MBB: New Jersey Athletic Conference

Started by njachoopsfan, March 16, 2005, 01:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knightstalker

Now for the really important news.  The Warren Hills Regional High School Lady Blue Streaks freshman basketball team won the Merchants Bank Holiday Girls Basketball tournament hosted by Bangor Area High School with a 35-32 win over host Bangor Lady Slaters in the opening round yesterday and with a 45-32 win over East Stroudsburg Area High School today.  The Stalkerette started in both games and played well in both games.  These girls have been playing together and against each other since 3rd and 4th grade and are really starting to mesh as a team.  They played both games with only 7 available players and their best player sidelined in the concussion protocol.  When she returns the Stalkerette will become the first player off the bench.  I am proud of these girls.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

If anyone cares... here is a nice highlight from the D3hoops.com Classic... Ramapo's Cory Soanes skies for the one-handed slam against Salisbury: https://youtu.be/O0fWYNOy58A
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

NJBALLERZ

Saw that dunk while live streaming the game.... I believe he is 6'0 and that is a generous measurement... wow, what a play!

P.S. HUGE HUGE HUGE WIN for the Ramapo Roadrunners... great win for the NJAC as a whole.

NJAC teams have been playing very well outside of the conference this year.. should be a year where finally they get multiple bids for the NCAA tournament.

Knightstalker

Getting multiple bids will rely on how much the top NJAC teams beat up on each other during the season and who wins the conference tournament.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

Knightstalker

NJCU defeats Gettysburg 61-57, they play Misericordia tomorrow in the tournament final.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: NJBALLERZ on December 29, 2016, 08:13:05 AM
Saw that dunk while live streaming the game.... I believe he is 6'0 and that is a generous measurement... wow, what a play!

I believe he is listed at 5-11, actually. He is also still recovering from a nasty case of pink eye which has been successfully treated but still has his face rather swollen and giving him vision problems out of one eye.

Quote from: Knightstalker on December 29, 2016, 01:55:23 PM
Getting multiple bids will rely on how much the top NJAC teams beat up on each other during the season and who wins the conference tournament.

If Ramapo and NJCU can split against each other and not let the conference beat them out (meaning 1 or 2 losses before the conference tournament), they could be in a really good shape for the NCAA tournament. However, if the NJAC eats themselves from within yet again, it will set-up a very nasty road for anyone who gets out of the conference.

Someone other than Stockton has to prove they can do something in the NCAA tournament. In the last 10-15(?) years, Stockton is the ONLY team to get out of the first round and they have done it exactly twice. The NJAC needs to prove just how good they are ... on a national stage. This just might be the year that could happen.

I liked what I saw from Ramapo. This might have been the best squad they have brought to Vegas in some time... if ever (including the year they were ranked when they arrived). I like what I see from NJCU as well. The key is, those teams can't drink the Kool-Aid. Too many times there are assumptions made that NJAC teams think they are better than they really are and I think they then approach games assuming they are just going to win. Be humble. Focus on each game. Don't take ANY team for granted. That will be a significant way for these two and maybe others to be successful this year.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Knightstalker

NJCU defeats Misericordia 87-72 holding another high scoring team to 20 points below their scoring average.  The Knights come out of the break 11-1.  They need to maintain this pace, they look really good this year.  Can't wait until the Ramapo games.

Knightstalker

Ramapo and NJCU enter the top 25 this week.  Ramapo at 19, the Gothic Knights at 23, showdown on the 14th.

NJBALLERZ

Was anyone at the NJCU-MSU game last night? Can't believe Jersey City lost.... only scored 14 points in the first half.. did Montclair play a zone? Or was NJCU just off? Wow.. big win for the Red Hawks..

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Watched a good chunk of the end... looks like NJCU was just off offensively. Very good on defense, but not clicking on offense. Almost seemed liked they just expected to win.

NJBALLERZ

The day the NJAC has been waiting for.. NJCU v #13 Ramapo

This game has all of a sudden turned into something much bigger for NJCU. After losing to Stockton and Montclair, this game becomes much more meaningful for NJCU. Look for them to bounce back and take care of business tonight at home against Ramapo. NJCU is very difficult to beat at their place. The physicality that gets played at their home games is unlike anything I've seen on the college basketball court, those kids defend as well as anyone in the country! Look for NJCU to slow the tempo down, handle Ramapo's pressure, keep the game low scoring and hand the Roadrunners their first loss of the year.

NJCU 78 Ramapo 71

Hope everyone enjoys the day of NJAC hoops!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: NJBALLERZ on January 14, 2017, 09:24:12 AM
The day the NJAC has been waiting for.. NJCU v #13 Ramapo

This game has all of a sudden turned into something much bigger for NJCU. After losing to Stockton and Montclair, this game becomes much more meaningful for NJCU. Look for them to bounce back and take care of business tonight at home against Ramapo. NJCU is very difficult to beat at their place. The physicality that gets played at their home games is unlike anything I've seen on the college basketball court, those kids defend as well as anyone in the country! Look for NJCU to slow the tempo down, handle Ramapo's pressure, keep the game low scoring and hand the Roadrunners their first loss of the year.

NJCU 78 Ramapo 71

Hope everyone enjoys the day of NJAC hoops!

Are they still missing those injured players?  I don't see them having much of any chance if they're not pretty close to full strength.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

NJBALLERZ

Good point, not sure.. I knew about the Kevin Brown injury.. was unaware that Wosu did not play against Stockton. That is a huge loss for them. I hope they can get healthy again ASAP.

Knightstalker

Wosu played today and the Knights beat Ramapo in OT 76-71, followed the game on live stats, what an even matchup.  Looks like I missed a great game because I decided to go bow hunting this afternoon.  I agree with NJBallerz, when I saw the Knights play Albertus Mangus they just smothered them with tight physical defense.  They were frustrated all afternoon that day.

irapthor

I haven't responded to the boards in a long, long time...I've been busy LOL!

I'll be on Hoopsville tomorrow night to give an Atlantic Region update...

To answer the health question, we were without Kevin Brown again tonight. He got hurt against Montclair so this was his third straight game out but he will be back against Rutgers-Newark next week.

Chinwe Wosu was sick on Wednesday...flu has been going around the team...he didn't even make the trip on Wednesday...he was THAT sick...Fortunately, his mom is a nurse and that's better than even chicken soup.

Ata Robinson played in the Stockton game injured but was not as effective as usual. Ice baths in the trainer's office the last two days certainly worked because he looked really good tonight, especially late. But he missed half the game after taking an inadvertent elbow that opened up a noticeable cut above his eye. You can see the bandage job on the post-game interview on our Facebook page.

Marc Brown interview at: https://www.facebook.com/NJCUGothicKnights/videos/10154507276484915/

Interview with Ata Robinson, Jalen Harris and Chinwe Wosu after the win over Ramapo: https://www.facebook.com/NJCUGothicKnights/videos/10154507238819915/
Ira Thor
Award-winning former 20-year SID and Assistant AD at New Jersey City University. Current Chief Communications Officer. NY/NJ and national professional and collegiate PA announcer, PBP announcer and commentator. D3hoops.com Top voter since 2002......Howell Township (NJ) Board of Education...Husband/father of 3. Hasbeen soccer goalkeeper.