FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Go K Nights

Quote from: fredfalcon on August 24, 2016, 09:17:02 PM
RF over Carleton 35-7 in scrimmage today. Sawyer Moon, Trayvon Hearns, Ben Beckman all looked good at qb. Not sure that Carleton will be competitive in MIAC this fall.

Fred Falcon, perhaps, you should worry about UWRF competing in the WIAC, Carleton rolled all of their players for all 3 quarters, and had several starters out for different reasons.  Carleton will be better this year than the past 2 years, will hopefully be competing to get to 5-5 again this year like they were 3 years ago! 

fredfalcon

Whatever the reason K Nights, Carleton did not look good. RF  played lots of guys too, including freshmen.
WORLD'S OLDEST FALCON FAN.

MESSAGE TO RECRUITS:  IN DOUBT? ENROLL AT STOUT. DON'T CARE? GO TO EAU CLAIRE. AT A LOSS? TRY LACROSSE. FEELIN' OUTTA JOINT? YOUR PLACE IS POINT. DON'T LIKE THE REST? DO WHAT'S BEST!

GOT BALLS? PLAY FOR THE FALLS!

fredfalcon

And the 35-7 score was in a 3 quarter game, K Nights.
WORLD'S OLDEST FALCON FAN.

MESSAGE TO RECRUITS:  IN DOUBT? ENROLL AT STOUT. DON'T CARE? GO TO EAU CLAIRE. AT A LOSS? TRY LACROSSE. FEELIN' OUTTA JOINT? YOUR PLACE IS POINT. DON'T LIKE THE REST? DO WHAT'S BEST!

GOT BALLS? PLAY FOR THE FALLS!

bleedpurple

Quote from: UWO Titan 78 on August 24, 2016, 09:13:49 AM
Why all the surprise that Kickoff picks the Titans to win the conference? Both teams have a lot returning, and they split two really tight games last year. This year's game is at Whitewater, but the game is probably a pick 'em at this point (that could change as injuries occur during the season). I'm sure that the Warhawks will use this as bulletin board material, but I'm also sure that the Titans are one of the few teams in the country that know they can beat UWW.

This is a good analysis.  An argument can be made either way on these two teams.  But regardless of where you land, it's pretty hard to question the Kickoff guys choice given the Titans are the defending champs.  (I'm not sure if anyone expressed more than mild surprise, but I didn't scroll back).

On another note, I am definitely intrigued with the HansenRatings (thank you for contributing!). I like the idea of a model that recognizes teams regressing (or progressing) to their mean because that happens pretty regularly in DIII. 

And for the record, I agree with Emma's early prediction on the UW-O/UW-W game simply because I believe in our guys. Not scientific and not unbiased, but I believe this UW-W team has a chance to be special.

BoBo

I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

ScreamingEagles

Mixed bag for UW-L football in scrimmage

http://lacrossetribune.com/sports/local/mixed-bag-for-uw-l-football-in-scrimmage/article_527e2d07-9d0c-5103-8ab9-afcffbb0dd6d.html

QuoteLoras College used a big-play passing attack and scored five touchdowns during the two-quarter scrimmage on Saturday, while UW-L moved the ball well in spurts but wasn't quite as consistent as it hopes to be next week in its debut at Luther College in Decorah, Iowa.

QuoteThe battle for the starting quarterback job is still going after Saturday, but based strictly on playing time during the scrimmage, transfer junior Tarek Yaeggi has emerged as the frontrunner.

Yaeggi took the most reps during the 7-on-7 sessions — going 18-for-21 — and played the first five of UW-L's 11 drives. He finished the scrimmage portion 10 of 16 for 101 yards and a touchdown, but he also threw an interception that was returned for a touchdown on the Eagles' fourth possession.

"Tarek did some really good things, and Tarek did some really bad things. And he did some things in between," Schmidt said. "We've said from the beginning that we're going to have to find some consistent play out of that position."

