MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaroonKnighty

Great game played tonight at Van Noord.  Of course I'm more excited because Calvin won but all in all, it was a great game.  GO KNIGHTS!
Cool to see ESPN at the game.

GoKnights68

Nice win for Calvin.  Was disappointed to see all those empty seats at Van Noord, though, for a scheduled Calvin-Hope game.

Winifred Durfee

Fun game of basketball tonight at VanNoord. I don't think Hope ever led, but they were just about always right in it. Neither team was firing on all cylinders offensively. Once Devries singlehandedly gave Calvin a lead in the first half, both teams traded buckets for most of the game, with Hope never able to go on a run of more than just a couple buckets in a row. Hence, Calvin held a slim lead the whole game. Riley Lewis made a superhuman 3 to cut it to 1 point with 10 seconds to go, but Calvin made their free throws and Hope didn't have a miracle in store.

Lewis led the way for Hope with 20. He didn't get involved offensively until the 2nd half. He can make shots that you get upset with him for taking until they go in. He probably needs to take more of those. Average night for Jason- took a lot of shots, made some. He had 17. Granger played tough, but was in foul trouble. He had a solid game.

Devries was incredible in the first half. Did he have 21 at half? I know it was at least 18. He finished with 29 to lead all scorers. Freshman Jake Honer did a solid job coming in to defend Devries considering what the bulky wing was able to do for Calvin before he came in. With Calvin's size advantage I thought they would win the game in the paint with Bykerk and some help from Walter, but it was mostly Devries, their leading scorer.

Had Hope won, the hero of the game would have been Dennis Towns. I haven't looked at any game stats but I'm sure he was well into double-double territory. I know he had the points, but it felt like he pulled down at least 15 rebounds, along with rattling Calvin's Bos and Bykerk. He was feeling some major swagger tonight and let those guys know about it. He stepped up big where Hope needed it in the paint, otherwise this game could have been over quickly.

Should be another good one at Devos next time. Let's Go Hope!

sac

Calvin 74 Hope 70  F

An excellent game overall.  I look forward to the rematch, hopefully its as well played.

My kingdom for a 6-5 or taller fwd who's a 3-point threat.

sac

Another fun night around the league, that's three straight game days with at least one game decided in the final 10 seconds, 4 overall and Albion has won two of them.

Albion 75  Alma 73
Trine 83  Adrian 56
Olivet 74  Kzoo 49

I think we're all sort of in agreement that Kzoo and Adrian probably aren't going to challenge for the title.  Among the other 6, three now have home losses  Alma, Calvin and Trine. 

Albion and Olivet now have 3 straight home games.

KnightSlappy

Quote from: Winifred Durfee on January 09, 2019, 11:21:12 PM
Had Hope won, the hero of the game would have been Dennis Towns. I haven't looked at any game stats but I'm sure he was well into double-double territory. I know he had the points, but it felt like he pulled down at least 15 rebounds, along with rattling Calvin's Bos and Bykerk. He was feeling some major swagger tonight and let those guys know about it. He stepped up big where Hope needed it in the paint, otherwise this game could have been over quickly.

I was thinking the same thing near the end of the game. Mr. Banks has been a pest for Calvin in these rivalry games. I'm surprised to see he only scored 6 points in the first half because it seemed like he was knocking down a mid-range jumper every other time down the floor. He ended the game with 12 points and collected 10 of Hope's 26 rebounds on the night. He was also very active in disrupting Calvin's passing lanes and ended up with 4 steals.

Goknights2017

Calvin 74 Hope 70.

Entertaining game at Van Noord Arena yesterday. Derrick DeVries had a great game finishing with 29 pts while going 63% from the field. Only one other Calvin player broke into double figures. Calvin out rebounded Hope by 15 but committed 17 turnovers. I actually feel that Hope left one on the table tonight. Calvin was not able to shut down any of the big three for Hope, and Denis Townes made life difficult for the Calvin bigs while putting up 12 points. DeVries big game was certainly the difference. Hope had two big opportunities late but was unable to get a rebound. While only down 2, DeVries had a huge rebound and put-back (he was lying on his back win the shot went up but fought hard for the rebound). Hope also couldn't secure the rebound on CAG missed free throw, even though Muelenburg was the only knight in the lane.

