MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Mardukas

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on April 26, 2017, 12:21:31 PM
     Corp. Back at it again.  I would like to make my second comparison of a "Cent" team to an NBA roster.  I would also like to extend the offer to the rest of you fellow bloggers that if you believe my comparison is off in any way then to make one of your own. 

Team:  Dips out of Lancaster PA.

NBA comparison: 1990- 1991 Golden State Warriors

Matthew Tate- Tim Hardaway-  Good point guard who can score it, but is also willing to get in there and mix it up defensively.  Physical guard who can pressure full court and make his matchup uncomfortable.

Brandon Federici- Chris Mullin-  Fantastic talent and a really good scorer.  Obviously not a lefty but the high volume scoring and elite shooting fits for Federici.  Not to mention the volume of steals that Federici had nearly mirrors the 2.1 that Mullin had in the 90-91 season.  Underrated defensively and I believe @CentCraze88 was right when he named Brandon DPOY. 

Hunter Eggers-Mitch Richmond-  Another talented shooting/scoring wing who thrives in a run and gun style game where a high volume of shots are being hoisted.  Solid defensively and sneaky athletic.  Always got to remember where you came from right?  Well Hunter is a transfer from D1 Rice.  Surprised the F&M program didn't make the jump to the Big Ten when Hunter transferred similarly to what will happen when John Hopkins lands JVG @HopkinsNest7.......

Ignas Slyka- Tom Tolbert-  Not a household name by any means but sure can hold his own.  Streaky 3 point shooter and willing to mix it up on the boards. Knows the engine of the team is the 3 guards and does a good job of playing role.

Lionel Owona- Alton Lister- Post player.  Not a guy you are going to run an offense through but he is a big body who will get enough rebounds and will defend enough for the team to be successful. 

Dips are run by their 1 through 3.  Tate, Federici, and Eggers carry a workload offensively similarly to the Warriors RUN T.M.C (Hardaway, Mullin, Richmond).  A nice little retro hip hop reference never hurt anybody right?  With the 3 guards running the show they can get up and down fast and score a lot of points in the Dip Zone. 

Corp. Out.

Corp-
First off I want to thank you for your service, we as a country are forever in debt to you. Having said that Hank approves what you posted above but I have one disagreement. Brandon Federici is like a 1991 Christian Laettner. He is equally feared and hated in the Cent and opposing fans love to "chirp" at him on the court and on social media. The rest of your picks are spot on and a precisely accurate. Welcome to the Blog and hope to read more of your posts in the future.

Sincerely your new friend,

Hank Mardukas
And on the eighth day, God created the Centennial Conference

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Hank Mardukas on April 26, 2017, 01:40:49 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on April 26, 2017, 12:21:31 PM
     Corp. Back at it again.  I would like to make my second comparison of a "Cent" team to an NBA roster.  I would also like to extend the offer to the rest of you fellow bloggers that if you believe my comparison is off in any way then to make one of your own. 

Team:  Dips out of Lancaster PA.

NBA comparison: 1990- 1991 Golden State Warriors

Matthew Tate- Tim Hardaway-  Good point guard who can score it, but is also willing to get in there and mix it up defensively.  Physical guard who can pressure full court and make his matchup uncomfortable.

Brandon Federici- Chris Mullin-  Fantastic talent and a really good scorer.  Obviously not a lefty but the high volume scoring and elite shooting fits for Federici.  Not to mention the volume of steals that Federici had nearly mirrors the 2.1 that Mullin had in the 90-91 season.  Underrated defensively and I believe @CentCraze88 was right when he named Brandon DPOY. 

Hunter Eggers-Mitch Richmond-  Another talented shooting/scoring wing who thrives in a run and gun style game where a high volume of shots are being hoisted.  Solid defensively and sneaky athletic.  Always got to remember where you came from right?  Well Hunter is a transfer from D1 Rice.  Surprised the F&M program didn't make the jump to the Big Ten when Hunter transferred similarly to what will happen when John Hopkins lands JVG @HopkinsNest7.......

Ignas Slyka- Tom Tolbert-  Not a household name by any means but sure can hold his own.  Streaky 3 point shooter and willing to mix it up on the boards. Knows the engine of the team is the 3 guards and does a good job of playing role.

Lionel Owona- Alton Lister- Post player.  Not a guy you are going to run an offense through but he is a big body who will get enough rebounds and will defend enough for the team to be successful. 

