MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaboNation

Maybe I should have gone to law school.  Or is there a degree in forensic analytics?

I'm trying to figure out how Babson got the #4, ahead of WPI at #5. 

All the NEWMAC had to say in their press release was "In order to determine the final three seeds, NEWMAC tie-breaking procedures were applied where Springfield (11-14, 8-6) emerged as the No. 3 seed followed by No. 4 Babson (15-10, 8-6) and No. 5 WPI (17-8, 8-6)."

It seems the tiebreaker between these 2 schools would have reached the "non-conference common opponents" step, where I think only Tufts came into play.  Both teams beat Tufts.

So ... did it come down to a coin flip?  I hope not.

BaboNation

Meanwhile,  I'm really disappointed in my Beavers.  At this point I consider them lucky to still have basketball ahead of them, with a home game to boot.

Conference play started out promising at 5-0, but something changed.  They adjusted their style and personnel when Jaworski went down and had some success (notably the win at Amherst).  But to these eyes that style was not best-suited for the long haul.

Too often the open 3-point shooter would take that shot regardless of whether they were effective at that range.  I don't want to single out any players because, after all, these are young men playing a game they love.  And I have no idea whether coach Brennan's instructions are being followed.  I'd just feel better if they flowed most of their offensive possessions through Oftring and Jaworski as the first option.

BaboNation

Final thought:  Springfield sure got hot at the right time.  They absolutely had to win their final 4 games to even make the tournament and they did so, beating Wheaton, MIT, WPI, and Babson.  Now they could actually win the NEWMAC and the automatic D3 invitation with a losing record overall!

Smitty Oom

Quote from: BaboNation on February 17, 2019, 09:42:47 AM
Final thought:  Springfield sure got hot at the right time.  They absolutely had to win their final 4 games to even make the tournament and they did so, beating Wheaton, MIT, WPI, and Babson.  Now they could actually win the NEWMAC and the automatic D3 invitation with a losing record overall!

Should that happen, they will be one of the toughest '4th seeds' in the nation. They have the recipe of getting hot at the right time, star power and the experience of last years final four run.

It would also be fun to see their semi-final opponent, Emerson, get the NEWMAC AQ. O'Connor and Gray are quite the backcourt duo for the Lions. I have tuned into a couple of their games and they are a fun team to watch and a school that does not get into the NCAA very often. Although, I'm sure bubble teams would disagree with me and they would like to see MIT win the NEWMAC tourney.  :)

WPI89

Nice win for WPI tonight. Babo, were you there?  I did not get to see it. 20 each from Downing and Macnamara. 3rd shot at MIT on Saturday. Good luck boys!

AllStar

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Man, a Springfield conference tournament bid would create so many possibilities.  The NJAC already has a persecution complex, imagine a first round NJCU-Springfield matchup?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

BaboNation

Alas, my Beavers are done for the season.  I still don't know how they earned home court vs. WPI last night, but even that wasn't enough to withstand the visitors from Worcester.
It was a close game throughout, but frankly WPI just played better and earned the victory.  Too much McNamara, Downing, ugly turnovers, and dagger 3's.
Babson's best basketball was played from mid-December to mid-January.  Since then almost every game has been a heavy lift.  Oftring and Jaworski may have worn down when reliable subs were not to be found.

Maybe Neil Young was right and it's better to burn out than fade away.

If this were the NBA it would be easy to assess needs for next year and draft accordingly.  But it's not.

I'll still be rooting hard for all NEWMAC teams going forward.  If nothing else, hopefully the conference schedule and tournament battle-hardens the remaining teams for the road ahead.

Way too early forecast for 2019-2020 ...  WPI and Emerson will be the teams to beat.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

BaboNation

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 20, 2019, 03:37:38 PM
The third public NCAA Division III regional rankings are out: https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2019/02/men-regional-rankings-third

MIT goes 2-0 since the last rankings and drops from 2nd to 5th.  Yeah, that makes sense.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

There is more than that going on ... teams that were in Week 1 rankings or not in Week 2's, so their vRRO data changes. SOS numbers change. For all teams. Across the board. You can't look at any of these things in the vacuum of how one team did in one week. Committees start from scratch each week, not from where they sat the previous week.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

BaboNation

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 20, 2019, 04:08:02 PM
There is more than that going on ... teams that were in Week 1 rankings or not in Week 2's, so their vRRO data changes. SOS numbers change. For all teams. Across the board. You can't look at any of these things in the vacuum of how one team did in one week. Committees start from scratch each week, not from where they sat the previous week.

That's fine Dave, but I'm still flabbergasted.
The D3Hoops poll that came out this week (for games thru Sunday) had MIT 7th in the whole country.  Not a single team from New England was ranked ahead of them in that national poll.  Further, none of the 4 teams that are now ranked ahead of MIT regionally have actually, you know, played a game since Sunday.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: BaboNation on February 20, 2019, 04:57:29 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 20, 2019, 04:08:02 PM

That's fine Dave, but I'm still flabbergasted.
The D3Hoops poll that came out this week (for games thru Sunday) had MIT 7th in the whole country.  Not a single team from New England was ranked ahead of them in that national poll.  Further, none of the 4 teams that are now ranked ahead of MIT regionally have actually, you know, played a game since Sunday.

How national voters in a poll vote versus RACs and national committee for rankings are two very different conversations. Poll voters can use whatever metric, data, criteria, eye test, etc. they want to make their judgments. RACs and national committee have very specific data to use and when to use it. Comparing the two is pointless.

WPI89

WPI89

Big bubble burst. Sorry I am not sorry.