Calvin will need to find a secondary scorer for the rematch. Hopefully a combination Bykerk, Shymanski, DeWitt, Muelenburg and Walter can be a bigger offensive threat next time. I would love to see Bykerk be more aggressive at the offensive end. If Hope is going to double DeVries everytime he gets the ball, Calvin has to be able to find the open guy. They didn't last night. Sac is 100% correct about a 3pt threat forward for Hope. It would open the lane up nicely for Beckman and Lewis. Can't wait for the rematch, should be a fun one.

sac

Quote from: sflzman on January 09, 2019, 09:18:47 PM
Quote from: sflzman on January 09, 2019, 08:08:00 PM
Quick halftime thought from Alma:

The Scots are a completely different team with Kevin Gamble on/off the court. He's been in foul trouble all night (has three right now). The lack of depth at the 5 position scares me.

Also, I don't know which of the twins it is officiating here tonight, but whichever one it is really fancies his whistle tonight while the other two seem to be rather non-existent.

Funny how basketball works. After climbing back from being down as many as 7 in the second, the Scots fall on a put back tip in at the buzzer.

Alma had the ball with around 50 seconds left. Got what they wanted. Gamble isolated down low with an obvious mismatch. IMO he was blatantly held. Instead of the post entry Stevens turns the ball over. Albion comes down. Calls timeout with 11.8 seconds left. High iso was pretty well defended and the runner lipped out. Nobody in White rebounded, however, and Albion was able to get the crucial last touch to put the ball in the net.

Would really like to see the +/- with/without Gamble on the court. I'd be willing to bet that it is in the double digits. He just makes such a difference. When Alma's starting five is out there you constantly are worrying about all five players on the offensive end. Maki and Hudson as guards off the bench can make some noise offensively. But at the 5, Rake just doesn't really threaten you at all.

Weird to say this, but with how the MIAA usually ends up, Saturday's game almost feels must-win. This certainly is looking to be that it could again be "that year" that we end up with a 4 or 5 loss MIAA champion.

If you could let someone at Alma know they have poor audio on their video feed that would be awesome.  Sounds like a microphone problem with the announcers.

sac

Would really like to see the +/- with/without Gamble on the court. I'd be willing to bet that it is in the double digits. He just makes such a difference. When Alma's starting five is out there you constantly are worrying about all five players on the offensive end. Maki and Hudson as guards off the bench can make some noise offensively. But at the 5, Rake just doesn't really threaten you at all.

I counted 40 to 30 or +10

sflzman

Quote from: sac on January 10, 2019, 02:59:49 PM
Quote from: sflzman on January 09, 2019, 08:08:00 PM
Quick halftime thought from Alma:

The Scots are a completely different team with Kevin Gamble on/off the court. He's been in foul trouble all night (has three right now). The lack of depth at the 5 position scares me.

Also, I don't know which of the twins it is officiating here tonight, but whichever one it is really fancies his whistle tonight while the other two seem to be rather non-existent.

Funny how basketball works. After climbing back from being down as many as 7 in the second, the Scots fall on a put back tip in at the buzzer.

Alma had the ball with around 50 seconds left. Got what they wanted. Gamble isolated down low with an obvious mismatch. IMO he was blatantly held. Instead of the post entry Stevens turns the ball over. Albion comes down. Calls timeout with 11.8 seconds left. High iso was pretty well defended and the runner lipped out. Nobody in White rebounded, however, and Albion was able to get the crucial last touch to put the ball in the net.

Weird to say this, but with how the MIAA usually ends up, Saturday's game almost feels must-win. This certainly is looking to be that it could again be "that year" that we end up with a 4 or 5 loss MIAA champion.

