Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Bartman on January 04, 2017, 05:21:34 PM
Quote from: jknezek on January 04, 2017, 01:17:35 PM
Quote from: Bartman on January 04, 2017, 12:31:52 PM
Quote from: jknezek on January 04, 2017, 10:00:30 AM
Quote from: Bartman on January 04, 2017, 09:29:46 AM
Quote from: jknezek on January 03, 2017, 02:03:54 PM
Whew. If Governor Cuomo gets his way, there will be some serious advantage to being a state school come recruiting time. Free tuition for families making $125K or less is huge. I know some private schools do similar, but I haven't seen that high a threshold. I believe W&L's is $75K.
Guess who's running for President in 2020? I think Bombers is right that the tipping point was reached many years ago, but IF passed, an extra 6k could make a difference for a few recruits....but I know Hobart can be  competitive for "need based " scholarships(including room and board ) ,  not as specific as W&L with 75K threshold....Hobart's net tuition for all freshman is 55% of retail and 20-25% of new students are full payers(many  football players are lucky to come from families that can afford full tuition and love the D3 football experience at a private school , in fact football may be a net tuition contributor)....I do think it will keep some NY recruits in state which could help the overall pool for the E8 publics....we will see if it gets passed...3 year phase in...it could be funded by state tax on natural gas drilling/exploration ;)

Yeah. I'm sure W&L uses the same ridiculously complex formulas to determine most aid, but if your family makes less than 75k (at least that was the threshold when it was announced around 5 years ago), tuition is free and room and board was mostly free. I still think it has an impact on families. Just publicity wise, more kids will apply to the state schools knowing this policy is out there and more parents will encourage it. Even if they could get a comparable deal from a private, it may not even come up to look there.
I think you have a valid point that it will help E8 publics recruit and keep NY recruits in state. At Hobart we will try to differentiate with a diverse liberal arts curriculum , a 10:1 student to faculty ratio, great coaching staff, the ability to play D1 lacrosse for a few multi sport athletes and the beautiful Finger Lakes Fall and Spring weather(the Winter can be spent abroad ;D)....however having a 1.5 Billion Endowment like W&L would really be sweet(my quick math says Hobart could lower our tuition by  an additional 30K per student at a 5% investment yield with that size endowment.....hmmm...  tuition free based on our current average net tuition of about 30k).....now we just need to find 1.3 Billion to add to the endowment to offer free tuition

W&L's endowment is a pet peeve of mine. When I applied, back in the mid-90s, the school was listed as one of the great values in college education. Still stupidly expensive, but not enough to make you pull your hair out. Since then, the sticker price has gone up because apparently it helps with rankings to have a stupid sticker price attached to your school. The net spend by student, adjusted for education inflation (way higher than real inflation), hasn't changed much, but now the school doesn't look like a value for anyone but Richie Rich.

All the while the begging and pleading for endowment donations continues. I work in finance, so I know that the proceeds from the endowment, and the usable proceeds from the endowment, are different from the actual endowment, but it still annoys me that they drive up the sticker to try and increase the prestige when the means exist to provide one of the best liberal arts educations in the country without a "race your peers" to the top cost mentality.
Well said....... many would love to have W&L's financial options...I hope the football budget is generous...

I swear that colleges just figure that those families that can write checks for 50K a year can easily write a check for 65K a year (which is probably true), so they just raise the tuition. 

It is insane.

jknezek

Well said....... many would love to have W&L's financial options...I hope the football budget is generous...

I don't think the team wants for anything reasonable, but if you are talking about getting players through admissions W&L has never really concerned themselves with that since the big cheating scandal in the mid 50s. Coaches are well compensated as near as I can tell (info isn't released obviously, but coaches generally stay a LONG time if they are modestly successful), but it's not like the NESCAC where there are "athletic slots" for each team.

The team is, I believe, flying out to California for a game this upcoming season. C-M-S came this past year and it is generally believed to be a home and home. If true, this will be the first flight game for W&L since playing Georgetown for the last time in Bermuda in 1993. No idea why they did that. How much of the reasons for this oddity revolve around the departure of Catholic and the 7 team league versus simply a reward for W&L's recent success, I don't know. I'm guessing more than a bit but for a while, at least, W&L used to reward teams that won ODAC championships with a big trip in the next possible schedule. For football that is obviously a bit more difficult, and the practice seems to have disappeared somewhat as most teams seem to take a decent trip these days once a season regardless of past results.

I don't think the athletic teams want for much reasonable at the DIII level. The facilities have ALL been updated within the last 20 years. That was completely necessary as when I started in the mid-90s some facilities, including football, were horribly behind. But with the new natatorium being built now, it's hard to say any facility at W&L is sub-par. There are probably only a few that are truly among the top in DIII, field hockey and tennis are the two that might earn that distinction, but none would be considered less than very, very good.

Bartman

Quote from: jknezek on January 05, 2017, 11:29:13 AM

I don't think the team wants for anything reasonable, but if you are talking about getting players through admissions W&L has never really concerned themselves with that since the big cheating scandal in the mid 50s. Coaches are well compensated as near as I can tell (info isn't released obviously, but coaches generally stay a LONG time if they are modestly successful), but it's not like the NESCAC where there are "athletic slots" for each team.

The team is, I believe, flying out to California for a game this upcoming season. C-M-S came this past year and it is generally believed to be a home and home. If true, this will be the first flight game for W&L since playing Georgetown for the last time in Bermuda in 1993. No idea why they did that. How much of the reasons for this oddity revolve around the departure of Catholic and the 7 team league versus simply a reward for W&L's recent success, I don't know. I'm guessing more than a bit but for a while, at least, W&L used to reward teams that won ODAC championships with a big trip in the next possible schedule. For football that is obviously a bit more difficult, and the practice seems to have disappeared somewhat as most teams seem to take a decent trip these days once a season regardless of past results.

