MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaboNation

Well that's one way to force the committee to put 2 NEWMAC teams in the tournament!

A tale of two halfs.  In the 1st WPI denied the paint superbly and would not allow Jomard to operate down low.  Limited to long-range shooting MIT could not find the mark.  The halftime score of 35-17 looked pretty good for the visitors.

The 2nd half saw a ferocious comeback in the final 10 minutes, with MIT taking its first lead with about 3 minutes left.  MIT switched most of their offense to a high-low post, flashing Jomard, Roberts, and Forsythe down low.  On the other end they suffocated everything inside.

Wheeler hit a couple 3s to settle the ship for WPI, and MIT needed a good bounce off a 3-ptr from Jurko to tie it at 53 with under a minute left.

It came down to one possession and a clear-out for McNamara.  He used every bit of the clock, crossed over, jab stepped, squared up, and drained it as time expired.

I heard that this was the 16th consecutive NEWMAC semifinal for WPI.  What a credit to the program and the coaching staff.

Congratulations!

WPI89

Babo. Perfectly said. I think I might have given you all of your karma points!  I was in Worcester on Saturday and this was a completely different game. I was too nervous to watch much of second half. But I do want to compliment the end of game MIT announcers. They were completely appropriate on the excitement of the upset. Then settled into a fun David vs Goliath theme. Good job fellas!

WPI89

3,6,8 nationally lose tonight. Bubbles bursting everywhere! 

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: WPI89 on February 21, 2019, 10:38:24 PM
3,6,8 nationally lose tonight. Bubbles bursting everywhere!

Oshkosh, MIT, and the OAC are really the only ones for sure, so far.  I didn't think UST would be St. John's anyway and both are in, so there's not really a bubble burst there unless Augsburg wins Saturday.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

rlk

Quote from: WPI89 on February 21, 2019, 09:25:24 PM
Babo. Perfectly said. I think I might have given you all of your karma points!  I was in Worcester on Saturday and this was a completely different game. I was too nervous to watch much of second half. But I do want to compliment the end of game MIT announcers. They were completely appropriate on the excitement of the upset. Then settled into a fun David vs Goliath theme. Good job fellas!

Wasn't a lot of fun for us, but congratulations!
MIT Course VI-3 1987 -- #RollTech

WPI89

Congrats Emerson. Shot the lights out. Go do damage. #NEWMAC

BaboNation

Emerson wins its first NEWMAC tournament.  Now Wheaton is the only league member without a crown.

Emerson plays extremely well at home, so much so that WPI's typically stifling defense was ineffective in this game.

Nevertheless WPI should be formidable next year, losing no one to graduation.  I suspect they aren't being invited to the Big Dance this year.

Go NEWMAC!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

This is it! The regular season is over. The conference titles have been handed out and 86 teams know they will be playing next week in the NCAA Division III men's and women's Championship Tournaments!

However, 42 slots need to be filled. Which programs have best positioned themselves to selected to play for a national title?

It is the biggest show of the year. Bubble teams watch anxiously. Rivals watch wondering if their rivals will make the event. Others watch because ... this is one of the best nights of the entire season.

Tune in a special episode of Hoopsville where we will make our mock selections of who will be in and who will be left out of the DIII national tournaments. Our teams of experts will make the picks using the same criteria the national committees consider.

Plus, hear, one last time before the brackets are announced, from the national committee chairs who discuss how this year's rankings and process have worked out. And hear from some teams who have already punched their tickets to the tournaments - many for the first time in program history!

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Sunday's special will hit the air at 6:00 p.m. ET right here: http://bit.ly/2XuWjWa (or via Facebook Live or Periscope simulcasts).

