Author Topic: WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin  (Read 1319680 times)

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • North Park Vikings: Nat'l champs, 1978-79-80-85-87
    • View Profile
Re: WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin
« Reply #9225 on: October 13, 2021, 11:38:51 am »
Did you check out the newly-posted NPU men's basketball roster, Rog? There's a freshman on there -- who it is is immediately obvious -- whose name is worth about three or four years' worth of pronunciation headaches all by itself.

Seriously, that name beggars the imagination of anybody outside of that young man's ethnic group
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.. -- John Wooden

Offline RogK

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #9226 on: October 13, 2021, 12:17:10 pm »
I see it now. The various public address announcers had better practice his name a few days ahead of time to avoid embarrassing themselves.
Incidentally, I'm a little surprised that players' weights are still shown on the male rosters. And they seem to gain or lose weight in five pound increments.
We watch the women without caring what they weigh; there's no real need to know what the guys weigh.

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #9227 on: October 13, 2021, 01:09:10 pm »
I see it now. The various public address announcers had better practice his name a few days ahead of time to avoid embarrassing themselves.
Incidentally, I'm a little surprised that players' weights are still shown on the male rosters. And they seem to gain or lose weight in five pound increments.
We watch the women without caring what they weigh; there's no real need to know what the guys weigh.

I disagree, given that the male version of college basketball is much more physical than the female version. And, in that context, the difference between a 6'5, 180 player and a 6'5, 225 player is glaring. It tells you a lot about what position they likely play and what style of game they likely play without even seeing the player in action or checking the player's stats.

(Of course, player weights for male basketball players are sometimes fudged by coaches for published roster purposes in the same way that player heights are fudged -- and I'm not just talking about the five-pound-increment phenomenon you mentioned.)

When perusing online info about NPU's recruits this off-season I was absolutely astonished to see the weight of one of Amanda Crockett's incoming freshmen listed on a well-known scouting-service site. I've never seen that before with regard to girls high-school players. It almost felt as though a taboo had been broken.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.. -- John Wooden

Offline RogK

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #9228 on: October 13, 2021, 02:34:34 pm »
I was in a candy store where fudge was weighed. And you note that weight can be fudged.
I just looked at a WNBA roster, which includes player weight :
https://sky.wnba.com/roster/
Their numbers are not rounded to a multiple of 5.

Offline lmitzel

• All-Conference
  • PA Voice of North Central Basketball
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Sportscaster
« Reply #9229 on: October 13, 2021, 05:40:04 pm »
NCC roster is up. Fun one this year is playing the Kevin Bacon game as freshman guard Lexie Hernandez is my godparents' daughter's stepdaughter. My dad went to her grad party a few months back, noticed the NCC stuff, and made the comment about "Lucas is going to like announcing for you," given that she rewrote Plainfield North's three point record books.

Did you check out the newly-posted NPU men's basketball roster, Rog? There's a freshman on there -- who it is is immediately obvious -- whose name is worth about three or four years' worth of pronunciation headaches all by itself.

Seriously, that name beggars the imagination of anybody outside of that young man's ethnic group

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #9230 on: October 13, 2021, 06:26:57 pm »
I was in a candy store where fudge was weighed. And you note that weight can be fudged.
I just looked at a WNBA roster, which includes player weight :
https://sky.wnba.com/roster/
Their numbers are not rounded to a multiple of 5.

WNBA =/= girls high-school basketball

Offline RogK

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #9231 on: October 13, 2021, 07:35:41 pm »
New rosters continue to appear :
https://elmhurstbluejays.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster
The 'Jays have 10 freshmen to go along with a bunch of others who have not played many minutes at the collegiate level.
That translates into wide-open opportunity for playing time, but also not much favor when the league's coaches vote their standings forecast.

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #9232 on: October 13, 2021, 07:59:13 pm »
Ten freshmen is indeed a pretty big class. Now we'll see if Tethnie Carillo got the quality to match the quantity.

Offline RogK

• All-American
    • View Profile