FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie

Quote from: nescac1 on November 18, 2021, 12:57:48 PM
I think that has to be Tufts.  Everyone is back on O including Woodson who can move to WR potentially.  Berluti will have lots more experience.  D could have everyone back too as the top six guys are seniors with eligibility left.  If most of those guys return they can only get better on D, right?   If they can find a kicker, that alone is probably worth two more wins!  I don't see anyone else remotely close on paper.

Heard rumblings that Tufts has a few key players going to enter transfer portal to D2 any truth to that ?

Charlie

Quote from: toad22 on August 16, 2005, 03:25:42 PM
Trinity has to have the #1 rank going in - a heavy favorite to win the regular season & the playoffs. Amherst will be very strong, they always are. Bates should be very good again this year. Williams is way down, probably as low as they have been in 20 years. Base on what I saw last year, nobody else is likely to step out of the pack. It looks like a fairly weak league (compared to most of the last 10 years) again this year.

okay now that the season is done can we now talk about playoffs. While I totally get NESCAC wont have it. I still do not understand why the NESCAC champion cannot opt to enter the D3 playoff tournament. I still think that NESCAC should have a an internal playoff championship but we know that wont happen. But Williams if chosen should be allowed to enter tournament.

SpringSt7

nescac1

2005!  That's the most random post ever, so bizarre. 

Sadly for Williams, Toad had no idea what was coming just five years later ... Williams found out what being down TRULY meant from 2011 through 2016!  Glad those days are over ...

I can't imagine who on Tufts would be good enough to transfer to a scholarship level.  They have some very good NESCAC players, but no one who popped in terms of size / speed combo.  Maybe Lutz?  I didn't watch enough of him to say. 

As for playoffs, Charlie, for the last time (if only ...):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2R2sH2ScBM

lumbercat

Quote from: Charlie on November 18, 2021, 07:41:04 PM
I think that has to be Tufts.  Everyone is back on O including Woodson who can move to WR potentially.  Berluti will have lots more experience.  D could have everyone back too as the top six guys are seniors with eligibility left.  If most of those guys return they can only get better on D, right?   If they can find a kicker, that alone is probably worth two more wins!  I don't see anyone else remotely close on paper.

Heard rumblings that Tufts has a few key players going to enter transfer portal to D2 any truth to that ?

Where did you hear that Charlie ?

Nescacman

Quote from: lumbercat on November 18, 2021, 09:52:56 PM
I think that has to be Tufts.  Everyone is back on O including Woodson who can move to WR potentially.  Berluti will have lots more experience.  D could have everyone back too as the top six guys are seniors with eligibility left.  If most of those guys return they can only get better on D, right?   If they canfind a kicker, that alone is probably worth two more wins!  I don't see anyone else remotely close on paper.

For the record, WE did not feed that information to Charlie.... :D

Nescacman

Quote from: SpringSt7 on November 18, 2021, 07:40:01 PM
I hate the way the NESCAC does positions for All-League so this is just how I would rank them and they can do whatever they want with it:

1. Maimaron - duh.
2. Fetter - absurd numbers and they still went 8-1
3. Estevez - carried his team but the other two were ultimately better + head to head
4. UNPOPULAR OPINION: Jernigan - massive disappointment from POTY in 2019 and his Midd team but put up some absurd numbers rushing after we all forgot about them. I like Costa but I just can't get over the 2-7 record and don't think it's right to do pity votes.
5. Costa
6. Berluti

If I was the NESCAC now that I think about it, I would do Maimaron 1st team and Fetter/Estevez 2nd team, it's what they did in 2019 with Jernigan and then Scott/Maimaron. I can't do Estevez as AP again, he played too much QB this year to be any other position.

We think they probably split them...say 2 for 1st team and 2 for second team...our guess, Maimaron and Fetter are 1st team; Estevez and Costa are 2nd team....No room for Joe Willie Jernigan on our all-NESCAC squad in '21...we'd pick both Berlutti and Boel ahead of him...

