AM
The list of Nescac coaches in any sport who almost certainly could have coached in D1 but stayed in D3 for their entire careers is very, very short: I'd say Farley in football; Hixon in men's hoops; Gromacki in women's hoops (I'm less sure there because I don't know how many women's hoops programs are eager to hire a male coach anymore and he's had some issues with retaining players lately, but he's clearly a D1 coach in D3); Russo in men's soccer.  Nearly every other coach who had a clear opportunity opted for D1, including quite a few across sports over the past decade (Maker, Shapiro, Allison Swain, Tufts lax coach, the two recent women's hoops hires from Bowdoin and Tufts). 

As for Raymond, don't forget that his wife is now the women's head soccer coach at Williams.  They have a great situation both personally and financially in Billsville.  So I think (and I have zero actual knowledge here just guessing) it would take a pretty amazing opportunity to pry him away.  But if, hypothetically, Yale came calling like it did for Siedlicki?  It would be a pretty rare D3 coach to pass that up, I imagine.

You have to consider whether their goal is to coach d1 or not though either.  Many of the coaches who do not make the jump, most certainly have had the shot to take an OC/DC or positional coaching job at the next level.  The ones that don't probably wouldn't have put in for head jobs either. 

xPolarDadx

Quote from: lumbercat on October 14, 2021, 11:55:08 PM
As has been mentioned before, Tufts has everything going for it... except their recruiting cycle.  For whatever reason (and I strongly believe this is admissions-related and not on the HCOF) they can't get their pre-reads / offers of support done until much later than the other NESCAC schools. 

Even if a kid really likes Tufts, if he's sitting on offers of support in August before senior year from 2-3 other NESCACs, and can apply ED and be done with the whole process, it's a tough ask to wait (when in football you always got to worry about injuries, etc.)

SpringSt7

I haven't once watched Tufts and felt like their talent was the issue. Civetti did a great job of turning them around and I'm not going to pretend to have great insight into his actual coaching. But they've been getting some real dudes the last 5 or so years. Just off the top of my head: McDonald, Brady, Holt, Roche, Dolan, Armstrong, Preston, Adickes, Harrison, Nenandovic. Jacob Carroll led the lead in passing last year, plus I'm sure there's a bunch of OL/DL and other front 7 guys that I didn't name. If it wasn't for how great of a job Civetti has done turning the program around I would say finishing in the top 2 once in the last 5 years has been a little disappointing.

lumbercat

Polardad-

Very interesting point about Tufts recruiting.

Ironically, last Saturday in some pregame coaching banter I learned that Bates has 15 commits for the class of '26 while Tufts has 2.
Speaks directly to your point. I was really surprised when I heard those numbers but your comments provide the answer.

However, Civetti and Tufts have never had a problem recruiting top kids to Tufts regardless of the timetable. Im sure he will  catch up and exceed those numbers as the recruiting cycle starts to wind down.