If you could let someone at Alma know they have poor audio on their video feed that would be awesome.  Sounds like a microphone problem with the announcers.

It happens whenever they bring in the radio station (can't remember what it is, has like a 5 mile radius in gratiot county - not exaggerating). It's horrible. When they do everything in house their production is usually pretty good.
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

MaroonKnighty

Pathetic start for the Knights today.  Good win by Trine.

pointlem

Quote from: MaroonKnighty on January 12, 2019, 04:51:51 PM
DeVries was 2 out of 14 for 5 points . . . after what he did to Hope? What a difference a game makes . . . unpredictability that keeps sport exciting.

TUAngola

Quote from: pointlem on January 12, 2019, 05:26:44 PM
Quote from: MaroonKnighty on January 12, 2019, 04:51:51 PM
DeVries was 2 out of 14 for 5 points . . . after what he did to Hope? What a difference a game makes . . . unpredictability that keeps sport exciting.
Tale of 2 halves.  Trine with a near flawless first.  Calvin with a really good second, but just ran out of time.  DeVries was really bothered by the length of Copeland on D, most of his 10 misses in the 1st half were forced shots.  He sat the start of the second as Calvin started out with a different lineup, which worked well for them.  Smith carried us in the 1st, Johnson in the 2nd.  Good game from Cummings too, you never know what you're going to get with him.  If Trine would learn to box out on rebounds when the ball is shot, the game wouldn't have been as close.  Calvin with a ton of second chance attempts/points.  Was impressed with Meulenberg today.  He had a great second half.  Scary moment in the 2nd half on a steal at midcourt and layup attempt by Meulenberg as Smith chased him down and put a hard foul on him from behind.  This definitely got Meulenberg and Calvin fired up.  They had the lead down to 6 or 7 at one point, but Johnson hit some huge shots, and even freshman Bowman hit a big 3.  Then we hit enough free throws to keep the Knights from getting any closer.   

Jameswys

Olivet 84 Alma 80

It was a wild one at Cutler tonight! Olivet led from somewhere around 17 minutes to go in the first. They were up as many as 21 in the first half but had to hit 2 free throws in the final 20 seconds to lock up a win. I think the biggest difference in this game was Tracy Edmond. When Olivet dominated the first half Tracy had 9 points and 9 assists. He had 1 assist in the second, and the offense looked very different. After a big night in Kalamazoo, where he found good offense under the basket, John McAdoo went 1-1 hitting an early three then passing the ball every time after that. He even was open under the hoop and dumped outside to Manuel, who missed the 3.

Olivet managed to pick up 3 technical fouls tonight, many of you will be surprised Coach Ernst did not get one. The first two were acquired by Edmond and Dee Roberts. I guess they said something the officials didn't like because they were total non contact calls before Alma even set their offense. Colin Jones picked up a well deserved tech. Alma fouled Manuel hard from behind, and as the Alma player went to help Trevor up Colin took exception and pushed him. From where I sat it was uncalled for but so was the foul that put Manuel to the ground.

Jones was impactful on defense once again. He didn't draw a charge tonight but teams clearly have to find another way to score when Colin is underneath. You can tell Alma was well coached on Jones' ability to draw the charge and the players avoided him, taking lower percentage shots instead.

I thought that the officiating wasn't terrible tonight, but it still wasn't good. In the first half they seemed to allow a more open game but randomly tightened up in the second. The foul stats don't show this but there were a lot of calls in the second that weren't called in the first, I just think the players committed more 'no doubters' in the first half. 
Olivet '05

Jameswys

I've now seen 4 MIAA teams play in person and a fifth on tv. I think that there are 6 teams that can compete for an MIAA title or tournament championship. Trine and Olivet both look good. Alma won't go away at the end of a game, and that's a dangerous trait if they can make the tournament. Albion is currently leading the MIAA so obviously they are a threat, but they haven't been tested on the road yet. I can't count out Calvin and Hope just because of their history. We have some exciting basketball on the horizon.
Olivet '05