Here's another interesting one....what do you do at receiver where clearly 4 guys stood out (Girard, Reid, Lutz, Tomlinson)....we say name them all to the 1st team and save the second team for guys like Stola... 

polbear73

Quote from: Charlie on November 18, 2021, 08:16:38 PM
Trinity has to have the #1 rank going in - a heavy favorite to win the regular season & the playoffs. Amherst will be very strong, they always are. Bates should be very good again this year. Williams is way down, probably as low as they have been in 20 years. Base on what I saw last year, nobody else is likely to step out of the pack. It looks like a fairly weak league (compared to most of the last 10 years) again this year.

okay now that the season is done can we now talk about playoffs. While I totally get NESCAC wont have it. I still do not understand why the NESCAC champion cannot opt to enter the D3 playoff tournament. I still think that NESCAC should have a an internal playoff championship but we know that wont happen. But Williams if chosen should be allowed to enter tournament.
Charlie,
Please stop. If you were a true fan of NESCAC, why would you want to see your representative play  with the deck stacked against them having to deal with restrictions that no other D3 has to face?  I have no doubt that the quality of athletes could compete and succeed, but NESCAC would face too many restrictive hurdles.

Charlie, stick to the realistic and maybe people will pay heed to your posts.

BigKat

Wait, Charlie's intel of the often traveled road from Nescac to D2 via the transfer portal isn't true? ;)  Agree, stop with the nonsense. No 5th year ( with eligibility left)on any of these squads would see meaningful playing time at 1-AA which is where they'd possibly jump to.

lumbercat

Dave Murray was viewed as the savior of the Hamilton program when hired 8 years ago. In 7 seasons his record is 18-43. He has never had a winning record. Didn't realize Hamilton Football has not had a winning season since 1996. I recall some very good teams back in the mid 80's but have overlooked their futility thereafter.
I believe there could be some rumblings among Buff 'n Blue alums who have always been a pretty vocal group.
Murray was a winner in his prior coaching tenures and had great credentials coming in but seems to have made little progress with the Hamilton program.

Nescacman

Quote from: lumbercat on November 19, 2021, 09:44:04 AM
Dave Murray was viewed as the savior of the Hamilton program when hired 8 years ago. In 7 seasons his record is 18-43. He has never had a winning record. Didn't realize Hamilton Football has not had a winning season since 1996. I recall some very good teams back in the mid 80's but have overlooked their futility thereafter.
I believe there could be some rumblings among Buff 'n Blue alums who have always been a pretty vocal group.
Murray was a winner in his prior coaching tenures and had great credentials coming in but seems to have made little progress with the Hamilton program.
Could he be on the hot seat?

We've seen this movie before and we all know how it ends...

The Mole

Lumber and they/them, I totally agree. What improvement has been made? 7 years is plenty of time. Hate to see someone's livelihood be subjected to this analysis, but he had to know what he was walking into....61-175 since 1992. Not a great batting average (.258). The needle has not moved. Did not see a lot of difference makers on the field for the Conts. Started out at 2-1 and limped to 6 losses in a row. Said before, but probably the worst team in the league at the end of the season (-98 point differential). The bigger issue remains the administration that allows complacency to continue along.

Quote from: Nescacman on November 19, 2021, 09:57:29 AM
Quote from: lumbercat on November 19, 2021, 09:44:04 AM
Could he be on the hot seat?

We've seen this movie before and we all know how it ends...
TAKE THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

Charlie

Quote from: nescac1 on November 18, 2021, 08:57:36 PM
2005!  That's the most random post ever, so bizarre. 

Sadly for Williams, Toad had no idea what was coming just five years later ... Williams found out what being down TRULY meant from 2011 through 2016!  Glad those days are over ...

I can't imagine who on Tufts would be good enough to transfer to a scholarship level.  They have some very good NESCAC players, but no one who popped in terms of size / speed combo.  Maybe Lutz?  I didn't watch enough of him to say. 

As for playoffs, Charlie, for the last time (if only ...):

Sorry computer gliche.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2R2sH2ScBM

Charlie

Quote from: lumbercat on November 18, 2021, 09:52:56 PM

Strength Coach at school. He said there are rumors a few of the kids are going D2 one for financial reasons and the other because did not like direction of program.

toad22

Quote from: Charlie on November 18, 2021, 08:16:38 PM

I'm pretty sure this post of mine from 2005 was intended to be posted on the basketball board! Whoops! 15 years late!