Dips are run by their 1 through 3.  Tate, Federici, and Eggers carry a workload offensively similarly to the Warriors RUN T.M.C (Hardaway, Mullin, Richmond).  A nice little retro hip hop reference never hurt anybody right?  With the 3 guards running the show they can get up and down fast and score a lot of points in the Dip Zone. 

Corp. Out.

Corp-
First off I want to thank you for your service, we as a country are forever in debt to you. Having said that Hank approves what you posted above but I have one disagreement. Brandon Federici is like a 1991 Christian Laettner. He is equally feared and hated in the Cent and opposing fans love to "chirp" at him on the court and on social media. The rest of your picks are spot on and a precisely accurate. Welcome to the Blog and hope to read more of your posts in the future.

Sincerely your new friend,

Hank Mardukas

I'd say more NBA Christian Laettner, but yeah, that's a good call.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Corporal Hicks

Hooah!  See? This is what a blog is all about!  Blogs are not made for fool-headed claims like the ones made every once in a while and I wont name any names.......Cough Cough @HopkinsNest7 Cough.  @HopkinsNest7, any update on the status of Swat's Walsh's finger?  Hope a jammed finger won't cost him too much of his senior season.  Thank you acquaintances @Hank and @RyanScott for the opinions.  I like the Laettner comparison, but not sure its totally fitting.  Federici is a scoring 2 guard while Laettner was more of a stretch 4.  The more and more I think about it I think that Federici fits the mold of a 2008-2009 Sacramento King's Kevin Martin relative to the Centennial Conference obviously.  Their shot release is very awkward but its quick and it works for them. 

On another note..... Anybody have any updates on the Hopkins job that I haven't mentioned?  Very curious to see what they will end up deciding on who will man the sidelines in the "Nest"

Corp. Out. 

NEPAFAN

Kids must be out of school this week...
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

HopkinsNest7

NEPAFAN - stick to the landmark, the Cent is no joke.

Corp.
While I greatly admire your services in defending our country I'm not willing to minigated by your ignorance. Sure you can take the easy way out here and compare Fed to Kevin Martin due to their unorthodox shot delivery, but I for one put thought into my comparisons.. Mahmoud Abdul Rauf is my comparison. You can note that Phil Jackson often compares Stephen curry to MAR because of their willingness to launch from anywhere. Feds range is out to the non existent admission table in most Cent gyms similar to Rauf.

I am going to compare Raufs 1992-1993 campaign in Denver to Feds latest coampaign in Lancaster.

Rauf: 19.2 points 2.2 personal fouls per game
Feds: 19.3 points 1.9 fouls per game

As seen here they basically score at the same rate with a barrage of 3 pointers but are similarly low on fouls. This shows the lack of physicality involved in both of their games on the defensive end in an attempt to preserve their bodies for scoring. You see a lot of this with Damien Lillard in today's game.

08-09 Kevin Martin tallied 24.6 ppg and an inflated 2.3 personals.

Sorry Corp.

"Hooah"
Ive always preferred basketball in it's third division.

GoDiplomats

Any truth to this Jule Brown transfer to NYU speculation?

Corporal Hicks

I appreciate all the admiration I've received thus far for the service I put into the military.  Thank you.

On the other hand, Not sure what that comment is supposed to mean @NEPAFAN but I don't appreciate the wise remarks.  Especially since the analysis and insight that I have delivered to this blog has been a major hit among many readers/subscribers that I know personally. 

As far as the status of Jule Brown....knowing the history of claims made by @HopkinsNest7 if I were a betting man I think I would lean heavily on him returning to Carlisle in the fall.  Say he were to transfer, I could absolutely see him heading to the Big City lights in Lower Manhattan.  NYU is a fantastic institution with an array of possibilities for its students.  Not to mention its located in the middle of the best city in the world.  From what I hear the social life at NYU is top notch comparatively to other small D3 schools.  What student athlete wouldn't want to live that lifestyle?  But hey my guess is its all speculation.  Could a frustrated Jule have made a comment here or there that would lead a teammate to believe he isn't satisfied with the way the season ended?  Sure very possible, but just from knowing Jule through mutual connections, I don't think Jule would have shown his hand like that.

Final prediction of the week:John Hopkins will miss the playoffs this year......especially if they are in the Big Ten......

Corp. Out.

CentCraze88

CRAZE IS BACK!!

