WBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by onearmedscot, July 15, 2005, 12:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Time for a marathon!

Thursday, Hoopsville will be on the air for at least nine hours in the 7th Annual Hoopsville Marathon Show.

This year's show will feature coaches, administrators, and many others around Division III to give us a sense of the season to date and what is to come. There is only a month or so left in the regular season, so there is plenty to talk about.

For more information about the show and its impact, click here.

The show's guest list is below with a rough idea of when they were scheduled to appear during the live show.

The marathon is also a chance to fundraise of the show. Many fans of Hoopsville ask often how they can give to the program so we can continue doing our work into the future. In the first few years of the Marathon, the fundraising side was an important aspect. However in the last few years, we have shyed away from fundraising as we tried to find other means to financially run the program. After requests from many, we are do have a few ways fans can contribute.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the entire Marathon show LIVE in the video player above. We will effort to turn around podcast episodes of the entire show. They will be available to the right (after the show is off the air).

Guests appear on the Hoopsville Hotline presented by BlueFrame Technology.

And don't forget to interact with the Dave and guests. You can use the social media option to the right and even email (dave.mchugh@d3sports.com) questions to the show.

When it comes to the game of basketball, we love celebrating not only the student-athletes in Division III, but also those who help carry the game forward sometimes outside of the spotlight.

Sunday on Hoopsville, we celebrate those who have made the game of basketball, especially at DIII, so great. Coaches who continue to excel in different parts of the country and programs who play for more than just themselves.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Thursday's Marathon Show in the following ways:
- Main page: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville
- Show page: http://bit.ly/2GBqAuZ (or www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2019-20/marathon)
- Facebook Live Simulcast: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
- YouTube Simulcast: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
- Team1 Sports: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville/
- Team1 Sports app (Android TV, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Roku) - you will either find it under the "live" section or search for the Hoopsville channel

All men's coaches appear in the NABC Coach's Corner. And all guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to dave.mchugh@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options.

Hoopsville Marathon Schedule
Timing approximate and subject to change

Time (ET)GuestSchool/Institution
12:20 p.m.Jim CalhounSt. Joseph's (Conn.) men's coach
12:40 p.m.Pat JuckemNo. 11 WashU men's coach
1:00 p.m.Brian MorehouseNo. 3 Hope women's coach
1:20 p.m.Lauren BusalacchiRipon women's coach
1:40 p.m.Ryan HylandJohn Jay men's coach
2:00 p.m.Dan DutcherNCAA VP for Division III
2:40 p.m.Karin HarveyMontclair State women's coach, Women's National Committee chair
3:00 p.m.Adrienne ShiblesNo. 2 Bowdoin women's coach
3:20 p.m.Kate PearsonCabrini women's coach
3:40 p.m.Matt GilbrideRPI men's coach
4:00 p.m.Sam AtkinsonGallaudet Associate AD for Comm., Men's National Committee Chair
4:20 p.m.Matt DonahueCatholic women's coach
4:40 p.m.Charles KatsiaficasPomona-Pitzer men's coach
5:00 p.m.Jon HerbrechtsmeyerNo. 5 Bethel women's coach
5:20 p.m.Chris CarideoWidener men's coach
5:40 p.m.Dave HixonAmherst men's coach (sabbatical)
6:00 p.m.Tricia CullopWBCA Board President, Toledo women's coach
6:20 p.m.Alex RicheyNo. 18 Oglethorpe women's coach
6:40 p.m.Jody MayAlbion men's coach
7:00 p.m.Dave MacedoNo. 18 Virginia Wesleyan men's coach
7:20 p.m.Melissa KuberkaSt. John Fisher women's coach
8:00 p.m.HOOPSVILLE HAPPY HOUR A gaggle of some of the shows friends - to be announced
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

deiscanton

No one expected 2-18 St. Mary's to hand Bethel its first loss of the season (except maybe St. Mary's themselves)!  What a shocker, congrats to St. Mary's.

Thanks to d3hoops.com on the breaking news.

VT-Alum-NOVA

looking at box and recap, St Mary's led entire game and it was not really close (9 pts at some junctions).  I see a big tumble for Bethel.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

deiscanton

Bethel is ranked at #11 in the D3Hoops.com Top 25 due to their loss at St.Mary's.  Before the win vs Bethel, St.Mary's had only gone 2-0 vs last place team MacAlester.  Since the Bethel win, St. Mary's got another win vs Hamline.

Bethel needs to get into the NCAAs and win some games to get back in the top 5, IMO.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: deiscanton on February 18, 2020, 08:26:27 AM
Bethel is ranked at #11 in the D3Hoops.com Top 25 due to their loss at St.Mary's.  Before the win vs Bethel, St.Mary's had only gone 2-0 vs last place team MacAlester.  Since the Bethel win, St. Mary's got another win vs Hamline.

