FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B38W

Quote from: Ereraider on October 12, 2011, 07:24:02 AM
45-7 last year.  Is the berg really that much improved?
I think so, Otterbeins offense was better in my opinion but theirs is very good also. QB is only a freshman and they have some very solid recievers.

Raider 68

Quote from: Kehresma on October 11, 2011, 11:18:03 PM
Quote from: Raider 68 on October 11, 2011, 08:21:59 PM
The Mount/Heidelberg pits two teams that have a lot of offense, question is how will the defenses do? :-\

68, thanks for your consistent encouraging words and for seeding conversation on this year's rather quiet OAC board (which my smarter- than-I-phone changes to "ROACH board.")
Perhaps UMU (smart phone rendering: "Ukelele") hasn't faced an offense like the Berg's yet this season, but our defense has won our offense the ball back from the start, and scored several times themselves,  while the emerging offense took a little while to get it in gear. I look for both to keep on getting  better in response to a greater challenge from Heidelberg . Looking forward to a good game in Tiffin this Saturday.  Props everywhere. Wont name them all, cause I'd miss somebody. What about that rushing threat with 23, 24, 27, 28 and two rushing QBs? (Great to see some of St. Ed's star #10 coming on. )  Go purple! Good Luck, Berg.

Kehresma,

Thanks for the kind words. I think it will be another test for the Raiders away and it will give Coach Hallet a good understanding of how much his program has improved and what areas need to be bulilt to compete in the top tier of the OAC. IMHO, Heidelberg "may" have replaced a few other OAC schools that were contenders in prior years. While offense is great, a great defense is even better, the 'Berg does not have that as yet. :)
13 time Division III National Champions

JK

I said the Berg was going to finish second in the conference after they beat Cap...  are you all starting to take notice now?

Whichever team finishes second is going to have at least 2 conference losses.  Will that be good enough to make it in?

seventiesraider

Heidelberg will win out after the Mount game. I see a well fought game in Tiffin and The Berg staying within 21 or 28 at worst. That was reason enough for me to mention them after the Marietta rout
Same as it ever was...same as it ever was...same as it ever was...

Raider 68

Quote from: seventiesraider on October 12, 2011, 12:52:45 PM
Heidelberg will win out after the Mount game. I see a well fought game in Tiffin and The Berg staying within 21 or 28 at worst. That was reason enough for me to mention them after the Marietta rout

Agree, could be a 42-14 or 38-14 outcome. I do not see the Mount D giving up more than 2 td's if
that. I have not heard the weather forecast for Tiffin, but there is a good field to play on! :)

BaseballMom22

For those of you doubting Berg's defense, here are some stats taken from their website. Berg leads DIII with a +2.8 turnover margin. They have caused 22 turnovers so far this season, including 5 interceptions in each of the last 2 games. Four of the interceptions against Muskingum came in the 4th quarter to preserve the win. Granted, turnovers are only one part of the defense, but UMU will have to be very careful protecting the ball.

rscl70

Quote from: BaseballMom22 on October 12, 2011, 04:26:50 PM
For those of you doubting Berg's defense, here are some stats taken from their website. Berg leads DIII with a +2.8 turnover margin. They have caused 22 turnovers so far this season, including 5 interceptions in each of the last 2 games. Four of the interceptions against Muskingum came in the 4th quarter to preserve the win. Granted, turnovers are only one part of the defense, but UMU will have to be very careful protecting the ball.
Welcome!  +K for the post. :)
12-0 = 13

seventiesraider

The Berg is second only to Mount in Total Offense and Scoring offense in the OAC. They lead the OAC  in net punting, kickoff returns and the nation in turnover margin. It is also worth noting that Heidelberg has NOT yet played Wilmington or Marietta. These stats are against better competition.

Raider 68

True, but the "Berg has given up 18.6 pts per game and over 150 yards ave on the ground. While their defense has improved, the overall numbers do not indicate that the defense has matched up to the offense, IMHO. They will have a good season and that is no surprize, The weather forecast calls for a temperature on Saturday of 60, no sun, but windy 20-25 mph. We may see more running than normal! :)

seventiesraider

Agreed, the Berg run defense is not that impressive. With the nice field Murray could off to the races.

Toph

Folks, all I can say is thank God I'm not a Quaker. 

Good to see the Streaks win, but my...goodness.  I hope those kids to our southwest can at least start getting some small victories.  Can't be fun to get your teeth kicked in every single week.

Kehresma

Welcome, mom-with-research-stats. +k!

Kehresma

Quote from: Raider 68 link=topic=3841.msg1 We may see more running than normal! :)
/quote]

24, 23, 27, 28 go go go go go go go!

(And, yeah, I screwed up the quoting format...we'll see how it posts.)  ???

mr_mom

Quote from: seventiesraider on October 12, 2011, 05:27:03 PM
The Berg is second only to Mount in Total Offense and Scoring offense in the OAC. They lead the OAC  in net punting, kickoff returns and the nation in turnover margin. It is also worth noting that Heidelberg has NOT yet played Wilmington or Marietta. These stats are against better competition.
I had a tough time with this spread ... originally -30.5, then -27.5, and then -24.5 just as I was posting it. 

May have gone too far, as currently 7-3 for Mount.  We'll see how the late Pick-Em voters swing.
Never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity.

skunks_sidekick

WOW....WOW....WOW....

We have Seventies (who has a daughter attending there and is more focused on the 'Berg program), and we have the greatest "half glass full" man of our time Raider 68, who always gives the opposing team the geatest respect. 

The bottom line is......if the 'Berg scores three touchdowns in this game I will be surprised.  Not saying it couldn't happen, but it's not likely.  And the 'Berg's defense is suspect in any way you look at it.  Mount will score, and score consistently.

Any Mount fan that knows Mike Hallet considers him the consumate Mount alumnai.  He loves the school, LK, and all that is Mount football.  He comes back to play-off games, and always is  the consumate football player/head coach.  I state this to make clear that this is not about Mike's coaching talent, and more about Mount.