2021 D3 Men's Soccer National Perspective

Started by PaulNewman, September 01, 2021, 01:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldNed

United Soccer Coaches Poll is out: https://unitedsoccercoaches.org/rankings/college-rankings/ncaa-diii-men/

Rank   School   Prev   W-L-T
1   Tufts University   1   2-0-0
2   Franklin & Marshall College   18   2-0-0
3   Washington & Lee University   11   1-0-1
4   University of Rochester   NR   1-0-1
5   University of Redlands   NR   1-0-0
6   St. Mary's College of Maryland   NR   3-0-0
7   Capital University   NR   3-0-0
8   Worcester Polytechnic Institute   NR   2-0-0
9   Messiah College   9   2-0-0
10   Calvin University   3   3-0-1
11   Bowdoin College   NR   1-0-0
12   Trinity University (Texas)   NR   2-0-0
13   Ohio Wesleyan University   13   1-0-1
14   New York University   NR   1-0-1
15   University Of Chicago   19   2-0-0
16   Christopher Newport University   22   1-0-1
17   SUNY Oneonta   24   1-0-1
18   Gustavus Adolphus College   25   1-2-0
19   Babson College   NR   2-1-0
20   Luther College   5   3-0-0
21   Rowan University   15   3-0-0
22   Carthage College   NR   2-0-1
23   Johns Hopkins University   17   0-0-1
24   SUNY Cortland   NR   1-1-1
25   Whitman College   NR   2-0-0
Records shown are through games of Sept. 12, 2021

Also receiving votes: University of Lynchburg, Otterbein University, Massachusetts Insititute Of Technology, Connecticut College

NOTE: although the site says it includes games through September 12, I think that is mistake.  For example, Chicago tied St. Olaf on 9/12 and that's not in included.  I'm sure there are other missed games on here, too.

blooter442

Quote from: OldNed on September 14, 2021, 02:04:53 PM
NOTE: although the site says it includes games through September 12, I think that is mistake.  For example, Chicago tied St. Olaf on 9/12 and that's not in included.  I'm sure there are other missed games on here, too.

I think they goofed on the date in one spot or another; the poll says September 10, but it says games included through September 12, and Bowdoin's win over Amherst (its second) was not recorded.

Another Mom

Yes, the last 2 W&L games are not included.

I am surprised Amherst isn't on the list, or even in the "also receiving votes" group, unless I'm missing something.

Ejay

Meaningless rankings still.  Conn College receiving votes with a record of 0-0. I'll check back on this poll in a month.

Mr.Right

Quote from: Ejay on September 14, 2021, 05:07:37 PM
Meaningless rankings still.  Conn College receiving votes with a record of 0-0. I'll check back on this poll in a month.

Because of 2019 Elite 8

Ejay

Quote from: Mr.Right on September 14, 2021, 05:20:41 PM

Because of 2019 Elite 8
Correct.  Meaningless

PaulNewman

Quote from: Ejay on September 14, 2021, 05:57:01 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on September 14, 2021, 05:20:41 PM

Because of 2019 Elite 8
Correct.  Meaningless

At this point it's hard to tell which is worse....the early Massey rankings which lead to missing top games of the weekend, or this Coach poll above.  I'm sure someone can make sense of the Coach poll because iirc there is some method where each region has to have a team ranked like 1-8 and then 9-16, etc.  An initial poll based on 2019 results is to be expected.  But how in the world to explain Rochester, Redlands, St Mary's, Capital, WPI  jumping from #4 thru #8 when all were NR the week before.  How does F&M jump from #18 to #2 in one week?  Now, F&M and W&L could be top 5 teams, but not based on the limited data that went into the rankings.  And how does GAC jump to #18 from #25 after two Ls?

Anyway, not a big deal, but a little annoying especially when one sees recaps with captions wrapped around these rankings.

PaulNewman

Watched large portions of Emory vs Calvin last night and imo Emory looked every bit as good as Calvin.  And yet, when I looked away in the 105th minute at 0-0 I just knew I would look back in a few minutes and see a 1-0 Calvin win with a goal pulled out of the last 3-4 minutes.  Seemed like a classic, and expected, outcome for both programs. Always pick Calvin in these spots unless they're playing Tufts.  More interested, though, in Emory and the UAA in general.  Emory over the past decade that I've followed seems to have a lot of these types of results, and with the exception of I think one Elite 8 run have had hard luck and ultimately underachieved.  But what a conference the UAA is top to bottom, especially with the improved performance of NYU and CWRU the past few years. 

