MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WPI89

Well any possible at-large mystery is now done. That end was a tough watch.

BaboNation

Final week of regular season coming up and it will be very interesting.  MIT will get the 1-seed, but who gets the 2 and 3 and thereby avoids the 4/5 first round game?

WPI has 2 tough games coming up.  The Emerson @ Babson game on Wednesday will tell a lot.  Babson could win out in 2 home contests and leapfrog from 4th to 2nd. 

Has Springfield finally found some footing?  Can they get the 5th seed, or will they miss the playoffs completely?

The winner of the 4/5 game then has the daunting prospect of facing MIT in the 2nd round.  Better to get the 2/3 game and hope MIT gets knocked out in the semis, or at least delay the meeting til the final.

I haven't seen the last 2 MIT games but I've noticed AJ Jurko missing both games again (injury?).  With Jurko and a complete, healthy team MIT will be a very tough opponent against any NEWMAC foe, or regional/national team for that matter.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

WPI89

Babo any clue on tiebreakers?  All 5 teams could be 2-6 at this point?

BaboNation

Quote from: WPI89 on February 14, 2019, 04:30:16 PM
Babo any clue on tiebreakers?  All 5 teams could be 2-6 at this point?

I think this link explains it.  If I even tried to cover all the possible scenarios I'd surely miss something (and my head would be throbbing).

Pages 23-25 cover tiebreakers.

https://d2o2figo6ddd0g.cloudfront.net/r/c/kdyrdbayjtygad/NEWMACHandbook11_3.pdf

BaboNation

The most interesting scenario for Saturday would be:

MIT over WPI
Springfield over Babson
Coast Guard over Emerson

In the above case, there is a 5-way tie that needs to be broken (all teams 8-6) between Emerson, WPI, Coast Guard, Babson, and Springfield.  Wow.

WPI89

Incredible. Somebody will be 2 seed and somebodies season will be over!  I gave 5 minutes of trying to figure it and can't. Many season splits as you would expect. Hope it doesn't come to a coin toss ending someone's season.

WPI89

I think Emerson and Springfield would be 2 and 3 seeds based on beating MIT? 

BaboNation

Coast Guard made it a little easier by losing to Emerson.  Emerson gets the 2-seed.
So, we ended up with a 3-way tie for seeds 3-5.

As I read the tiebreakers, WPI, Springfield, and Babson all finished 2-2 within games played against each other.  So, the next tiebreaker becomes how they did against the #1 seed.
Since only Springfield beat MIT it gets the 3-seed.
Babson and WPI get the 4-5 play-in game.  (I didn't bother to figure out who is 4 and who is 5).

amh63

The Nescac prior to their conference tournament went deep into tiebreaker criteria to seed and select matchups.
Six teams were within one game of each other.  Amherst in a lost to Hamilton...in a postponed game....in Clinton NY...went from the top seed to the third seed! 
Seems that this season has a number of conferences that have teams all bunched together.

rlk

One quirk of the NEWMAC men's tournament is that the fourth seed is guaranteed a home game against the fifth seed, in the "play-in", "wild card", "quarterfinal", or what have you.  However, the third seed is not; the only possibility for that team to get a home team is if they defeat the #2 seed and the #4 seed defeats #1.  That did actually happen in 2014, when Springfield was #3 and MIT was #4; both teams knocked off the higher seeds, and then MIT won the final.  However, the tournament format at that time was different; the #1 seed hosted all of the games except for the play-in.  That was also the year NEWMAC got 4 bids, and all four lost in the first round :-(

The women's tournament, with 7 teams, does not have that little foible.  Each of the top four seeds is guaranteed a home game; the first seed gets a bye into the semifinals while #2-4 play #7-5 respectively.  This also would not happen with 6 (or 8) teams in the tournament.
MIT Course VI-3 1987 -- #RollTech

WPI89

That's the way I see it Babo. I can't get into the d3 site. But earlier they had WPI AS the 3 seed?

WPI89

Nope. Just got on NEWMAC website. Weirdly thecstandings still list WPI 3. But they are the 5 seed and play at Babson in the play in game.

AllStar

BaboNation

Quote from: rlk on February 16, 2019, 07:55:50 PM
One quirk of the NEWMAC men's tournament is that the fourth seed is guaranteed a home game against the fifth seed, in the "play-in", "wild card", "quarterfinal", or what have you.  However, the third seed is not; the only possibility for that team to get a home team is if they defeat the #2 seed and the #4 seed defeats #1.  That did actually happen in 2014, when Springfield was #3 and MIT was #4; both teams knocked off the higher seeds, and then MIT won the final.  However, the tournament format at that time was different; the #1 seed hosted all of the games except for the play-in.  That was also the year NEWMAC got 4 bids, and all four lost in the first round :-(

The women's tournament, with 7 teams, does not have that little foible.  Each of the top four seeds is guaranteed a home game; the first seed gets a bye into the semifinals while #2-4 play #7-5 respectively.  This also would not happen with 6 (or 8) teams in the tournament.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
I prefer the way they have it now, where there is the best chance for a bigger crowd and a home team celebration.   If, for example, Coast Guard were the #1 seed, but knocked out in its first game, there'd likely be a smaller crowd for the remaining teams.  That's not a knock on CG or its venue, just the travel distance, and the lesser likelihood of drawing "locals".  And the celebration can sometimes be muted at a "neutral" venue.