WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Did you check out the newly-posted NPU men's basketball roster, Rog? There's a freshman on there -- who it is is immediately obvious -- whose name is worth about three or four years' worth of pronunciation headaches all by itself.

Seriously, that name beggars the imagination of anybody outside of that young man's ethnic group
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

I see it now. The various public address announcers had better practice his name a few days ahead of time to avoid embarrassing themselves.
Incidentally, I'm a little surprised that players' weights are still shown on the male rosters. And they seem to gain or lose weight in five pound increments.
We watch the women without caring what they weigh; there's no real need to know what the guys weigh.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: RogK on October 13, 2021, 12:17:10 PM
I see it now. The various public address announcers had better practice his name a few days ahead of time to avoid embarrassing themselves.
Incidentally, I'm a little surprised that players' weights are still shown on the male rosters. And they seem to gain or lose weight in five pound increments.
We watch the women without caring what they weigh; there's no real need to know what the guys weigh.

I disagree, given that the male version of college basketball is much more physical than the female version. And, in that context, the difference between a 6'5, 180 player and a 6'5, 225 player is glaring. It tells you a lot about what position they likely play and what style of game they likely play without even seeing the player in action or checking the player's stats.

(Of course, player weights for male basketball players are sometimes fudged by coaches for published roster purposes in the same way that player heights are fudged -- and I'm not just talking about the five-pound-increment phenomenon you mentioned.)

When perusing online info about NPU's recruits this off-season I was absolutely astonished to see the weight of one of Amanda Crockett's incoming freshmen listed on a well-known scouting-service site. I've never seen that before with regard to girls high-school players. It almost felt as though a taboo had been broken.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

I was in a candy store where fudge was weighed. And you note that weight can be fudged.
I just looked at a WNBA roster, which includes player weight :
https://sky.wnba.com/roster/
Their numbers are not rounded to a multiple of 5.

lmitzel

NCC roster is up. Fun one this year is playing the Kevin Bacon game as freshman guard Lexie Hernandez is my godparents' daughter's stepdaughter. My dad went to her grad party a few months back, noticed the NCC stuff, and made the comment about "Lucas is going to like announcing for you," given that she rewrote Plainfield North's three point record books.

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 13, 2021, 11:38:51 AM
Did you check out the newly-posted NPU men's basketball roster, Rog? There's a freshman on there -- who it is is immediately obvious -- whose name is worth about three or four years' worth of pronunciation headaches all by itself.

Seriously, that name beggars the imagination of anybody outside of that young man's ethnic group

Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Gregory Sager

Quote from: RogK on October 13, 2021, 02:34:34 PM
I was in a candy store where fudge was weighed. And you note that weight can be fudged.
I just looked at a WNBA roster, which includes player weight :
https://sky.wnba.com/roster/
Their numbers are not rounded to a multiple of 5.

WNBA =/= girls high-school basketball

RogK

New rosters continue to appear :
https://elmhurstbluejays.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster
The 'Jays have 10 freshmen to go along with a bunch of others who have not played many minutes at the collegiate level.
That translates into wide-open opportunity for playing time, but also not much favor when the league's coaches vote their standings forecast.

Gregory Sager

Ten freshmen is indeed a pretty big class. Now we'll see if Tethnie Carillo got the quality to match the quantity.

RogK

I think the women's 3-point line is a little farther from the rim starting this season, although maybe not in the corners.
Here is a scrimmage/game box from a few days ago in which a lot of 3FGs were attempted :
https://www.onutigers.com/sports/wbkb/2021-22/boxscores/20211022_rdob.xml?view=boxscore
One team shot .316 which is reasonably good. The opposing squad made only .245 of theirs, not very efficient (although 38 o-rebs helped their cause).
I assume the NAIA adopts any rules changes that the NCAA applies.
3FG percentages will likely be down this season, but we'll see to what extent.
The median team average last season was .285 (Emory&Henry ranked 138 of 275).
I guess the rules people decided that was too good.

Jester1390

Rog it was moved back I believe it's the same distance as the men now not 100 percent on that

RogK

Gregory Sager

Preseason poll is out:

1. Millikin 63 (7)
2. Wheaton 58 (2)
t3. Illinois Wesleyan 45
t3. North Park 45
5. Carroll 34
6. Augustana 26
7. Carthage 23
8. North Central 18
9. Elmhurst 12

gordonmann

Interesting. I have Millikin ahead of Wheaton on my ballot.

Thoughts?

iwu70

I'd have Millikin #1 too.  Am a bit surprised that IWU is that high at tied #3, given all they lost . . . it will surely be a different kind of team without all that offensive power and talent that was lost to graduation.   Long article on the new team in the Pgraph today, with Coach Mia Smith saying they will win with defense . . . and that offensively things will be spread all around, not concentrating on a few top scores, surely so with Sosa's 27 ppg gone.   Seems Brooke Lansford is being asked to take up the point . . . with Eck, Bowen and perhaps Heller key starters?   Lots of freshmen likely to get playing time, featuring in key ways in the rotation.   Big questions in the post, for rebounding, it would seem . . . also, questions about three point shooting.  Maybe enough there from Lansford and Eck. . . Seems Eck may be asked to be the top scorer, if consistent and durable enough. 

A new day for the IWU women's program, for sure.  Here comes the season . . .the Titans with a pretty tough pre-CCIW schedule, as usual.  Quite a few away games early on . . .

IWU'70