WBB: Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by charge, October 30, 2004, 11:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester1390

I know Rose almost beat Gustavus. If my daughter stayed home that would be the college she would have attended.

Jester1390

ok i have basketball fever it was hell not having my daughter play AAU this summer. She got offered to play in the MIAC summer season but she didnt want to play on teams that recruited her. Does HCAC have a summer league  I know Rose doesnt do one if there is due to internships.

I know not all rosters are posted yet but how do you think the conference will look like.  How did the st. mary crosstown start.  What is coach prevos reputation.  in all my dealings with him he has been terrific.   Rose was the last school she would visit and they did something real smart.  The head of the school told her "Kahlan its great that your a terrific basketball player and we look forward to having you play but your hear because of your mind and you wouldn't be here if we felt you would not flourish here.  That meant alot to her and got her to pass up full rides from D2 and Naia schools.  Coach Prevo also told her that her hard work had given her options and she should be proud of that. That to many kids dont have the options they may only have one offer or cant afford a school so they attend a university they may not want to or take a major thats not their first choice.  To be frank they didnt make her feel like a piece of meat.  Some will argue with me and have that the following sentiment kept her from being a D1 player they may be right i Have no ideal but when she says basketball is part of me but not who I am. Im proud of that.  There is no WNBA for my daughter she has already stated that she is going to treat these 4 years as her Wnba career and also to get the experiences team wise she wasnt able to have in high school.

ok enough rambling dont have anyone to talk to about their kids experience as she is the only one from her school to play college,

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Jester1390 on October 15, 2019, 04:49:25 PM
ok i have basketball fever it was hell not having my daughter play AAU this summer. She got offered to play in the MIAC summer season but she didnt want to play on teams that recruited her. Does HCAC have a summer league  I know Rose doesnt do one if there is due to internships.
I don't believe the HCAC has anything like that.

I know not all rosters are posted yet but how do you think the conference will look like.   
My guess is Transylvania is still the team to beat, but Rose and Hanover will be in the mix. They've been in the top 4 for the past few years. Hard to say until rosters are set.

How did the st. mary crosstown start. 
I don't know the origins, but I know St Mary-of-the-Woods was an all women school until just a few years ago. RHIT was all male until the 90s I think.
My guess is that the Hulman family connections are the reason. They're best known now for IndyCar and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway but originally Hulman & Company was founded in the mid 1800s in Terre Haute for groceries and best known for Clabber Girl baking powder. A few of the females in the Hulman family went to St Mary while the Hulman name was added to Rose Polytechnic in 1971 for their contributions there.
There's also Indiana State located between the two but they're a D1 program.

What is coach prevos reputation.  in all my dealings with him he has been terrific.   Rose was the last school she would visit and they did something real smart.  The head of the school told her "Kahlan its great that your a terrific basketball player and we look forward to having you play but your hear because of your mind and you wouldn't be here if we felt you would not flourish here.  That meant alot to her and got her to pass up full rides from D2 and Naia schools.  Coach Prevo also told her that her hard work had given her options and she should be proud of that. That to many kids dont have the options they may only have one offer or cant afford a school so they attend a university they may not want to or take a major thats not their first choice.  To be frank they didnt make her feel like a piece of meat.  Some will argue with me and have that the following sentiment kept her from being a D1 player they may be right i Have no ideal but when she says basketball is part of me but not who I am. Im proud of that.  There is no WNBA for my daughter she has already stated that she is going to treat these 4 years as her Wnba career and also to get the experiences team wise she wasnt able to have in high school.

ok enough rambling dont have anyone to talk to about their kids experience as she is the only one from her school to play college,
I can't say from personal experience (bowling was my sport of choice but wasn't offered at Franklin), but certainly the student part of student-athlete is far more emphasized than at a larger school.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Jester1390

Lol what happened on here, I was going through all the old posts just to get a feel for the history of the conference and when you get to 2015 its like a massacre happened and everyone disappeared.  Grizz your the only one left lol the others like passengers on a flight in the Bermuda Triangle Poof.

ronk

Quote from: Jester1390 on October 18, 2019, 05:37:10 PM
Lol what happened on here, I was going through all the old posts just to get a feel for the history of the conference and when you get to 2015 its like a massacre happened and everyone disappeared.  Grizz your the only one left lol the others like passengers on a flight in the Bermuda Triangle Poof.

