FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumbercat

Nescacman-

As usual great weekly recap and observations- you make this board go.

That being said I've got to say- can you classify escaping with a W at Bates followed by a missed FG by Bowdoin at the buzzer to avoid overtime as CBB Pillowfights?

The Birds might win 1 more. Easiest schedule in the league so far.

Nescacman

Quote from: lumbercat on October 13, 2021, 10:40:39 PM
Nescacman-

As usual great weekly recap and observations- you make this board go.

That being said I've got to say- can you classify escaping with a W at Bates followed by a missed FG by Bowdoin at the buzzer to avoid overtime as CBB Pillowfights?

The Birds might win 1 more. Easiest schedule in the league so far.

No more pillow fights in the NESCAC this year Lumber....only survival of the fittest...last man/men standing, so to speak...

UBates is def not the patsy that everyone thought they would be...if they get their returner back, they will be even more dangerous...as far as the Polars are concerned, they are a completely different team now that they have an actual college-level QB instead of the imposters they have been playing for the last decade or so...with Eden, Boel is even more dangerous...let's not forget, Bowdoin had the best RB in the league in 2019 in Nate Richam-Odoi and they were still one of the worst offensive teams in the league because you didn't have to respect the pass with McCrummy at the helm...

Definitely a war of attrition in 2021...we believe one of the reasons that Hartford State is having success is because they appear to be the healthiest team among the contenders....might be luck, might be conditioning, might be other factors ??? We're sure Hs5-4 can enlighten us with further insights since he seems closest to the hen house...

polbear73

I still can't get over the sleep schedule comment.  I guess Colby-Bowdoin should reschedule their night game so as to eliminate the lads' further disruption over sleep schedules. 

Nescacman

Quote from: Charlie on October 13, 2021, 01:57:15 PM
Quote from: Jonny Utah on October 13, 2021, 01:47:17 PM
Quote from: Nescacman on October 13, 2021, 01:35:50 PM
2021 NESCACMAN Weekly Power Rankings-Week 4

10 things we learned in Week #4:

1. Congratulations UBates on their first win. For their effort the last two weeks, they are our biggest mover in the polls this week.
2. League is a mess below the top 4 teams. Big drop-off from Top 4 to #5.   
3. Teams who are still playing their opening day starting QB: Hartford State, Ephs, Wes, Colby, UBates. Combined record: 14-6.
4. Teams who are not playing their opening day starting QB: Jumbo's (injury related), Bowdoin (performance related), Middlebury (injury), Amhurst (performance), Hamilton (performance). Combined record: 6-14.
5. The injury parade continues around the league. Key injuries abound..Jernigan, Simco, Eden, et al...
6. Colby lack of offensive performance is surprising, especially given they have an experienced, decent QB at the helm...problem we see there is that they have no running game.
7. Can Amhurst ride their defense to a Little 3 and league title?
8. Jumbo's off to their worst start since they went 0-8 in 2013.
9. We will have a a new league champ in 2021 with 3 4-0 and 1 3-1 team in contention.
10. Looks like Bowdoin might have found themselves a QB (shocking!).

1). (Tie) TTUN (2021 Record: 4-0; Last Week Rank: 1): Another win; never easy to win against a Maine team at home (ha-ha)......Ranked 1st in scoring O, scoring D, 1st ranked rushing attack...+3 in turnovers...have only thrown 87 passes in 4 games...2 games until the big game vs. Hartford State...next up: @ Hamilton

1). (Tie) Hartford State (2021 Record: 4-0; LW Rank: 3): Certain posters will be happy with this one...1st in total O, total D, passing O...lead 'CAC with 15 sacks for...6th in rushing offense and only averaging 3.1 yards per carry...next up: vs. UBates 

3). (Tie) Wesleyan (2021 Record: 4-0; LW Rank: 1): Cardiac Cards strike again...Wes wins on last drive of the game...longest winning streak in the NESCAC right now (7 games)...offense starting to get it going (27 or more points in last 3 games)...Wes 1st in rushing D, interceptions (6) and turnover ratio (+8)...QBs have thrown 13 TDs (tied for most in the league) and have not throw an INT yet...last in passing D....next up: @ Tufts