Not exactly the report I was hoping to see coming out of this scrimmage.  Some of it seems to be growing pains with new offensive and defensive schemes, but it's never good to have multiple breakdowns in coverage.  A bit disappointing to hear the OLine is still struggling after multiple years of poor play.  On the bright side, it looks like a QB has emerged for the Eagles and the opener next weekend against Luther isn't nearly as daunting as recent years.  Opening with Luther, Ripon and Carroll will hopefully give us a chance to work out some of the kinks before conference play.  As long as the Eagles can improve week to week, they've got a chance to finish in the top half of the WIAC.
UW-La Crosse

Brian R. Carroll

I was just going to post my reaction to the La Crosse Tribune's article on the UWL-vs Loras scrimmage when I read Screaming Eagles' comments. As usual, SE's analysis is spot on in my view. Luther is picked 8th in the IIAC pre-season poll, so maybe we won't need to be in top form right from the get-go. We can always hope.

bleedpurple

Quote from: ScreamingEagles on August 28, 2016, 11:09:51 AM

http://lacrossetribune.com/sports/local/mixed-bag-for-uw-l-football-in-scrimmage/article_527e2d07-9d0c-5103-8ab9-afcffbb0dd6d.html

QuoteLoras College used a big-play passing attack and scored five touchdowns during the two-quarter scrimmage on Saturday, while UW-L moved the ball well in spurts but wasn't quite as consistent as it hopes to be next week in its debut at Luther College in Decorah, Iowa.

QuoteThe battle for the starting quarterback job is still going after Saturday, but based strictly on playing time during the scrimmage, transfer junior Tarek Yaeggi has emerged as the frontrunner.

Yaeggi took the most reps during the 7-on-7 sessions — going 18-for-21 — and played the first five of UW-L's 11 drives. He finished the scrimmage portion 10 of 16 for 101 yards and a touchdown, but he also threw an interception that was returned for a touchdown on the Eagles' fourth possession.

"Tarek did some really good things, and Tarek did some really bad things. And he did some things in between," Schmidt said. "We've said from the beginning that we're going to have to find some consistent play out of that position."

Not exactly the report I was hoping to see coming out of this scrimmage.  Some of it seems to be growing pains with new offensive and defensive schemes, but it's never good to have multiple breakdowns in coverage.  A bit disappointing to hear the OLine is still struggling after multiple years of poor play.  On the bright side, it looks like a QB has emerged for the Eagles and the opener next weekend against Luther isn't nearly as daunting as recent years.  Opening with Luther, Ripon and Carroll will hopefully give us a chance to work out some of the kinks before conference play.  As long as the Eagles can improve week to week, they've got a chance to finish in the top half of the WIAC.

Understandable to hope for better, but fall camp scrimmages are almost always good, bad, and ugly.   Plus, the transition of a new staff, even a great one, will take some time.  I wouldn't read much into the scrimmage. Yes, I  think the schedule will work out well as the Eagles develop. There will likely be more cohesiveness as the season progresses.

ScreamingEagles

Quote from: bleedpurple on August 28, 2016, 03:11:33 PM
Quote from: ScreamingEagles on August 28, 2016, 11:09:51 AM

Understandable to hope for better, but fall camp scrimmages are almost always good, bad, and ugly.   Plus, the transition of a new staff, even a great one, will take some time.  I wouldn't read much into the scrimmage. Yes, I  think the schedule will work out well as the Eagles develop. There will likely be more cohesiveness as the season progresses.

Oh no question - in the article, Coach Schmidt does acknowledge that they didn't scout or prepare they way a team normally does for a regular season game, leaving the OLine in particular unprepared for some of the blitzes Loras brought.  I'm not looking too far into it, but after a few years of our quarterback getting killed every game just was hoping for it not to even be a topic. 

I'm looking forward to UWL putting on a good showing next weekend at Luther.
UW-La Crosse

OzJohnnie

Good luck against Simpson this weekend, BDB. Let's hope it's a setup for a huge upset the week following. ;)
[  

02 Warhawk

Anyone interested in running the WIAC poll this year?

badgerwarhawk

I will if you'll help me with a couple of games that I'll be out of town and off the computer for. 
(Morningside and Oshkosh).

I'll get working on week one.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

badgerwarhawk

Ok, week one is posted in the pickem topics.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

cubs

Tarek Yaeggi has been named the starting quarterback for the UW-La Crosse football team.... 

Yaeggi was an All-State QB at Watertown, spent time at a JUCO in California and had planned on walking on at Buffalo before deciding on UWL.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

BoBo

UW-Stout's 2016 Roster has been posted:

http://athletics.uwstout.edu/roster.aspx?path=football

If my count is correct, I see a roster of 96, the breakdown:

Wisconsin 50
Minnesota 19
Illinois 17
California 3
Florida 3
New Jersey 1