Your frequent posting may inspire others to (re)join the forum; it's tough to stay interested if nobody's posting.  ;)

Jester1390

Lol Im a basketball junky and with my daughter being a freshman ill be here for awhile.  My daugther is in shape and she has had aau coaches who always say there is in shape and then their is basketball in shape.  She worked hard for college this summer but after a couple of practices  she has now added there is Rose Hulman shape.

Jester1390

I have another question what is the karma score and what affects it

Jester1390

Ok was bored watching baseball game here is some food for fodder,

This is what each team graduated pts and rebound wise. Not all teams have new rosters up but i also included juniors who are not on the roster anymore.  Will start most loss pts a game  to least

1. Rose Hulman  6 seniors  55 pts 30 rebounds   New roster not posted yet. i know though that was freshman is no longer playing due to knee injury.

2. Transylvania  5 seniors  29pts 10 rebounds    All juniors are back

3. Mount St Joesph  3 seniors  23pts 14 reb     new roster not posted

4.Defiance   3 seniors  23 pts 12 rebounds   new roster not posted

5.Manchester  5 seniors 22pts 15 reb     new roster not posted

6.Bluffton    1 senior didnt average over one  however they have 4 juniors not on this years roster who averaged 15 pts and 10 rebounds would be interesting to know what happened there,  Hamline University in the MIAC went through a similar thing. Older players tried to start a  coup with new coach and they all quit and Hamline went on to have their best year in a long time. I coached 2 of the players on that team.

7.Hanover 3 seniors 15 pts 5 reb   2 juniors not back   2pts 1 reb

8.Franklin  1 senior 10 pts 4 reb all juniors back

9. Earlham 7 pts 4 reb 1 junior not back 7 pts 2 reb

10.Anderson   0 seniors      1 junior not back 1pt 1 reb

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Jester1390 on October 18, 2019, 09:30:38 PM

QuoteKarma is an optional feature that shows the popularity of a certain member. The administrator can enable this from core features. When members are allowed, they can Applaud or Smite a member to raise or lower that member's karma.
When you have enough posts on the boards (can't remember what it is as I hit it a long time ago) you'll unlock the ability to applaud or smite people. It will be located right underneath the karma score. Ultimately it doesn't do anything special but it's a nice way to show appreciation for posts that were helpful/liked/etc or to show displeasure with someone who's being chaotic and disruptive. So right now I've been applauded 480 times and smited 49.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on October 18, 2019, 11:40:51 PM
Quote from: Jester1390 on October 18, 2019, 09:30:38 PM

QuoteKarma is an optional feature that shows the popularity of a certain member. The administrator can enable this from core features. When members are allowed, they can Applaud or Smite a member to raise or lower that member's karma.
When you have enough posts on the boards (can't remember what it is as I hit it a long time ago) you'll unlock the ability to applaud or smite people. It will be located right underneath the karma score. Ultimately it doesn't do anything special but it's a nice way to show appreciation for posts that were helpful/liked/etc or to show displeasure with someone who's being chaotic and disruptive. So right now I've been applauded 480 times and smited 49.

The applaud/smite buttons appear after your 200th post.

Jester1390

Mr Ypsi you must have some controversial posts lol   with all your smits

ronk

By a margin of .15%, we love Mr. Ypsi's posts.    :)

Enginerd

Quote from: Jester1390 on October 18, 2019, 10:32:20 PM
Ok was bored watching baseball game here is some food for fodder,

This is what each team graduated pts and rebound wise. Not all teams have new rosters up but i also included juniors who are not on the roster anymore.  Will start most loss pts a game  to least

1. Rose Hulman  6 seniors  55 pts 30 rebounds   New roster not posted yet. i know though that was freshman is no longer playing due to knee injury.