4). Amhurst (2021 Record: 3-1; LW Rank: 4): Lord Mammoths winning with very good defense and good enough offense...2nd in 'CAC in rushing O, last in passing O...Pass D is last in the league...-3 in turnover ratio...2-5 on FGs...next up: @ Bowdoin

5). Middlebury (2021 Record: 1-3; LW Rank: 5): Not to repeat ourselves but another loss for the Pants which eliminates them from repeating as NESCAC Champs...still lead league in sacks allowed with 17...MID is 8th in total offense and 9th in passing offense...still last in passing efficiency and only 4 passing TDs in 4 games...11 turnovers are last in the league (9 INTs thrown)...missed QB Jernigan last week...next up: @ Colby   

6). University of Bates (Lewiston Campus)(2021 Record: 1-3; LW Rank: 9): Played well the last 2 weeks beating the Jumbo's and giving Wes a run for their money...middle of the pack in most categories although their passing offense has been good with Costa at the controls...not great running the ball (8th in the league)...great at returning kicks...too many INTs (8)...we suspect that is Costa just trying to do too much...have only allowed 4 sacks....last in league at 3rd down conversion...last in league in penalties by a long shot...next up: @ Hartford State

7). Tufts (2021 Record: 0-4; LW Rank: 6): Another surprising loss...looks like they have found another QB in Berlutti (yes, another Berlutti...this one following in dads footsteps at Tufts)...9th in total D, last in scoring D and last in rushing D...only 3 sacks by them...next up: vs. Wesleyan

8). Hamilton (2021 Record: 2-2; LW Rank: 7): Back to reality against Hartford State...9th in total O, last in total D, 9th in rushing D, 9th in passing D...9th in rushing O...only 3 sacks and 2 INTs for them...next up: vs. Ephs

9). Colby (2021 Record: 1-3; LW Rank: 8): Bad loss against the Ephs...season started out so promising for the Mules...anemic offense (3 TDs in 4 games)...can't run the ball 48.2 yards per game (233 out of 240 teams in NCAA D3)...defense has played OK...more than 80% of their total offensive yards have come via the pass......next up: vs. Middlebury

10). Bowdoin (2021 Record: 0-4; LW Rank: 10): Congratulations to QB Boel on winning OPOTW...if RB Eden is hurt, they are in trouble (leads the 'CAC in rushing)...Polars are last in turnover ratio at -6...have allowed 11 TD passes...next up: vs. Lord Mammoths

After reading this board the past year or so I figured Colby would be 4-0 by now.  Is Cosgrove gone after this year or is he getting a long leash like Aaron Kelton did?

I dont think he will be gone. Colby is changing. They have a big infusion of money from a donor and their acceptance rate is lower than some of top tiered NESCAC schools. The problem is that admissions is not on board with admitting athletes to bolster the football program. Colby's admission  band program for football recruits is nuts. I believe like Bowdoin they are operating from a limited talent pool and kids frankly are just not interested. In addition the archaic practice schedule is nuts these kids are not in the military. You are throwing students sleep schedules off all week long and that is a huge factor. I think these major factors will always keep Colby a middle of the road to below level team unless admissions and there athletic philosophy changes. Recruits will not want to go there. I believe admissions simply does not care about football but there focus is on other sports and academics.

Not to beat a dead horse, but one other point on this thread that no one else has commented on yet...our understanding is that most, if not all, of the NESCAC schools use an "admission band program" similar to Colby (A,B,C bands, students of color, etc)...the Mules are not at all unique in using that system...just want to point that out...

No comment on sleeping, but there are a lot of pillows in Maine!!! Ha-ha...

Charlie

Quote from: polbear73 on October 14, 2021, 06:44:13 AM
I still can't get over the sleep schedule comment.  I guess Colby-Bowdoin should reschedule their night game so as to eliminate the lads' further disruption over sleep schedules.

