MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUAngola and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Heard that before... let's see what happens on the court first. Size and even talent doesn't always translate when the games start for real. I resist saying this often, but we all can probably think of players we were convinced were going to be a beast in DIII and ... we never ended up talking about (just as there have been some we did talk about and others we didn't even see coming).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

arena

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: arena on September 02, 2018, 04:23:58 PM
Anyone not show up for classes unexpectedly?

Unexpectedly by whose expectations? LOL From what I was told, there is one that isn't unexpectedly missing ... he's been mentioned before. LOL
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Grutte Dirk

Quote from: Knight2Day on August 16, 2018, 09:47:32 AM... that's what happens when you take away the tradition from an institution built on traditions...
Agreed. I think adding basketball/ baseball alum Kevin Van Duyn will go a long ways toward righting the ship. Twenty years in the public school trenches should bring a strong sense of urgency to Knollcrest.
Bûter, brea en griene tsiis; wa't dat net sizze kin, is gjin oprjochte Fries.

sac

So there's this.....
http://www.gobrits.com/sports/fball/2018-19/releases/20180903ftaov6

Ashabi will be the next Albion football coach.  (I am disappointed Ashabi is not still a banned word)

Gregory Sager

Wait a minute ... you're telling me that Gregg Ashabi was just the *nom de plume* of the guy who is now Albion's football OC? Mind blown!

And if he is really going to ascend to the head coaching position of the Britons, then he's probably going to get an entire wing all to himself in the Michigan Supersweetness Hall of Fame.

(I miss the red dots, too.)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 04, 2018, 12:26:41 PM
Wait a minute ... you're telling me that Gregg Ashabi was just the *nom de plume* of the guy who is now Albion's football OC? Mind blown!

And if he is really going to ascend to the head coaching position of the Britons, then he's probably going to get an entire wing all to himself in the Michigan Supersweetness Hall of Fame.

(I miss the red dots, too.)

Blast from the past!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

sac

Olivet twitter is welcoming a few new guys

Keyon Rainey   Adrian College/Det Consortium
Nate Colon   MMCC/ East Lansing
Walker Small    Clarendon College/Schoolcraft
Torian Jackson  OlneyJC/Vincennes CC/ Portage Northern?
Chris Long   Flint Beecher

Jackson is 6-8, Long 6-6, Small 6-4

mailsy

I just had to do it. I'm visiting Michigan this week. I am very impressed by the hospitality I received when visiting the DeVos Field House. Quite the facilities at Hope. I just wanted to say thank you to coach Mitchell and coach Courtney Kust for taking a few minutes with me. Also I met a student athlete Morgan(softball player) who was working at the front desk who showed me around. Thank you to all.

On my way back from Mackinac Island I hope to visit Calvin and see their facilities.

Yes. I know the things we do on vacation. 😀
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

Gregory Sager

D3 sports addicts do the darndest things with their free time. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

almcguirejr

Kalamazoo College Coach, Jay Smith, diagnosed with cancer.

From Mlive:

By Patrick Nothaft pnothaft@mlive.com
KALAMAZOO, MI - Kalamazoo College men's basketball coach Jay Smith, who has left his fingerprints on the state's hoops scene from the high school level to the NCAA Final Four, will begin cancer treatment Thursday, according to a report from WWMT.

The 57-year-old Mio, Mich., native received an intermediate prostate cancer diagnosis during a yearly physical in early June and shared the news with the public Wednesday, a day before he is scheduled to begin treatment in Chicago.

"I knew it probably wasn't going to be good, but nobody wants to hear the word 'cancer.' Nobody does," Smith told WWMT's Mike McCann. "Fear goes through your veins; it just scares you."

A 4-6 week recovery time is expected following his surgery, and if that timeline holds up, Smith could to be back on the sideline for his third season at K-College.

"I feel like I'm a fast healer," Smith said. "If everything goes as planned, I'll be back; that's the plan."

The positive outlook is one Smith realizes could have been much worse if not for an annual doctor visit.

"Sometimes men take the idea of, 'Well, I'll get to it next year. I'm feeling OK, everything's good,'" Smith said. "If I'd have taken that attitude, this could be much, much worse."

mailsy

Been through it myself. 9 years free and clear so far. That's why it's so important, as Coach Smith said, to get checked regularly when you get to a certain age. My best goes out to coach Smith as he goes through it himself.
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: scottiedawg on September 18, 2018, 06:53:18 PM
Whoa! Calhoun!

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/09/official-jim-calhoun-will-coach

Crazy, huh? I really thought he would leave it to Glen Miller. Of course, no idea how they will actually split up the work responsibilities.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

sac

I think Alma might be playing one of the most difficult non-conference schedules in all of D3 this Winter

Augustana
Illinois Wesleyan
@ North Central
UW-Platteville @ Wash U
@ WashU or Pomona-Pitzer
@ UW-Oshkosh
@ UW-Whitewater
Sul Ross St.  @ Phoenix
Whitman @ Phoenix
@ St. Norbert
UW-River Falls or St. Scholastica @ St. Norbert

Every opponent or potential opponent had a winning record in 2018
#2, #3, #5, #7, #15 from last years final Top 25.