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to dave.mchugh@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options below.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- John Alesi, Baruch men's coach
- Sam Atkinson, Men's National Committee Chair (Gallaudet Associate Director for Communications)
- Russ Phillips, Alfred men's coach
- Bill Curley, Emerson men's coach
- Karin Harvey, Women's National Committee Chair (Montclair State women's coach)
- Rayne Reber, Rosemont women's coach
- Lyle Jones, Bethany Lutheran women's coach

Men's Mock Selections Team:
- Ryan Scott, D3hoops.com
- Bob Quillman, IWUHoops.com
- Michael Blaine, Medaille men's coach

Women's Mock Selections Team:
- Gordon Mann, D3hoops.com
- BJ Spigelmyer, DeSales Sports Information Director
- James Wagner, CSAC Assistant Commissioner

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

AllStar

WPI89

I see MIT winning 2 games at Swarthmore.  And although you never like to play that first game on another team's court, I do not hate Emerson's matchup either. Good luck to both!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Which MIT team are we going to get?  That's my big question.  Swarthmore is playing at their peak right now, really clicking and I haven't seen that from MIT yet.  It's going to be a great second round game either way.  I'm not sure MIT has the post presence to compete with Swat, though.  Roberts is good, but there's only one of him.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Mountain Man

Having watched two Middlebury-Swarthmore matchups in person & the MIT-Middlebury Sweet 16. I offer this.

MIT has the shooting to beat Swarthmore. If MIT can trade 3's for 2's They can win. 
If this is a slower, more methodical game then MIT will have to be perfect to win.

Fascinating potential matchup.   MIT must not sleep on Skidmore who I have also seen in person twice these 2 years.

Skidmore has very athletic team which could challenge MIT. I like MIT's Game IQ to beat Skidmore

BaboNation

I think MIT got a fortunate draw, given their NEWMAC early exit.  Taking nothing away from Skidmore, it's a team they should handle.  Hopefully they won't wait til halftime if game adjustments are needed.  Let Jurko run the offense and see if either Hinkley or Forsythe are feelin' it beyond the arc.  But by no means fall in love with the 3-ball.  They are at their best playing with tempo, sharing the ball, and keeping the defense guessing as they alternate between post moves, back screens, and the high-low game.  Now fully healthy it seems, it's showtime!  This team is loaded ... do some damage!

Emerson obviously got the tougher draw.  They'll have their hands full in what looks like one of the most entertaining pods in the first 2 rounds.  Nichols-Middlebury should be really interesting.
I expect a high-scoring game between Rowan and Emerson.  Gray-O'Connor-Waterhouse are eminently capable of filling it up.  If they're on it will be fun to watch.

NEWMACJACK

Saw this over in the NESCAC board. 

"Just some pre-tourney perspective. Below is a list of teams from the East region that have made at least (5) NCAA tournament appearances. Scranton and Wittenberg are tied for the most appearances all-time with 28 each. This list does not take into account bids for this year's tournament. Some teams listed may have made tournament appearances in multiple conferences (Hamilton). Since what year have NESCAC teams been eligible for the tournament?

The recent success of Middlebury and MIT is also very impressive. 

24   Salem State   MASCAC   1980   2017                                 
19   Amherst   NESCAC   1994   2017                                 
16   Clark (MA)   NEWMAC   1978   2010                                                         
16   Williams   NESCAC   1994   2018                                                         
14   UMass Dartmouth   Little East   1976   2009                                                         
12   Western Connecticut   Little East   1986   2012                                 
12   WPI      NEWMAC   1982   2016                                                     
11   Rhode Island College   Little East   1975   2014                                                         
10   Hamilton   NESCAC   1995   2018                             
9   Babson      NEWMAC   1992   2017                                                         
9   Middlebury   NESCAC   2008   2018                                                     
9   Springfield   NEWMAC   1996   2018                                                     
9   Trinity (CT)   NESCAC   1995   2016                                                         
8   Bridgewater State   MASCAC   1983   2018                                 
8   Eastern Connecticut   Little East   1992   2018                                 
8   Endicott   CCC   2000   2017                                                         
8   MIT      NEWMAC   2009   2018                                                           
7   Brandeis   UAA   1975   2010                                                   
7   Elms      NECC   2005   2013                                 
7   UMass Boston   Little East   1975   2006                                 
6   Albertus Magnus   GNAC   2010   2017                                                           
6   Husson      North Atlantic   2009   2017                                                           
5   Keene State   Little East   2004   2017                                                           
5   Suffolk      GNAC      1975   2002                                 
5   Tufts      NESCAC   1995   2017"

T990

Interesting post, NEWMACJACK.  Thanks for that.