FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TitanBacker

To put this point scandal in a modern tense, Rockford College beat Principia College last year 82-12.  I'm pretty sure Rockford College beat a team within the last 4 years by scoring over 100 points.  I could be wrong because I could not find evidence to back it up.  Maybe someone else will do the legwork for me.  ;)

To a point i understand running up the score to solidify a ranking, but isn't 50 points enough?  Then you can get your second stringers in and give them a chance to play and gain expeience for the future.  Just a thought.
"We are ready to fight for the green and the white of dear old Wesleyan,
For her honor and fame and her glorious name we will stand every loyal fan."

Mugsy

Quote from: TitanBacker on October 12, 2006, 05:37:56 PM
I'm pretty sure Rockford College beat a team within the last 4 years by scoring over 100 points.  I could be wrong because I could not find evidence to back it up.  Maybe someone else will do the legwork for me.  ;)

Rockford College beat Trinity Bible 105-0 in 2003.

http://www.d3football.com/story.php?story=2030
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

TitanBacker

Quote from: Mugsy on October 12, 2006, 05:42:27 PM
Quote from: TitanBacker on October 12, 2006, 05:37:56 PM
I'm pretty sure Rockford College beat a team within the last 4 years by scoring over 100 points.  I could be wrong because I could not find evidence to back it up.  Maybe someone else will do the legwork for me.  ;)

Rockford College beat Trinity Bible 105-0 in 2003.

http://www.d3football.com/story.php?story=2030

Thanks Mugsy.  I knew it happened because I was recruited by Rockford College to be a starting linebacker and a captain my frosh year.  That recruiting technique told me they weren't a top tier team like i was looking for.  So it happens in a modern context too.  I believe this big win was more to get Rockford College noticed as a school and as a beginning football program.  Again, please correct me if i'm wrong.

It also seems that Trinity Bible got beat pretty badly by everyone it played that year.  :o
"We are ready to fight for the green and the white of dear old Wesleyan,
For her honor and fame and her glorious name we will stand every loyal fan."

Mugsy

Quote from: TitanBacker on October 12, 2006, 05:46:35 PM
It also seems that Trinity Bible got beat pretty badly by everyone it played that year.  :o

Hmm... you think?   :P

Date Opponent Time 
Sept. 6 at Rockford  L 105-0     
Sept. 20 Westminster (Mo.)  L 62-6     
Oct. 4 at Maranatha Baptist  L 52-0     
Oct. 18 Minnesota-Morris  L 77-6     
Oct. 25 at Martin Luther  L 63-0 

That is an average of 71.8 to 2.4!  An average loss of essentially 70 points.  Unreal.

What's even worse... look who they lost too.  Not exactly a powerhouse schedule.  Almost everyone of those opponents was incredibly weak.  I don't know where to begin with all-time worst collegiate football seasons, but the 2003 Trinity Bible team has to be right up there.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

usee

Quote from: Red on October 12, 2006, 05:32:10 PM
In all honesty, who really cares about a game played almost 40 years ago.  Lets drop it and talk about the present.
  How good is the Wheaton defensive end opposite Studebaker?  Reading and attacking a defensive end is pivotal for an option offense like Augie's.  Obviously Studebaker's ability at one side should result in the opposite side having a busy day.  Any comments on Wheaton's run defense overall?

Hey Red,

welcome aboard. bad news for Studebaker haters/Augie lovers. he switches sides so the "other side" only exists if you happen to run away from him. He is going to be a factor. but the Thunder have a few other playmakers on defense too. Ittersagen and Toal are forces to be reckoned with.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 12, 2006, 03:54:07 PM
Quote from: CardinalAlum on October 12, 2006, 03:25:33 PMI have to admit that I have always had a real problem with this score too!  Was NCC terrible?  I think the answer is obvious. For NP to put up those kinds of numbers was no doubt unsportsmanlike and classless.  The game was out of hand very early and the whole team, trainers included, should have gotten into that game.

Dennis has already said that North Park dressed only 35 players that day. And, knowing North Park, some of those 35 were probably fairly useless warm-body-in-a-uniform types. Think about it: If you're constantly running up and down the field because every other play is an 80-yard touchdown -- and in addition you have five touchdowns called back because of penalties in the third quarter alone -- are you going to have enough wind to play out the remainder of the game if you're a Vikings reserve? Heck, just running up and down the field on every kickoff after a touchdown was probably enough to wear out the NPC second-stringers.

Then again, perhaps the Vikings were guilty of poor sportsmanship. The final score certainly makes it a plausible accusation. Thing is, you don't know for sure one way or the other, I don't know for sure one way or the other, and midwestfb doesn't know for sure one way or the other. Heck, I doubt that anyone still affiliated with NPU, or with any other CCIW school for that matter, knows for sure. Nineteen sixty-eight was a long, long time ago. Dennis knows, though, because he was actually there that day. I suggest that we take his word for it as to whether or not the Park was deliberately running up the score. Anyone who knows Dennis knows that he is the farthest thing in the world from an NPU yes-man.