Perhaps I should clarify the sleep comment is pointed at Colby football practices in full gear at 5:00 am before classes start. No School in NESCAC follows that protocol. I understand team weight lifts at early morning times but this makes no sense at all. One should ask if no NESCAC is practicing full pads at that time and you have yet to have a winning season might you rethink your practice schedule. Why put the kids through this and then throw off schedules on away games. This makes no sense.

Charlie

Quote from: Charlie on October 14, 2021, 10:25:00 AM
Quote from: polbear73 on October 14, 2021, 10:12:49 AM
Is this a joke?

No it is factual !

In fact this practice was stated in their Virtual Junior day webinar with potential recruits this year for 2022. It went onto to say that kids need to prepare for this type of schedule. Lastly in clarification of their admissions band. I know several players who were told their band rating at Colby and these kids are bonfide studs. They actually told them that they were C Band students when one of the kids was offered by Columbia and another from Williams. So I do not know what they are putting in the water up in Maine.

nescac1

Wait Colby legit practices at 5:00 a.m. every day?  What is the rationale for that exactly? 

Charlie

Quote from: nescac1 on October 14, 2021, 11:37:42 AM
Wait Colby legit practices at 5:00 a.m. every day?  What is the rationale for that exactly?

The theory they presented on Virtual Junior day was that they are not having afternoon practices so students can study. But lets face facts you have to go to bed early wake up at at least 4:00 am eat  show up to practice and try be focused and energetic for football. Then what happens when game day especially away games these kids sleeps cycle are all out of whack not to mention energy levels. Its just stupid. They are not in the military and what you are doing is not working let alone an enticement in recruiting.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Charlie on October 14, 2021, 12:31:57 PM

The theory they presented on Virtual Junior day was that they are not having afternoon practices so students can study. But lets face facts you have to go to bed early wake up at at least 4:00 am eat  show up to practice and try be focused and energetic for football. Then what happens when game day especially away games these kids sleeps cycle are all out of whack not to mention energy levels. Its just stupid. They are not in the military and what you are doing is not working let alone an enticement in recruiting.

Boston College practiced at 6am recently, and Harvard has all their spring practices at 6am (with 6am lifts during the season 2-3 times a week depending on how much you play).  The rational at some schools is that students miss football/practice activities if they are held in the afternoon, while no classes are around in the early morning.  Obviously the trade off is the sleep you miss when practices are that early.

5am though?  That seems too early.  You sure it's not 6am?

Nescacman

We have a few alternate reasons for Colby's early AM practice routine:

1. They might be scheduling 5 AM games on Saturday's starting in 2022.
2. HCOF Cos is up at 4 AM and has nothing better to do.
3. HCOF Cos naps every afternoon from 4-6 PM.

;D

xPolarDadx

Quote from: Jonny Utah on October 14, 2021, 01:16:45 PM
Boston College practiced at 6am recently, and Harvard has all their spring practices at 6am (with 6am lifts during the season 2-3 times a week depending on how much you play).  The rational at some schools is that students miss football/practice activities if they are held in the afternoon, while no classes are around in the early morning.  Obviously the trade off is the sleep you miss when practices are that early.

Several Ivies (I think I recall from Princeton visits) have an 'activites' a period from 4-6 p.m. where no classes are scheduled, to allow for sports, club meetings, theater and other things to take place without that issue.  Seems like a good way to encourage involvement by the student body.

xPolarDadx

Note: they still have 6:45 or 7 a.m. lifts (2x a week for varsity, 4 x a week for non-starters in season).

Charlie

Quote from: Jonny Utah on October 14, 2021, 01:16:45 PM
Quote from: Charlie on October 14, 2021, 12:31:57 PM

I understand the spring concept for a myriad of reasons but you are not in football season. In addition some schools you are flexible out of season on times that you lift as long as you get the lifts in.Williams has no classes in afternoon called dead period for classes so does not interfere with sports. Amherst has the same concept from what I hear. No I did not hear it wrong it is 5:00 am !. You would think that the NESCAC schools would try and have similar methodologies. Williams seems to have it down correctly and so does Trinity last I heard and maybe people on this board can attest players did not miss practices and if they did very isolated instances.