South Region Rankings and Playoffs

Started by Ralph Turner, February 01, 2009, 04:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

Ron Boerger

William Peace lost in their conference semis so they go into the Pool C mess.

Ron Boerger

UMHB fends off HSU 60-58.  Cowgirls had three chances to tie/take lead in the last 12 seconds but a three and two (edit) putback attempts wouldn't fall.

deiscanton

I see that William Peace (#5 in South), and Emory & Henry (#6 in South) lost in the USA South and ODAC tournaments respectively.

Emory (#7 in South) finishes with a .760 winning pct and a .570 SOS.  Eagles did not play a RRO this week.

I am intetested in a final mock ranking this evening to see whether Emory has any shot of getting to the table for Pool C consideration.  SAA and SCAC AQs still to be determined.

jekelish

As much as it pains me to say it as an Austin College guy, I'm guessing Emory has to be hoping like crazy that they don't beat Trinity today, as that feels like it would burst someone in the region's bubble since, I assume, Trinity will take an at-large should AC win today.

deiscanton

Quote from: jekelish on March 01, 2020, 09:45:08 AM
As much as it pains me to say it as an Austin College guy, I'm guessing Emory has to be hoping like crazy that they don't beat Trinity today, as that feels like it would burst someone in the region's bubble since, I assume, Trinity will take an at-large should AC win today.

Congrats to the Austin Kangaroos on the SCAC title win.  Someone's bubble just popped and it might have been Emory's.

Ron Boerger

The d3hoops projected bracket surprisingly has Trinity hosting (I don't agree, FWIW, but they usually get more right than I do!).    They have UMHB paired with Austin and Trinity having a chance to avenge an early season loss to UT-Dallas.

Elsewhere, Oglethorpe deservedly gets to host and face Berea; Transylvania vs. William Peace, who came off the board pretty early despite a low SOS (2-0 vs vRROs beat an awful lot of teams on the board this year). 

Emory and Henry gets on the board after William Peace but can't get off because they only have one vRRO result (a win against Oglethorpe).   With E&H stuck, Emory never has a chance to be evaluated.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Ron Boerger on March 02, 2020, 06:57:22 AM
The d3hoops projected bracket surprisingly has Trinity hosting (I don't agree, FWIW, but they usually get more right than I do!).    They have UMHB paired with Austin and Trinity having a chance to avenge an early season loss to UT-Dallas.

Elsewhere, Oglethorpe deservedly gets to host and face Berea; Transylvania vs. William Peace, who came off the board pretty early despite a low SOS (2-0 vs vRROs beat an awful lot of teams on the board this year). 

Emory and Henry gets on the board after William Peace but can't get off because they only have one vRRO result (a win against Oglethorpe).   With E&H stuck, Emory never has a chance to be evaluated.

We picked Trinity simply because of the disparity in the rankings between Trinity and Austin.  We didn't think it was enough for the one game to bridge, but we could definitely be wrong about that.  The women's committee is much more difficult to predict on things like that.  Clearly the pod and the matchups are all but guaranteed, though.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ron Boerger

Five at-large bids in the top left quadrant including Williams (18-8) who never even got onto the d3hoops board.

Bottom left quad:  NYU gets in, also not selected by d3hoops (were on the board late).    Oglethorpe gets screwed out of hosting due to travel.   William Peace plays the Stormy Petrels.

9 at-large remaining for right hand of bracket.

Top right quad:  George Fox makes three west coast teams sent cross-country.
- Trinity gets to host, will play UT-D;  UMHB-Austin in the other match.   Good job d3hoops gang

Bottom right quad:  with 8 teams left all the AQs are off the board.

jekelish

Not that it matters since the field is set and my team is in, but I have to admit this week's regional rankings have me scratching my head just a little... https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2020/02/women-regional-rankings-final

Virtually no change except Hardin-Simmons jumping over Austin College, from unranked to 8, despite AC beating the #1 team in the region and winning a conference title. William Peace and Emory & Henry stayed put despite losing in their conference tournaments. Again - doesn't matter at this point with the field set, and my team is in and owns wins against the #1, #2, and #4 teams in the region.

(Alright, maybe I'm slightly salty.)

Ron Boerger

Quote from: jekelish on March 02, 2020, 11:59:52 PM
Not that it matters since the field is set and my team is in, but I have to admit this week's regional rankings have me scratching my head just a little... https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2020/02/women-regional-rankings-final

Virtually no change except Hardin-Simmons jumping over Austin College, from unranked to 8, despite AC beating the #1 team in the region and winning a conference title. William Peace and Emory & Henry stayed put despite losing in their conference tournaments. Again - doesn't matter at this point with the field set, and my team is in and owns wins against the #1, #2, and #4 teams in the region.

Agreed.   Only thing I see is that AC's SOS is lower than the other teams that are ranked even with the W.  One additional win vs RROs doesn't move the needle much all by itself, but you would think beating a #1 would do something.

Now what would chap my *** if I was a UMHB fan is why they aren't #1 in the region when they have a better overall record, record vs RROs, SOS, *and* secondary record than Trinity.

cover2

Quote from: Ron Boerger on March 03, 2020, 12:07:40 AM
Quote from: jekelish on March 02, 2020, 11:59:52 PM

Agreed.   Only thing I see is that AC's SOS is lower than the other teams that are ranked even with the W.  One additional win vs RROs doesn't move the needle much all by itself, but you would think beating a #1 would do something.

Now what would chap my *** if I was a UMHB fan is why they aren't #1 in the region when they have a better overall record, record vs RROs, SOS, *and* secondary record than Trinity.

....and won their conference tournament.  Which, in most cases, should be another reason to set one team over another. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I don't read "winning conference tournament" as part of the criteria.

Yes, Austin beat Trinity in ONE game out of three. Moves the needle, but not a ton.

Sometimes other factors play out. Austin having a lousy SOS was not helping them and would have left them home had they not gotten the AQ.

And Austin wasn't going to host this over Trinity for a lot of reasons just because they beat them last week. Trinity was #1 and one loss wasn't necessarily going to cost them, either.

These aren't in a vaccuum. These rankings are wiped clean every week and determining who has the best resume with SOS, head-to-head, common opponents, WL% and more are the deciding factors. Nearly ALL of that data is changing constantly until the end. One game isn't shuffling the deck but every game in DIII does.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

jekelish

I think he was referring to UMHB winning their conference tournament and not getting the hosting duties.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: jekelish on March 04, 2020, 05:19:58 PM
I think he was referring to UMHB winning their conference tournament and not getting the hosting duties.

Ok .. my first sentence remains intact. Just because a team wins their conference tournament doesn't drive the ship.

The overall resumes do that and I am not sure UMHB would have jumped Trinity at the end.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.