On another note, I am really impressed with the programs that incorporate a long distance weekend into their schedules.  Grand Rapids to Atlanta is a hike and I'm sure not inexpensive.  Did the Knights fly in on Thursday or same day as the first tilt yesterday?  Possibly a three night stay in Atlanta.  Similar deal with Christopher Newport going to Chicago.  I understand the NESCAC schools not doing these sort of trips with their condensed seasons and shorter schedules, but so many notable programs could throw in at least a trip in the 6-8 hour range or even 3-5 hour range....like Kenyon or Carnegie going to W&L and Lynchburg or to Messiah and F&M or NJ or even Rochester/Cortland/Oneonta/Hobart, etc.  And for the more elite programs who do not typically make such trips, is that more about the coach or larger decisions/resources in athletic departments as a whole?  I think CNU is a state school, and UMass-Boston is certainly a state school that a few years ago traveled to the West Coast (Washington state iirc).

PaulNewman

OK, OK, geez, maybe W&L and UR ARE #3 and #4 in the country after all....or #1 and #2.

W&L was up 5-0 on Centre at the half.

And Rochester blew out Hobart yesterday 6-0.

Both undefeated, once tied.

PaulNewman

And time to give a nod to Chicago sitting at 5-0-1.  Also right there with JCU for toughest schedule.  Already has faced Kzoo, Wabash, Macalester, St Olaf, Christopher Newport and Luther.

Next six games....Wheaton, JCU, Calvin, Emory, Carthage, Rochester....followed by the rest of the grueling UAA schedule with a trip to North Park mixed in.

blue_jays

Quote from: PaulNewman on September 19, 2021, 07:28:17 PM
And time to give a nod to Chicago sitting at 5-0-1.  Also right there with JCU for toughest schedule.  Already has faced Kzoo, Wabash, Macalester, St Olaf, Christopher Newport and Luther.

Next six games....Wheaton, JCU, Calvin, Emory, Carthage, Rochester....followed by the rest of the grueling UAA schedule with a trip to North Park mixed in.

UChicago has scheduled pretty aggressively ever since Babst turned them into a national contender. Consistently in the top 3-5 hardest schedules at the start of each year, plus the UAA gauntlet.

The UChicago wins over Chris Newport and Luther this weekend demonstrated the trend they've displayed for several years now: they're a second half team that grows into the game. The first half of both games were downright forgettable for the Maroons. Once they made their adjustments at the break, the chances started coming and the young talent showed their ability. They're a deep team that wears you down. 9 of their 10 goals this year have been scored in the second half, as well as 49 vs. 29 in shots taken by half.

In the CNU game, Yetishefsky scored a pair of unusual goals. On the first one, the goalie and a defender converged to try to boot out a loose ball in the box, but they didn't realize Yeti had stepped right into the ball's path and they kicked it off him and into the goal. The second one, he made a run up the right wing and pulled a fast one on the goalie. He looked so sure to center it to the other forward that the goalie started his dive away from goal a split second early. Instead Yeti just nonchalantly passed the ball right into the back of the net.

D3_Slack

One positive from COVID is that most colleges now stream all their games.  With my son now playing D3 soccer I've been interested to see what teams from around the country look like and have caught a bunch of games.  I've been really impressed with the overall quality of play and competitiveness.  I saw Carnegie Mellon play Ohio Northern and both teams were well coached, talented, deep. 

I know the NESCAC very well and am learning the UAA.  What other leagues should I be checking out?

NEPAFAN

Quote from: D3_Slack on September 20, 2021, 09:50:17 AM
One positive from COVID is that most colleges now stream all their games.  With my son now playing D3 soccer I've been interested to see what teams from around the country look like and have caught a bunch of games.  I've been really impressed with the overall quality of play and competitiveness.  I saw Carnegie Mellon play Ohio Northern and both teams were well coached, talented, deep. 

I know the NESCAC very well and am learning the UAA.  What other leagues should I be checking out?

Check out the Game Notes thread...
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

PaulNewman

Why does the USC bother with polls?

MCLA, 1-4, and fresh off a 6-0 thrashing at the hands of......Husson, I'm guessing for the first time in the history of the program has jumped into the RV category.

And I hope F&M had some Dramamine before their free fall from #2 all the way down to #24 within a week after one loss.

OldNed

Quote from: PaulNewman on September 21, 2021, 01:21:14 PM
Why does the USC bother with polls?

MCLA, 1-4, and fresh off a 6-0 thrashing at the hands of......Husson, I'm guessing for the first time in the history of the program has jumped into the RV category.

And I hope F&M had some Dramamine before their free fall from #2 all the way down to #24 within a week after one loss.

I don't disagree if that's a valid vote for MCLA, but cmon - that HAS to be a mistake, right?