I don't think the athletic teams want for much reasonable at the DIII level. The facilities have ALL been updated within the last 20 years. That was completely necessary as when I started in the mid-90s some facilities, including football, were horribly behind. But with the new natatorium being built now, it's hard to say any facility at W&L is sub-par. There are probably only a few that are truly among the top in DIII, field hockey and tennis are the two that might earn that distinction, but none would be considered less than very, very good.
W&L has the resources to do pretty much whatever they want...including going D1 ( heck Davidson has half of your endowment and counts Steph Curry as an Alum), but I am sure having a great D3 program coupled with a top academic reputation is enough .
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

jknezek

I'm not saying D1 will never happen because the future is awfully long and the position of private schools in higher ed is under a massive amount of stress. But W&L gave up big time athletics for a reason and there is no reason, or desire, to bring it back now. Maybe someday they will find one though I hope there is never a need to be so desperate. All those reasons schools give for making such a move these days simply don't apply to W&L.

D3viewer

Brockport"s Dan Andrews just made an appearance at an all star type combine in TX. Doesn't look like there is any game, just drills and practices. But it appears many NFL/CFL scouts attended and Andrews impressed enough to get a mention in the liner notes of this article.
http://www.metro.us/new-york/giants-jets-take-hard-look-at-players-at-college-gridiron-showcase/zsJqaq---55hzYSas9NdCg/

Bartman

Quote from: D3viewer on January 17, 2017, 05:33:19 PM
Brockport"s Dan Andrews just made an appearance at an all star type combine in TX. Doesn't look like there is any game, just drills and practices. But it appears many NFL/CFL scouts attended and Andrews impressed enough to get a mention in the liner notes of this article.
http://www.metro.us/new-york/giants-jets-take-hard-look-at-players-at-college-gridiron-showcase/zsJqaq---55hzYSas9NdCg/
I think Andrews will make it to someone's camp. Hope he makes it
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

AUPepBand

Pep is pleased to report the Saxons have won the Lambert Cup for Division III, symbolic of the best Division III football team in the East. Here's the ECAC release:

http://ecacsports.com/news/2017/1/16/FB_0116170037.aspx?path=football

The Lambert Cup is Alfred's second in history. The Saxons won the Lambert Bowl back in 1971 following a perfect 8-0-0 season under (legendary) Coach Alex Yunevich.

On Saxon Warriors!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

Bartman

Quote from: AUPepBand on January 19, 2017, 04:45:26 PM
Pep is pleased to report the Saxons have won the Lambert Cup for Division III, symbolic of the best Division III football team in the East. Here's the ECAC release:

http://ecacsports.com/news/2017/1/16/FB_0116170037.aspx?path=football

The Lambert Cup is Alfred's second in history. The Saxons won the Lambert Bowl back in 1971 following a perfect 8-0-0 season under (legendary) Coach Alex Yunevich.

On Saxon Warriors!
Congrats to all the Saxons...a great season!
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

ITH radio

Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Bombers798891

Quote from: ITH radio on January 26, 2017, 12:17:11 PM
https://theithacan.org/sports/new-football-head-coach-prepares-to-lead-team-into-new-era/

I'm very interested in seeing how Swanstrom's staff comes together, particularly who he hires as defensive coordinator.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Bombers798891 on January 30, 2017, 08:28:41 AM
https://theithacan.org/sports/new-football-head-coach-prepares-to-lead-team-into-new-era/

I'm very interested in seeing how Swanstrom's staff comes together, particularly who he hires as defensive coordinator.

Me too.  It appears that several of the coaches from last year who post on social media appear to still be with the program, and this is a time where coaches need to find other jobs, especially if the new coach is already here.  I assume he will have open interviews for specific spots and go from there?

Edit: I'd also like to see what the 2017 schedule looks like.

Bombers798891

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on January 30, 2017, 09:54:38 AM

Me too.  It appears that several of the coaches from last year who post on social media appear to still be with the program, and this is a time where coaches need to find other jobs, especially if the new coach is already here.  I assume he will have open interviews for specific spots and go from there?

Yes, it will be interesting to see who survives the cut besides Alfred and Cortland.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Bombers798891 on January 30, 2017, 10:56:20 AM
Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on January 30, 2017, 09:54:38 AM

Yes, it will be interesting to see who survives the cut besides Alfred and Cortland.

Yep.  They have had a couple years to prepare, and the LL I assume lays out its conference schedule a few years in advance (although they did not predict the 3 teams leaving).  I wouldn't be surprised if they added a MAC team but SJF is a good game so I would think they would want to keep them first, followed by day trip Hartwick and maybe Brockport?  (I can't remember if Brockport is a day trip or not).

Bombers798891

Football is stupid and dumb and I hate it.

Sorry, I don't really. I'm just a Falcons fan

jknezek

Quote from: Bombers798891 on February 06, 2017, 09:33:47 AM
Football is stupid and dumb and I hate it.

Sorry, I don't really. I'm just a Falcons fan

As someone who doesn't like the Patriots, last night was painful. Any defensive coordinator at the NFL level should be able to watch enough tape to realize that you can't play prevent defense against Tom Brady. Especially when your original game plan worked so well. But for the last 2 drives in regulation, and the drive in overtime, we aren't going to press the receivers and play them tight, we aren't going to stunt, we aren't going to be creative and do the things that landed Brady on his butt 16 times. We're just going to keep it all in front of us and give up 20 yard chunks by letting Tom Brady sit in the pocket and tear us apart.

Sometimes I wonder...