Hey, Greg, couldn't you stop with ONE long - I was a junior at IWU in the fall of '68! ;)

Yes, I have vivid recollection of the Martin Luther King, Jr., and Bobby Kennedy assassinations (not to mention the JFK assassination, which I heard about during Biology class as a sophomore at Richwoods H. S.), but contrary to some accusations (mainly by my kids!) I do NOT personally recall Lincoln's assassination! ;D

Sterny

Quote from: 79jaybird on October 12, 2006, 03:39:29 PM
GoThunder-- You are correct.  The most skilled linemen at any level are students first-- learning proper techniques.  We called it "Pass Rush Progression"  and was one of the first drills of practice each day.  This is so, because there are times to use the swim, rip, spin moves etc.

Ah, pass rushing.  There are just so many options and the true art is keeping the silly offensive lineman constantly guessing.  A truly effective way to start things out with a team that passes alot is just to bull rush the first time or two.  Just flat out beat the guy in front of you.  Real bad too so he knows he's beat.  Like in the QBs lap bad.  Then the fun begins.  Swim moves, rip moves (oops, sometimes the fist ends up in the tummy . . . don't worry, the o linemen do it all the time too!), hammer throws, spin moves (not one of my favorites because your backs turned that split second) and the often neglected but always popular "head butt and run".  Then of course there's modifications to all the above, like the hammer throw that "accidentally" turns into a forearm to the helmet.  If you start with the bull rush and keep the lineman on his heels, all the rest is just so much more effective.  And of course, all this is moot when playing a team like Augie.  You'd better get ready to get hit in the face that week and get ready to read the block and give it back too cause you ain't spending too much time in the backfield that week. 
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam!

Sterny

I am obviously not very skilled at this quoting thing.  The first paragraph is 79 Jaybirds excellent quote.  The other paragraph is my nonsense!
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam!

ncc_cardinal_fan

I can almost guarantee that "studemugsy" aka studebaker, because mugsy and studebaker are now a duo will have no affect if augie runs the ball, which they always do. I don't believe that "Studemugsy" will have any affect unless Augie decides to pass the ball then he might pick up a sack possibly. Thats only if his "boy toy" mugsy is at the game to give him a hug after he gets that sack on the sidelines.

ncc_cardinal_fan

Proof is in the Pudding:

GP   solo   ass.   tot    sacks
*90 Studebaker, An.        5     14      2       16  11.5-99

16 total tackles 11.5 sacks, what the heck? Do they take him out on running plays

*from wheatons web-site

Good luck against a running team "Studemugsy"

Mugsy

Quote from: ncc_cardinal_fan on October 12, 2006, 10:35:01 PM
I can almost guarantee that "studemugsy" aka studebaker, because mugsy and studebaker are now a duo will have no affect if augie runs the ball, which they always do. I don't believe that "Studemugsy" will have any affect unless Augie decides to pass the ball then he might pick up a sack possibly. Thats only if his "boy toy" mugsy is at the game to give him a hug after he gets that sack on the sidelines.

Don't underestimate Andy Studebaker's ability to stop the run.  He has shown himself to be very disciplined at doing his job.  He isn't just a pass rushing freak who neglects run responsibilities.  Coach Peltz, Coach Sandberg and Coach Swider wouldn't put up with that and yes... you'd only see him in on "passing downs" if that were the case.

I wouldn't expect to see high tackle counts for defensive linemen, particularly defensive ends.  You should see high sacks and more importantly high tackles for loss (which Studebacker has).

"studemugsy"?  I'm not the only one talking him up and I no longer need too.  I could list off at least 10 people who have  posted how impressed they were with his ability.  His performance speaks for itself.  After 5 weeks, I no longer need to tell everyone about his ability.  There are 5 teams that know all about it.

Mugsy

Quote from: Red on October 12, 2006, 05:32:10 PM
How good is the Wheaton defensive end opposite Studebaker?  Reading and attacking a defensive end is pivotal for an option offense like Augie's.  Obviously Studebaker's ability at one side should result in the opposite side having a busy day.  Any comments on Wheaton's run defense overall?

Red,

I need to exercise caution here, as I've posted in years past (last year) a level of confidence in Wheaton's ability to slow Augie's rushing game, only to be proven wrong by Augie's performance.  That said... I will say this years defense is probably the most physically gifted in recent memory.  They are big, yet very quick and athletic.  The d-line has at least 6 guys who substitute in regularly, so chances are teams won't wear the d-line down. 

As to your question, the other DE for Wheaton is no slouch.  It is either Trey Andrew (a 5th year senior and I believe captain in 2005 before season ending injury), or Ben Kuenzle.  They should hold up quite well if teams decide to go away from Studebaker.

2 of 3 linebackers are big and agile and the secondary has 4 guys who play that are over 6 foot and 200lbs.  The other secondary starter is the smallest, yet is unquestionably the best player of the group - Pete Ittersagen.