Bethel needs to get into the NCAAs and win some games to get back in the top 5, IMO.

Someone has been reading Twitter ...

deiscanton

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 18, 2020, 05:44:59 PM

Maybe..... or maybe I have watching Hoopsville a lot. 😊

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: deiscanton on February 18, 2020, 11:30:46 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 18, 2020, 05:44:59 PM

Maybe..... or maybe I have watching Hoopsville a lot. 😊

Oh true ... I mentioned that one on the show ... LOL

jamtod

At this point, I'm assuming Kaia Porter is out for the year for the Tommies?
I wonder how this team would look if she had been available for the year, as I think it's clear she would have been our top player/scorer as a pre-season All-American.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: jamtod on February 19, 2020, 08:52:24 AM
At this point, I'm assuming Kaia Porter is out for the year for the Tommies?
I wonder how this team would look if she had been available for the year, as I think it's clear she would have been our top player/scorer as a pre-season All-American.

She was a preseason all american and she is definitely out for the year.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

jaybird44

It seems that I have been the only member of the only (unofficial) fall sport at WashU, with my 100-mile ultramarathon attempt earlier this month to promote the fight for a cure during Rett Syndrome Awareness Month.  That attempt fell a bit short in miles and fundraising, so I'm going into overtime to try and reach $5,000 in donations.

Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K will commence Friday, October 30 at 8 pm Central, and end at 8 am Halloween morning.  Counting donations received (thanks to retired WashU men's basketball coach Mark Edwards and his wife Mary, and to Mike McGrath and his  University of Chicago men's basketball program for their donations!) and those yet to be sent and processed, I am at $4,440.53.  Very, very close to my goal...which will fund a researcher's work for a month.  Wouldn't it be cool if he or she cracked the code for a cure of Rett syndrome, on our dime?!

I reached 86 miles in my "Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend" October 3-4.  I'm very proud of that result, but there's more work to be done.  Proceeds from the event will be split between Rettsyndrome.org (the only national organization spearheading research and providing resources for affected patients and their families) and the Rett Spectrum Clinic--a collaboration between the WashU School of Medicine and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Rett syndrome is a rare, non-inherited neurological disorder that is caused by a gene mutation in the brain.  It primarily affects girls (1 in every 10,000 girls develop Rett).  It strikes typically when a child is 6-18 months old, and it has the characteristics of ALS, autism, epilepsy, and Parkinson's...all rolled into one sinister disorder.  It takes away the child's ability to move and communicate. 

In essence, Rett does to a child what Lucy in the "Peanuts" comic strip does to Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football that she is holding.  The only difference is that Charlie Brown can get back up to try again.  Those who are afflicted with Rett syndrome don't get another chance to enjoy a vibrant life.

Researchers are working to re-engineer the gene mutation that turns on Rett, so it can be forever turned off.  Four drug therapies are in the FDA review pipeline, with one (trofanitide) one level away from review.  And, iPad tablets with retinal scan technology are giving those with Rett a voice they haven't had since they were toddlers.

The full court press on Rett is paying off.  You can help keep the pressure on Rett, by going to my Rett Racers donation page:  https://rettracer.everydayhero.com/us/rett-gets-rocked-2020

Thanks for your time and consideration, and hopefully there will be basketball to play and broadcast at the start of 2021!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Announcer, Washington University in St. Louis
Event Director, Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

WE ARE BACK!!!

Two years ago DIII was reeling with the news that fellow members of the MIAC had voted, in secret, to oust St. Thomas (Minn.) from the conference. It started a whirlwind of decisions and reactions on the UST campus and throughout the NCAA.

It also created a timeline: In two years time, UST would be leaving the MIAC and ultimately Division III. That meant watching two perennial basketball powers try and leave in style and on their terms. The Coronavirus Pandemic had other plans. Instead of celebrations, conference championships, and even national title chances... things have ended like a leaky ballon - just falling flat.

On the first Hoopsville podcast of the off-season, we chat with the two coaches who have kept their programs in the national conversation year in and year out and will now help them transition to Division I. Ruth Sinn and John Tauer join Dave McHugh to chat about the school and programs' history and love of Division III and how the change to DI will and will not change things.

It is a great conversation with two coaches who will be missed in DIII.

Plus, there are few things to note in the Hoopsville Notebook! Lots of coaching changes and a number of interesting twists with some of the searches. There are new rules that have been adopted for both sports. Plus what to expect from us, as a show, moving forward after taking some much need, and completely unintended, time off.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3vzDQYm or https://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2020-21/june

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2021-22 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville

WLCALUM83

"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."