FB: Region 4 fan poll

Started by DPU3619, September 09, 2011, 09:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Whitecarrera on October 07, 2021, 12:04:27 PM
I've got to admit, I'm a little surprised by the sentiment for Aurora.
They lost to a good team, they lost BIG to North Central, and they've run up the score on three bad teams.
The rest of their schedule is filled with average teams.
They should walk through their generally weak conference and go to the playoffs, but that's about it.

And also (admittedly, I'm still trying to figure out the new regional structures), but isn't Aurora along with the NACC in Region 5?

The NACC is in Region 5 -- so is the CCIW. But this is a North Region poll, so ...
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

SpartanHouse

I've got to admit, I'm a little surprised by the sentiment for A

Aurora is kind of in no mans land for the remainder of the NC schedule. Is the Aurora we saw against SJU or vs North Central the real AU? Won't know until playoffs.

HOPEful

They lost to a good team, they lost BIG to North Central, and they've run up the score on three bad teams.
They should walk through their generally weak conference and go to the playoffs, but that's about it.

And also (admittedly, I'm still trying to figure out the new regional structures), but isn't Aurora along with the NACC in Region 5?

Who hasn't lost big to North Central in 20+ or so games? It's a very short list of Wheaton (twice) and Mount Union. In that stretch, NC crushed Whitewater in the National Championship game, Muhlenberg in the semis, Delaware Valley in the quarters, Wabash in the first round, and has whooped everyone not named Wheaton so far this year. Losing to NC big doesn't mean much to me because I'm convinced that Mount and Wheaton are the only two teams on this poll that wouldn't get crushed by the Cardinals.

Aurora has in that stretch now twice had 4th quarter leads against a top 10 St. John's team. John Carroll has had close games against Washington and Jefferson and Mount Union. IMO, those results tell me much more about them than all the other north regional team's wins against Hiram, Kenyan, Wilmington, Otterbein, Kalamazoo, or pretty much any team in the HCAC this year, etc.
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

wally_wabash

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 07, 2021, 12:16:47 PM

The NACC is in Region 5 -- so is the CCIW. But this is a North Region poll, so ...

"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

FCGrizzliesGrad

Due to the lateness of the change here on the boards and the fact that it had been a while due to the pandemic, the North (now region 4 and 5) and West (now region 5 and 6) polls decided to stay with the old format. The East is basically Region 1 and 2 and they've kept them combined in one poll. The South got off to a late start with a new runner and have decided to use just Region 3 which leaves the ASC without a poll this season since they're now Region 6.
Maybe next year we'll split the polls into the new regions.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

D3fanboy

I'm pretty sure that even JCU (the best 2-2 team ever) would put up over 500 yards on Aurora.  But hey, they have a good QB, chalk up an impressive win for St Johns

HOPEful

Quote from: D3fanboy on October 07, 2021, 06:48:31 PM

I'm pretty sure that even JCU (the best 2-2 team ever) would put up over 500 yards on Aurora.  But hey, they have a good QB, chalk up an impressive win for St Johns

I do wish there was a greater sample size of cross region, cross conference games. I love that Hope went out to Coe this year. I'd love to see more ARC and WIAC teams on the schedule in future seasons.

It's very difficult to judge how good a team like Central is when their non-conference wins were to St. Olaf and Kalamazoo. The eye-test tells me they're very good. But are they compete with the best of the CCIW/WIAC good? I can ask that same type of question down the rankings too... How good is Aurora comparatively? Albion?
Let's go Dutchmen!

D3fanboy

Quote from: HOPEful on October 08, 2021, 09:15:41 AM
Quote from: D3fanboy on October 07, 2021, 06:48:31 PM

I do wish there was a greater sample size of cross region, cross conference games. I love that Hope went out to Coe this year. I'd love to see more ARC and WIAC teams on the schedule in future seasons.

It's very difficult to judge how good a team like Central is when their non-conference wins were to St. Olaf and Kalamazoo. The eye-test tells me they're very good. But are they compete with the best of the CCIW/WIAC good? I can ask that same type of question down the rankings too... How good is Aurora comparatively? Albion?

Central seems great!  I mean they put up 84 points on Simpson, something that earned UMHB a couple of extra first place votes in the d3fb poll from preseason to week 1.  Must have been impressive!

HOPEful

10th spot on my ballot is for sale since no one seems to want it!

Albion losing to Adrian, Lakeland losing to Benedictine, Olivet losing to Trine, DePauw getting skunked for 3 quarters and needing 17 in the 4th to sneak past Wittenberg, ...

I wrote down a team's name at 10. I don't feel like they deserve it though...
Let's go Dutchmen!

HOPEful

Let's go Dutchmen!

FCGrizzliesGrad

Week 6

https://imgur.com/a/UuSewZB

Sorry for the delay, ballots have been a bit slow this week both here and Top 25.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Dr. Acula

I ran the table this week.  I didn't think that would happen for a couple more weeks with as unsure as the ballot is after #3.

HOPEful

Haha, this is awesome. There is a very clear line after 8. We unanimously believe the teams 1-8 should be ranked. Then, 8 different schools were written down with those 14 other votes...
Let's go Dutchmen!

Whitecarrera

You could maybe say that line is drawn after #7.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Recognize the difference.

HOPEful

Unfortunately, it might get muddier with John Carroll playing ONU and OWU playing DePauw this weekend.

I am one of the voters still not ranking DePauw. If they take care of business at home against Ohio Wesleyan, they will be in my rankings next week. Same goes for the Polar Bears, although winning in University Heights is a much taller task.
Let's go Dutchmen!