Guys who either start or see significant time:

DT - Dan Studebaker: 6'2" 300lbs, Sr.
DT/DE - Dan Hahn: 6'2" 255lbs, Sr.
DE - Ben Kuenzle: 6'5" 243lbs, So.
DE - Andy Studebaker: 6'5" 249lbs, Jr.
DT - Javier Almanza: 6'3" 273lbs, Jr.
DE - Trey Andrew: 6'4" 245lbs, Sr.

OLB - Jonathan Toal: 6'2" 228lbs, Sr.
OLB - Mike McKinney: 5'9" 200lbs, Sr.
MLB - Steve Pagh: 6'3" 224lbs, So.  (lots of potential to be a great one)
OLB - Jesse Laizure: 6'1" 215lbs, Jr.

DB - Pete Ittersagen: 5'11" 189lbs, So. (1st All CCIW as a freshman)
DB - Tim March: 5'11" 186lbs, Sr.
S - Kirk McKenney: 6'0" 200lbs, Jr.
DB - David Tokar: 6'3" 205lbs, Jr.
DB - Shane Woodard: 6'0" 200lbs, So.
S - Mark Steinbrueck: 6'0" 205lbs, Sr.

Granted Wheaton has only faced one team so far with a significant ability to run the ball - NCC at 173 yards per game.  But Wheaton is only allowing 63 yards rushing per game.

It should be a really interesting match up and I'm eager to see how Wheaton handles the challenge presented by Augustana.

ncc_cardinal_fan

Quote from: Mugsy on October 13, 2006, 12:01:26 AM
Quote from: ncc_cardinal_fan on October 12, 2006, 10:35:01 PM

Don't underestimate Andy Studebaker's ability to stop the run.  He has shown himself to be very disciplined at doing his job.  He isn't just a pass rushing freak who neglects run responsibilities.  Coach Peltz, Coach Sandberg and Coach Swider wouldn't put up with that and yes... you'd only see him in on "passing downs" if that were the case.

I wouldn't expect to see high tackle counts for defensive linemen, particularly defensive ends.  You should see high sacks and more importantly high tackles for loss (which Studebacker has).

"studemugsy"?  I'm not the only one talking him up and I no longer need too.  I could list off at least 10 people who have  posted how impressed they were with his ability.  His performance speaks for itself.  After 5 weeks, I no longer need to tell everyone about his ability.  There are 5 teams that know all about it.

I could understand not having high tackle counts but only have 4.5 total tackles including 2 assists in that 4.5 total tackles is not very impressive against the run. So, in 5 games that he has played he has a WHOPPING 2.5 total solo tackles. Not very impressive to me mugsy. If my math is right that is .5 tackles per game excluding the 11.5 sacks, which is impressive against passing teams.

And yes, You were the only one talking him up until everyone joined the bandwagon because of his sacks. Bottom line .5 tackles a game or 16 tackles total in 5 games, not that impressive against the run.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: matblake on October 12, 2006, 04:57:21 PMBut by and large, if that game in 1968 was North Park's glory moment in football, let them have it and realize that 38 years later it is really only a score at this point, especially for 34 years or so worth of players and alumni. 

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it a "glory moment". The vast majority of people at NPU, football players included, aren't even aware of that 38-year-old game, or of the fact that North Park still holds some NCAA records set in that game. Only the alumni from the Prikkel era, and a few (relatively) younger people like me who have a keen sense of the school's history, know that that record-setting romp over North Central ever took place. If 1968 is remembered for anything regarding football at NPU, it's remembered as the only year in school history that the Vikings have had a winning season since the Park became a four-year institution in the late 1950s.

The five national championships in basketball ... now, that's another story. Not only are the banners and the trophies still present on the NPU campus for everyone to see, but those seasons themselves are still a part of school folklore. Those were true "glory moments", as opposed to a single day's scoreboard fluke.

(The truly weird thing about that 1968 rout was that it didn't involve either the best or the worst team in the league. NPC finished 5-2 in the CCIW that season, tied with Illinois Wesleyan for second behind 6-1 Augustana; NCC finished 1-6, a game ahead of winless Elmhurst.)

Chuck, is it true that when you were at Illinois Wesleyan mammoth hunting was a PE elective?  :D
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

ncc58

Quote from: Go Thunder on October 13, 2006, 07:40:44 AM
"And yes, You were the only one talking him up until everyone joined the bandwagon because of his sacks. Bottom line .5 tackles a game or 16 tackles total in 5 games, not that impressive against the run."

The fact is that d3 and NCAA recognized him in the preseason. I was one of the first from Wheaton to talk about him after the Albion game.  I have video of the Albion and NCC games.  They were not running at him.   Andy Studebaker made vital plays in the NCC game that helped change the momentum around.  I'm a former O+D lineman who loves the strategy of line play.  He is the real deal!  I hope teams try to run on him because it will be a long day for them.

If you seriously follow CCIW football, you knew who Andy Studebaker was before the first game of the year. A lot of people starting talking about because of his sack totals. He can go out and have 0 tackles and 0 sacks, but you know that team's gameplans take into account where he is and who is blocking him.

I'd run right at him. Of course, I would doubleteam Studebaker at the point of attack. I really don't want him chasing down plays from the backside and getting solid hits on my running backs.