Corporal Hicks my dude you got too much time on your hands.  Not even me the craze has enough time to post all this.  I do appreciate the comparisons, most of which I agree with.  However, you need a new hobby.  Ever since I learned how to paint, my life has been so much more fulfilling.  My wife left me partly because I turned our garage into an art studio.  Alas, she had no place to keep her snowglobe connection.  Honestly, couldn't stand her or her dumb collection, so we are all better off.  I am upset she took Rocky, our beautiful husky, with her tho.  He seemed to really like my art.

Anyways, how has the JHU job not been filled yet?  Bad look for recruits.  Maybe the school feels that it doesn't matter since the reputation of the school is so high, but nobody has had a beer with Johnny Hopkins in a minute.  BET.  Anyhow, I think the Cent is going to be highly competitive this year.  Look for a strong bounce back year my Muhlenberg with the coaching upgrade as well as Haverford and JHU.  Never know what kind of spark a new coach might bring.  Can't wait to see what kind of recruits come in to the Conference this year.

Anyhow, see y'all in a tizzy.  Crazed and deranged.

CC88

Warren Thompson

Craze: Do we really need to hear about your marital failures?   ::)

USee

Regarding the JHU job, here was what was posted on Hoopdirt a few days ago:

I have heard that four on campus interviews have been scheduled so far at Johns Hopkins University. The names that I've heard are: Mike Blaine (Head Coach Medaille College – JHU alum),  Joe Burke (Head Coach Skidmore College), Dan Engelstad (Head Coach Southern Vermont College), and Josh Loeffler (Assistant Coach Loyola University Maryland). I have not heard a timeline of the interviews yet

Red Onwuatuegwu

I've been a long time fan of this blog until now.... Blasphemous. That's only word that I can think of to describe what has been going on in this blog recently. First things first, Corp thank you for your service. Much appreciated. Second, Craze sorry for the marital issues hope everything works out in the future. That being said, some of these claim are preposterous. JVG and Woodson going to Hopkins... what?? Recently talked with good friend Seretti and Brown will be staying put in Carlise. Brown and everybody else coming back make dickinson a favorite to make it to the finals again along with swat. Corp, I really like the comparisons. Although I don't agree with all of them 100 percent, you bring up some interesting comparisons that are rather intriguing. Your top teams make sense but I'm more interested to see who you have in the bottom half that have potential in the future. Perhaps Haverford could be compared to a team like Philly? Young but both are looking to make a push soon after two or three rebuilding years.

Love seeing action on the blog in late April before we even hit the court in mid October. Who doesn't love some bball and the Cent? HopkinsNest, Hopefully we see your posts to a minimum with the injury report but I'd like to see your team get Jon Scheyer if he's still interested in the job. Qualified coach with experience who can bring energy and excitement to the nest. I digress, GO WIZARDS and hopefully everybody is as amped and ready to go for the upcoming season as I am!

Corporal Hicks

Corp heard from one of his sources that both Engelstad and Blaine submitted their name for the Mules job but their process was cut shortly after.  I remember Blaine when he was holding down the paint in Baltimore.  Anyone else miss the post duals between Hopkins's Blaine vs the Mule's Lesko?  Man oh man were those competitive battles of height, length, girth, and great feet.  With the Mule's Lesko, of course winning the majority of those battles by pure skill alone.  Lesko eventually went on to play professionally in Spain.  One of my guys in the eastern PA told me that Lesko is still in the Greater Allentown, Bethlehem, and Easton area and was spotted dominating the paint in the Local Tournament Of Champions(TOC) bracket which is held every year at Catasauqua Park.  All teams in tournament are winners of their own respective league.  Great to see "Cent" alums still looking to master their craft in their old age.  Oh it just seemed like yesterday........

Pat Coleman

I, too, love the traffic on this board of late. I'd love it even more if they were all different people, but alas, it seems like we're channeling 2005 on this board. One persona per person, please.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Warren Thompson

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 30, 2017, 12:51:09 PM
I, too, love the traffic on this board of late. I'd love it even more if they were all different people, but alas, it seems like we're channeling 2005 on this board. One persona per person, please.

Ah, the good ol' days of '05.     ;)

Gabriel

Quote from: Warren Thompson on April 30, 2017, 01:15:29 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 30, 2017, 12:51:09 PM

Ah, the good ol' days of '05.     ;)

Not a bad year, Ursinus won the CC :)