Pool C

Started by Pat Coleman, January 20, 2006, 02:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

Question -  I haven't looked at the changes resulting from the jump in C bids - Is there anything that links the spots to geography, region or conference?   Or is it simply, heres the conference champs, heres the B's, now the next "best" 18 are the C's.  What I'm wondering is if the middle of the country can dominate the C field with the CCIW challenging for two C's, the MIAA 2, Wash U, an HCAC, A WIAC or 2, An NCAC, an MWC -  

OR would the committee say no more than 1 per conference, or no more than 3 per region, etc?

The best 18 will be WONDERFUL  .  deserving teams willvirtually be assured of a spot.

Now if they could only equalize the brackets so 4 legits go to Salem...
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Pat Coleman

Quote from: hopefan on January 27, 2006, 03:49:52 PM
Or is it simply, heres the conference champs, heres the B's, now the next "best" 18 are the C's.

This.

Of course, their definition of "best" might not match ours.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Obviously the problems come with upsets in the conference tourneys where a team like Cortland might get in if they don't get the AQ.  Even though they will have a good region record and a decent QOWI number, their schedule is not exactly stacked.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

smedindy

Good region ranking + good QOWI = Pool C, probably.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

It's a little too early to start talking Pool C, but the first rankings come out in about ten days right?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Hoops Fan on January 27, 2006, 05:31:07 PM

It's a little too early to start talking Pool C, but the first rankings come out in about ten days right?

Yes, Wednesday, February 8th.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Hoops Fan on January 27, 2006, 05:31:07 PM

Are you kidding me?  Everytime a WIAC team lost an in-region game, I thought about Pool C!  :-[
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

We were talking on another board about where the "line" is going to get drawn in the eyes of the selection committee for Pool C.  In past year, with the smaller amount of bids, seven in-region losses and you don't get a look, no matter how good your QOWI number is.  This year, I think there might be some 7 loss teams getting looks.  Any thoughts?

Outside a top conference team losing their tournament and dropping into the Pool C locks.  There aren't going to be too many second place teams with less than 4 or 5 losses in region.

The runners up in the NESCAC, SCAC, NCAC, MIAA, MWC, NWC and maybe the CCIW will probably be at 4 in-region losses or less.  We'll call that 6-7 locks for a C bid.  Add in 4 "suprise" upsets of higher ranked teams.  That leaves 7-8 bids still open.  I think at this point any team with a high QOWI number and 5-7 in-region losses is in the mix.  That's going to be a lot of teams.  It should be interesting.

TheFence

I noticed you didn't include the UAA runner up as Pool C lock.  I had outside hoops the leaue might get 3 bids this year.  I guess that was just wishful thinking.

Ralph Turner

The first Regional Rankings are coming out next week.

That will give us a better look at the candidates.

Greek Tragedy

I've always contended that five losses puts teams on the proverbial bubble.  I still believe that.  I know the Pool C is expanding to 18 or whatever, up from 7 or so, but there is NO WAY a 7-loss team is getting in.  I think you might see one or two 6-loss teams.  Of course, I hope I'm wrong.  Hopefully this weekend I'll have a list, based on records, who I think still have shots at Pool C bids.  I still think conferences like the WIAC, CCIW, MIAA and UAA with 3-5 solid teams will be stuck with two (and the WIAC might not even get that)...while top-heavy  weaker conferences will get two as well, if not more.  Not to say the NESCAC is a weaker conference, but they have a shot at three because of their dumb single round robin crap! lol.  >:(

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Honestly the NESCAC's schedule does stink, but the top three teams all deserve to be in the mix this year; they are very good and certainly well above the rest of the region.

I doubt the WIAC even gets two and I also think a seven loss team will get serious consideration, if not a bid.  There will be a lot of seven loss teams with good QOWI.  You also have to remember that every Pool C team will have at least one more loss than they do now.  Unless there is a huge rash of upsets in the conference tourney, seven loss teams will get a good look.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Hoops Fan on February 03, 2006, 09:01:31 AM
I doubt the WIAC even gets two and I also think a seven loss team will get serious consideration, if not a bid. There will be a lot of seven loss teams with good QOWI....Unless there is a huge rash of upsets in the conference tourney, seven loss teams will get a good look.

Well, we're never going to agree on this.  I don't think the WIAC will get two.  But then you think a seven loss team might get a bid.  So, how could a seven-loss WIAC team not get considered?  Come on.  Every team that has seven losses will most likely not have a very good QOWI since, at least, nearly a third of their games will be losses (we're obviously talking in-region games here).  Plus, the most points a team can have with each loss is seven points.  If it's anyone who will have a decent QOWI with seven losses, it's a WIAC team.

If you think a seven-loss team will get serious consideration, then you have to also think a WIAC team has a serious shot at getting in as a Pool C team, IMO.

I think you'll see a lot more 23-4 mediocre teams who play in weak regions considered before you see 20-7 solid teams from tough conferences (CCIW, WIAC, UAA) and regions getting in.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I think they would be considered; that was not my argument for why they won't get two in.  I think parity will kill them this year.  They may legitimately have five teams with nearly identical regional records. Each of these teams will have won and lost against the others and it will be nearly impossible to pick a favorite out of that group.  I think the fact that there are so many strong teams without a dominant squad that will be tougher to make a case for one of the teams that doesn't win the tournament.

TheFence

If a weaker conference (lets say CCC) has an upset in the conference tourney will they get two bids? I hope that's not the case.  For example lets say someone comes out of nowhere to win the CCC this year.  Does that mean that Gordon or even Endicott will get in as well and in the process take a spot away from a solid team from the CCIW, UAA, WIAC.  Will the commitee do such a thing?  Is there a history of that? 

Not that the committe reads these boards but here's some evidence to avoid this: Emory U 1-6 and last place in the UAA beats Gordon College 9-1 and tied for 1st in the CCC.

My guess is that if a did some more home work we'd see much more of this as well.

Some conferences should get 1 bid no matter what.  Please tell me that is the case.