MBB: City University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by dave brown, September 23, 2004, 11:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave brown

Any news on returning players in the conference or impact players entering?  

dave brown

Nothing like a convo with yourself.  D1 Binghamton transfer Lious Karris a Xaverian graduate has trasnferred to the CUNY.  

Jayson burgess

Is it true that the backcourt of JohnJay will not be returning this year? speaking of Tim White Sg and Sharod Tomlinson Pg. These two guys provided leadership and scoring that got the bloodhounds to the Semi-finals along with Palma. How is John Jay going to replace these two guys? Being a loyal fan of John Jay basketball. I have confidence in the coaching staff that they will be back on top this season.

dave brown

It appears that way.  Sharod provided tremendous leadership for the team last year.  Any team will miss someone that looses a shooter like Tim White.  I think he finished last year 53% from 3.  I guess you have to find other ways to win because some guys might be irreplacable.  We are doing our best.  Thank you.

dave brown

In case anyone was wondering.  Polls from the CUNY are as follows.
Baruch        22.78
Brooklyn      8.86%  
CCNY          7.59%  
Hunter        8.86%  
John Jay      7.59%  
Lehman       10.13%  
Medgar Evers 10.13%  
City Tech    12.66%  
Staten Island 5.06%  
York          6.33%  

Jason Tardio

What's Baruch's team like this year?

Rhodes Scholar

Baruch had a disappointing season last year but may very well be the best team in CUNY this year. The Bearcats have three seniors in the starting lineup and have added Louie Karis, a talented D1 transfer from SUNY-Binghamton as well as Robi Davidson, a JUCO import from California.  

Baruch is well-coached and has quite a few solid outside shooters. The Bearcats' primary weakness is a lack of size, which will probably hurt them off the boards when they play bigger teams.

Jason Tardio

Thanks Rhodes and Mike - I will be attending the TCNJ/Baruch game on Saturday.  I read a couple of game summary reports on Baruch and it seems as both of your analysis are correct.  Looks as if the top two teams from the CUNY and NJAC will be going head to head on Sat.

Rhodes Scholar

Baruch looked very good in beating John Jay last night, 74-49. Louie Karis is one of the best players in the conference. He's an excellent outside shooter, solid in the open court and he can take it to the basket as well.  Cheick Fadika put in a solid effort, revealing a softer touch around the basket than I had previously seen. In addition, Chris Alesi is playing better than last year: He's demonstrated good leadership and he's been more accurate from the outside. Plus, he's been effective when he drives to the hoop.  

John Jay was down by only six at the half, but they completely collapsed about midway through the second half. In addition, the game program listed 15 or 16 players on the John Jay roster (I forget the exact number), but only 9 players dressed for the Bloodhounds.

Jayson burgess

hey Rhode Scholar who would you say look good for john jay are there any bright spots for them. What teams in cuny do you guys think made great additions to their line ups this off season???

Rhodes Scholar

John Jay did not impress me. I think they'll be a middle-of-the-pack team in CUNY this year. Tomlinson and Polanco are both good players, but none of the newcomers looked that good against Baruch.

The season has just started but it looks like Baruch, NYC Tech, CSI and Lehman are the best teams. So far I've only seen Baruch, John Jay and Hunter, and Baruch is clearly the best of those three teams.  

Jayson burgess

With all the teams on break for finals coming to an end, What are some big games to watch for? Where there any players added to any teams?

Rhodes Scholar

Regarding new additions CUNYAC observers will certainly be keeping an eye on John Jay, but I don't know what teams--if any--have added, or are going to add, new players.

At this point, Staten Island, NYC Tech and Baruch are the top teams in the conference, with Lehman close behind.  

Three Upcoming Prime-Time CUNYAC Matchups:

1/8 Baruch @ Lehman
1/12 Staten Island @ NYC Tech
1/17 Baruch @ NYC Tech

Jayson burgess

Has anyone seen any CUNY games in the year 2005? Whats going on with the team everyone was watching after this semester break, The bloodhounds of John Jay? Also who are the top guns of the league?

Rhodes Scholar

Staten Island, New York City Tech and Lehman are the top teams this year followed by Baruch. All of the top teams are about equal with no clear-cut standout.

Some of the league's top players are Staten Island point guard Michael Stewart, City Tech center Shacun Malave, Lehman center Shakani Francis and Baruch guard Louie Karis.  

John Jay is not only much weaker than they were last year, they're weaker than they were at the beginning of this year. The Bloodhounds haven't added any impact players up to this point*, but they did lose Jon Polanco and James Clark.  

* It's still possible new players may materialize, but as of yesterday none have.  

(Message edited by rhodes on January 18, 2005)

(Message edited by rhodes on January 18, 2005)