WBB: Middle Atlantic Conference board archive

Started by delvalfan, July 13, 2005, 06:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delvalfan

Will do Roy, but a bit of news in today's Morning Call, Northern Lehigh's Jackie Leslie will play at Wilkes this season - i'd like to wish Wilkes ALL the best in their opening games i believe with ALbright & Cabrini At the Scotty Wood Tourney at Muhlenberg.  GO Wilkes!!!

delvalfan

New Scranton lay-out - Very Cool http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

delvalfan

Good luck to Coach Reed moving from Wilkes to Susquehanna!

heatlee

Any thoughts on FDU making the move to the upper half of the standings.

Art Lopez

FDU ? How do they get over on Kings, U of S, and DeSales ? Although they have a nice team, I think it will be a real stretch for them to do any better than 4th in the Freedom Conference.

Pat Coleman

Fourth place is in the upper half, so that should make sense. http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

Roy Alexander

Heatlee/ If you mean can FDU stay in the upper half? I think they can. However, this may be the year that some team jumps up to number 3??I'll make my season predictions in about a month but let's take a peak. Forget my Lady Royals for a bit--no one will dethrone them this year. Kings--talented, particularly with Beth Jordan and Lauren Kendra, however, 3 months away from tipoff and no coach. Desales--they must replace 4 starters...DelVal gives it their all and perhaps they will have depth this year, Drew is heading in the right direction. Wilkes, 3 solid players in Demaranville, Bolin, and Kaprowicz--however, no coach. That leaves Lyco???  So this may be the year where a team can sneak into the top 3????  We'll see

Bob Ziadie

Roy,  

In all due respect, King's not having a coach three months from tip-off is not that THAT huge a factor in my humble opinion.  If it was October, that would be a much different story.

It is not like the new coach needs to recruit new players for this coming season. Plus with the NCAA not allowing individual workouts in D-III, there is not a whole lot a new coach can really do at this point with the exception of getting to know their players and discussing pre-season workouts which have to be conducted by the players themselves.

I know the players have been working out, lifting, and playing in summer leagues and they will come back to school as ready to play as they would have had Coach Whit still been here.

The same thing happened when J.P. was hired as King's men's coach. It was early in September, the roster was in place, and the players had already been working out. The team went 22-7 that year and set a program record for wins in a single season.

If the search for a head coach starts going into the latter part of September, which it should not, than whoever the new coach is will have time to come in and start establishing themselves with the program.

The fact that 11 players return will help because there is a lot of leadership and the players know how to prepare.  Coach Whit had a little saying that apeared on practice tee shirts that said:  "Tradition Never Graduates".

Knowing Coach Whit for as long and as well as I do, included among the many subtle messages in that saying is that preparation and hard work are part of being successful.  

Waiting for a new coach will not alter the preparation and hard work of the current players.  

The things that will affect the success or lack of success of the team will be what happens after the new coach comes on board

Roy Alexander

Bob--I don't recall saying that it is a huge issue. However,a Kings team with Coach Whit on board is better than a Kings team without him. Your last sentence is ironically the bottom line, the new coach!!! Will he be able to continue what the previous regime instituted? The talent is clearly there. Beth Jordan is a fantastic, Lauren Kendra has All-American potential, Vienna Spitler is a dandy and Jenna Palumbo is one of the best 3 pt shooters in the conference. My original premise in that post was that the door may be open for a team to jump into the number 3 spot this season, I do not see Kings falling from the 2 spot though. I think Desales loosing 4 starters is a bigger issue.

delvalfan

Bob, it's great that you know for sure that eleven players from last season's squad WILL be back - i always thought that there were no guarantees in D3.

Tim Flynn

Well what with all the coaching talk on here as of late, how about LVC gets into the mix - Crystal Gibson has been named assistant coach for women's basketball and track & field.

http://www.lvc.edu/athletics/newsFetch.aspx?id=1174&table=news_links" target=_top>http://www.lvc.edu/athletics/newsFetch.aspx?id=1174&table=news_links

Bob Ziadie

Kate:

True there are no guarantees, but in talking to several of the players who have been in continual contact with their teammates over the summer, all signs point to all the players coming back. Of course you never know for sure and you never know when an injury can come into play.

Roy, point taken about having a Coach Whit on board as opposed to not having him on board. I was just saying that the pieces are in place for the program to remain successful as far as player personnel is concerned. Any time a new coach is hired there are no guarantees but at least we have a great base of players back who have been there before and will help the new coach in the transition.

adkfan

OMG  this is probably the strangest site right now  Thinking there may be some kind of mis cue Taking my normal route in three clicks and "a left" I arrive at a blank screen so I backed up and found that all responses are now listed like threads on the 2nd click in.. searching thru I found familiar names like MAC etc.  will it always be like this??????? Please no stars they are bogus and patronizing just reassure me that this site is improving  http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>  Have a nice day
ADK   (don't want pat mad at me again)

adkfan

ok next day and the site is quite impressive   Good job D3
Any word on Kings' coaching position????
ADK

bziadie

ADK,

Yes, the word is that King's will name a coach sometime before the season starts. No confirmed date at this time.... ;)