FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NescacFam and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Trin9-0

Some more NESCAC commits from Connecticut:

Trinity:
Hassan Azeem, OL/DL, 6'2", 270lbs, South Windsor, CT
http://www.hudl.com/profile/2182861/Hassan-Azeem
Anthony Melody, WR/DB. 6'2" 200lbs, Kingswood-Oxford, West Hartford, CT
http://www.hudl.com/profile/6590104/Anthony-Melody
Connor Tienken, DB, 6', 178lbs, Darien, CT
http://www.hudl.com/profile/8029492/Connor-Tienken
Max Grant, DB/WR, 6'1", 200lbs, Darien, CT
http://www.hudl.com/profile/6234039/Max-Grant

Bates:
Tom Formus, DB, Ridgefield, CT
Tom Simplicio, LB, Conard, West Hartford, CT

Colby:
Matt Hersch, QB, Masuk, Monroe, CT
John Leuschner, DE, Kingswood-Oxford, West Hartford, CT

Middlebury:
Ben Tauber, QB, Kingswood-Oxford, West Hartford, CT
NESCAC CHAMPIONS: 1974, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, 2023
UNDEFEATED SEASONS: 1911, 1915, 1934, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1993, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2022

amh63

Trinity 8-0....How did the Bantams allow a local boy go to Middlebury, otherwise know as  QB university? :).   The university of Nebraska in days pass would " store" talented linemen in order to keep them away from teams like Texas..just saying.

quicksilver

There are multiple NESCAC recruits listed here, the website for the New England Elite Football Clinic, with large numbers for Bowdoin (12), Middlebury (10), Trinity (7), Bates (6), and at least 1 for every other NESCAC .

lumbercat

Quote from: amh63 on February 13, 2018, 04:51:17 PM
Trinity 8-0....How did the Bantams allow a local boy go to Middlebury, otherwise know as  QB university? :).   The university of Nebraska in days pass would " store" talented linemen in order to keep them away from teams like Texas..just saying.

Ben Tauber, the W. Hartford Ct QB from Kingswood Oxford will probably be a DB at Middlebury. Thats a good score for the Houdini of NESCAC recruiting AKA Bob Ritter but he's not their top QB recruit.

Ritter continues to recruit for the Snow Panthers aerial attack. He's landed QB Bradley Yaffe from Sacred Heart Prep San Francisco, CA, but his real snipe this year is Anson Clough 6'7" from Marblehead, Ma. who projects as TE/WR in the mold of Billy Chapman. The Panthers are just relentless with that great passing attack and no one recruits like Houdini and his Middlebury staff.

amh63

Time on my hands here in Florida... so I found some interesting info for posters here on one of the Bowdoin papers...Orient?  Deals with increased funds for athletic recruiting!  Some good news for the Maine schools overall.  Colby and Bowdoin have doubled their fun's from around 40k to 80k, while Bates who had a slightly higher level went way , way up to over about 180k.  One factor which I consider a negative one was the statement in the Bowdoin article that fund increase was to in part help insert " diversity" on teams to reflect the general student population.  Is the term here a code for racial diversity??  Hope not since there are a number of legal suits ongoing on the subject.

quicksilver

Quote from: amh63 on February 19, 2018, 10:06:58 AM
Time on my hands here in Florida... so I found some interesting info for posters here on one of the Bowdoin papers...Orient?  Deals with increased funds for athletic recruiting!  Some good news for the Maine schools overall.  Colby and Bowdoin have doubled their fun's from around 40k to 80k, while Bates who had a slightly higher level went way , way up to over about 180k.  One factor which I consider a negative one was the statement in the Bowdoin article that fund increase was to in part help insert " diversity" on teams to reflect the general student population.  Is the term here a code for racial diversity??  Hope not since there are a number of legal suits ongoing on the subject.