2. Transylvania  5 seniors  29pts 10 rebounds    All juniors are back

3. Mount St Joesph  3 seniors  23pts 14 reb     new roster not posted

4.Defiance   3 seniors  23 pts 12 rebounds   new roster not posted

5.Manchester  5 seniors 22pts 15 reb     new roster not posted

6.Bluffton    1 senior didnt average over one  however they have 4 juniors not on this years roster who averaged 15 pts and 10 rebounds would be interesting to know what happened there,  Hamline University in the MIAC went through a similar thing. Older players tried to start a  coup with new coach and they all quit and Hamline went on to have their best year in a long time. I coached 2 of the players on that team.

7.Hanover 3 seniors 15 pts 5 reb   2 juniors not back   2pts 1 reb

8.Franklin  1 senior 10 pts 4 reb all juniors back

9. Earlham 7 pts 4 reb 1 junior not back 7 pts 2 reb

10.Anderson   0 seniors      1 junior not back 1pt 1 reb

I wouldn't worry about Bluffton. Their sports information is always a hot mess. Until recently every single sentence in every single paragraph in every story on that website ended with an exclamation point.

Their WBB Twitter page has a photo of five incoming freshmen - one of whom looks to be at least 6'1. They did lose some seniors this year, but none that weren't replace-able from what I could tell - I rarely see any games in person anymore since my neice graduated but I still keep up with them because it's so much fun to see the frustration when teams lose to the smart girls! Bluffton usually have a few solid kids in every recruiting class. Well-coached and tough to beat at their place.

Transy and Hanover, on paper, should be the pre-season #1 and #2. If I were a betting man I'd say Hanover is the team to beat. Transy is a COMPLETELY different team on the road vs. at home, so hosting rights are HUGE! RHIT is very much on terra incognita right now, will be fun to see what kind of team emerges with all the young blood - apparently many of the new players were very highly recruited and capable of playing at a high level, but you never know what you'll get with such youth. They might finish anywhere from 4th to actually winning it. Hanover has a solid nucleus returning and likely recruited well also.

other HCAC programs:
#4 - Bluffton (always dangerous and well-coached and if they picked up some great freshmen look out)
#5 - Franklin (good players and they have recruited well recently)
#6 - Anderson (this SHOULD be the year they take some steps toward being competitive - had the Fresh. of year and 2-3 other good freshmen last year)

Manchester - extremely well-coached
Earlham - Good enough to beat teams they shouldn't, especially at home mid-week
MSJ - They lost the 2nd-best PG in the league and another really good player. Depends on how they recruited.
Defiance - Could contend for top 6. Well-coached and played both RHIT and Hanover tough last year I believe

Jester1390

who is usually the doormat. I know the rose players all know the winning tradition at Rose the last few years,  They are embracing the challenge of not just hopefully filling the shoes of the class that just graduated and did so many thing but getting even bigger shoes.  They are such a large class lots of post players.  Nosa can jump out of the gym. My daughter had to play point alot out of high school and she isnt slow for a 6 footer but she said she is slow compared to Desiree and some of the others., kahlan has played with very quick girls in AAu. But Desiree is the quickest she has played with.  Rose is a machine inside.  All the other freshman can hoop. My daughter cant believe what it is like to play with everyone knowing how to play.   There is only 3 older players returning  I believe one isnt able to come back from concussions from last year. Not 100 percent on that I know she was still hurting when school started.

Enginerd

Doormat?
Hmm...the only school who has not finished in the top six (and thus qualified for the HCAC Tournament) at least once in the past decade is Anderson. Anderson has always had some talent and coaching - but they keep losing layers to either injury or just quitting basketball altogether. They have had two really outstanding PG's in the past five years that each quit the team (and possibly school altogether) and, coincidentally one of the more recent games I attended was at Anderson and I just asked an Anderson parent I sat next to what happened to them and was told they left school to get married (it's a church school). They have recruited fairly well recently so I'm expecting them to eventually start winning a bit - they had RHIT on the ropes at their place last season and, but for a couple late turnovers, probably should have won.
Talent-wise, Transylvania and Hanover (RHIT is unknown quantity so leaving them out) are considerably further ahead of the other seven teams, but probably all of them are just good enough to win a home game vs. either if they don't play well. Feels like the rest of the conference is slowly catching up to the top 3 schools. Will be intriguing to see the new RHIT team - I'm sure everyone is hoping they will be down this year.