Here is a link to the article in the Bowdoin Orient of which Amh63 speaks. The Bowdoin AD comments on increasing the number of athletes of color and the number from outside of New England so racial diversity does seems to be one of the goals of enhanced recruiting budgets. I vaguely recall a study in the past few years by one of the NESCACs (maybe done by Amherst?) that found both a racial and income disparity between team members versus the rest of the student body, meaning that the make-up of some of the NESCAC teams is whiter and wealthier than the rest of the student body. Of course, these changes will be difficult to realize for some of these sports--like hockey and lacrosse--where the pool of high school athletes of color or of modest economic means is intrinsically limited . .

lumbercat

Quote from: quicksilver on February 20, 2018, 08:48:12 PM
Quote from: amh63 on February 19, 2018, 10:06:58 AM

Here is a link to the article in the Bowdoin Orient of which Amh63 speaks. The Bowdoin AD comments on increasing the number of athletes of color and the number from outside of New England so racial diversity does seems to be one of the goals of enhanced recruiting budgets. I vaguely recall a study in the past few years by one of the NESCACs (maybe done by Amherst?) that found both a racial and income disparity between team members versus the rest of the student body, meaning that the make-up of some of the NESCAC teams is whiter and wealthier than the rest of the student body. In some of these sports--like hockey and lacrosse--the pool of high school athletes of color or of modest economic means is intrinsically limited . .

I know this has been a important initiative in Bates Athletics for quite some time.....long before it has become fashionable in the NESCAC as we see now.  The financial commitment that they have made at Bates on this is no surprise. Those associated with the Garnet and Black are proud of this. 

PolarCat

Strange that Bates' financial commitment doesn't seem to trickle down to football recruiting.  You'd think that would be one of the easiest sports to recruit for, diversity-wise.  Unless an important diversity metric in Lewiston is athletes of non-binary-gender, little people or leprechaun unicorn riders.  Nothing the Spencer Administration does would surprise me. :'( 

ColbyFootball

I'm sensing a new attitude surrounding football on Mayflower Hill. I love the enhanced use of social media that hopefully will carry over into recruiting. But what I really love is new HC Cosgrove keeping the coaching staff intact. It should allow for needed continuity, and it says something about the self confidence of the HC. Wouldn't it be something if Colby could post 4-5 wins in Cosgrove's first season. I can't wait to see the new face, and new attitude, of Colby football.

lumbercat

They are doing a lot of things right up in Waterville, no question about it. Cosgrove is a proven coach at a higher, more competitive level than the NESCAC. His biggest challenge will be vetting his recruits for the stringent admissions process on Mayflower Hill which will be a new wrinkle for him.
As a pure recruiter he fared very sucessfully for the Black Bears. Getting mid Atlantic and Southern guys up to Orono is no easy task but he landed some great athletes and an inordinate number of Pro's. No question about his recruiting credentials. He has that charisma and is a hell of an offensive mind to boot.

Cosgrove got a late start on recruiting this year- all of the anger and dissension against Micheales and Colby as seen on this board had an adverse effect on Colby recruiting--scared a number of kids away. This may not be a great recruiting year for Cosgrove but watch out in the future.

At Bates there are still undertones of changes with the arrival of the new AD- a lot of folks in Lewiston waiting for and anticipating some significant changes. The Bates football recruiting budget has essentially doubled this year and the early recruiting results are the best in several years. I think the Garnet, coming off 4 years of CBB supremacy are hearing pretty significant footsteps with Cosgrove in place at Colby and JB Wells working his butt off at Bowdoin as usual while enjoying new found recruiting victories that come with a significantly more lenient admissions staff.

nescac1

Williams announced the hiring of a new President today.  I've no clue regarding her views on athletics.  Regardless, so long as she keeps Raymond and his staff around and lets them do their job, there should be no worries for Eph football fans! 

frank uible

This hire makes Williams more feminine. As Williams gets more feminine and more global, American football becomes less important at Williams.

nescac1

quicksilver

Quote from: frank uible on March 14, 2018, 04:52:36 PM
This hire makes Williams more feminine. As Williams gets more feminine and more global, American football becomes less important at Williams.

six of the 11 NESCAC have women as presidents -- the hold outs are Bowdoin, Colby, Hamilton, Tufts, and Wesleyan . . Hard to see any evidence of female presidents downgrading football!!!

amh63

The "holdout" colleges are interesting.  They are also the schools that have NEVER had a female prez.  Believe the six schools that have or will have female prezs' are the ones in the group that have their FIRST female president.  Other posters can correct me as nessary.