FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.MIAC

Gents, it looks like next week I'm heading to France and Belgium for a two-week work trip. I'll have a little free time to indulge. As a Tommie, the French wine thing is old hat so no problems there. ;) Does anyone have any good Belgian beer recommendations beyond the typical Chimay Blue, Delirium, and Duvel?

OzJohnnie

Somewhere there is a Tommie destined to spend eternity burning in hell.

[  

art76

Quote from: hazzben on May 26, 2015, 10:34:46 AM
Quote from: OzJohnnie on May 25, 2015, 04:57:33 PM
For your Memorial Day viewing: Navy SEAL BUD/S training, including Hell Week (in episode three, I think).  It's a long documentary but gripping.

http://youtu.be/wQFRePXMI9M

Love that documentary. A great book treatment that goes a little more in-depth is The Warrior Elite by Dick Couch that follows another class through BUDS. It's pre-9/11 so it isn't as censored as it would have been otherwise.

The follow-up book, The Finishing School goes through the next two years of training before they deploy as full blown SEALs. Very interesting reading.

Until you guys mentioned this I had never heard of the series - watched all six episodes - very informative. My dad was 20 years in the Navy (but not a SEAL). This series gave me some more insight into what it meant for him to serve our country.  My dad died just a year ago, almost 39 years after he "retired".
You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

OldAuggie

http://www.augsburg.edu/csbr?file=2013/04/CSBR-One-Pager-rvpvfp.pdf
a
Augsburg raised over $50 million by May 1st and broke ground recently on the new CSBR. This new building will be located in the same spot as our old college house. Change is happening at Augsburg.
MIAC champions 1928, 1997

OzJohnnie

What's that? 8:24 to go in the third and the Ducks just scored to make it 4-2, Blackhawks lead?

EDIT: I hate the Blackhawks. They had to score to make me wrong but right, didn't they?
[  

bennie

Well, my Ducks had a good run! Given the choices, I guess I will now have to cheer for the Blackhawks.

It feels wrong to cheer for the same team as Chicago Tommie... :-[
High sticking, tripping, slashing, spearing, charging, hooking, fighting, unsportsmanlike conduct, interference, roughing... everything else is just figure skating.  ~Author Unknown

BDB

I was feeling your pain during the game bennie. The Ducks will make a run for it again next year.

NBC caught the short end of the stick. They had a New York/ LA Finals on the hook and lost it at the boat. While Chicago is a quality 3rd market for them Tampa Bay sucks for TV ratings.

sjusection105

Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on May 31, 2015, 10:02:03 AM
I was feeling your pain during the game bennie. The Ducks will make a run for it again next year.

NBC caught the short end of the stick. They had a New York/ LA Finals on the hook and lost it at the boat. While Chicago is a quality 3rd market for them Tampa Bay sucks for TV ratings.
Tampa Bay sucks as a hockey market.... it's just wrong  ???
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

OldAuggie

Quote from: sjusection105 on May 31, 2015, 10:18:10 AM
Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on May 31, 2015, 10:02:03 AM

Tampa Bay sucks as a hockey market.... it's just wrong  ???
I agree with you it does suck from a hockey purist standpoint. It must be profitable for the owners though. The players and coaches might enjoy living and playing in Florida or So. California after playing hockey in Scandanavia, Russia, Minnesota etc. If the TV deal is sweet it probably works. How many teams does California have, 3 NHL teams? The NHL is very close to adding a team in Las Vegas I heard.
MIAC champions 1928, 1997

BDB

If you haven't yet you have got to read/watch the story of Chris Norton on the front page of d3football.com.

Well done Chris!

BDB

Users Online Users Online
62 Guests, 1 User
Users active in past 15 minutes:
BlueDevil Bob

I gotta get a life.

OzJohnnie

MAD MAAAAAX!!!!!!

If I had a life and was 18 again I would go back and see that flick two more times. I was amazed at how they manage to turn a two hour car chase into gripping cinema.  I was actually cheering (in my head) for the good guys, loathing the bad guys and sympathising with the hot chicks (breeders, as they were called).

Amazingly, it all looked real. And it turns out it mostly was. CGI was apparently reserved for backgrounds, removing stunt rigging, and giving the lead actress an amputated arm.  It was good old fashioned blow 'em up mayhem. And over the top Mad Max style insanity cranked to 11.

For anyone that loved the mad action flick in their younger days then I recommend this one. I had heard it was good but still expected it to suck.  Found out the opposite.
[  

Pat Coleman

Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on May 31, 2015, 03:35:07 PM
If you haven't yet you have got to read/watch the story of Chris Norton on the front page of d3football.com.

Well done Chris!

Amazing what that man has accomplished. Just amazing.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

SJUrube

Quote from: Reverend MIAC on May 30, 2015, 03:10:21 AM
Gents, it looks like next week I'm heading to France and Belgium for a two-week work trip. I'll have a little free time to indulge. As a Tommie, the French wine thing is old hat so no problems there. ;) Does anyone have any good Belgian beer recommendations beyond the typical Chimay Blue, Delirium, and Duvel?
]

Good on the Tommies for finding a way to provide an international experience for some of their football players. They obviously can't go in the fall and I imagine many feel a spring abroad trip is not an option for fear of missing out on spring activities and taking a step back on the depth chart. I would hope they'd be encouraging students to take full advantage of the college experience - study abroad, internships, etc.

What I find most entertaining about the trip is UST has said not a word about the Canada trip the entire team took in the days before a few dozen players left for Italy. I know promoting an international trip to Canada isn't nearly as sexy as taking one to Europe but from my end it's been a misleading narrative. Then again, when you haven't won the MIAC in two years and have dropped back-to-back games to your biggest rival, I guess you get a little loose with the truth.

hazzben

Quote from: OzJohnnie on May 31, 2015, 06:38:10 PM
MAD MAAAAAX!!!!!!

If I had a life and was 18 again I would go back and see that flick two more times. I was amazed at how they manage to turn a two hour car chase into gripping cinema.  I was actually cheering (in my head) for the good guys, loathing the bad guys and sympathising with the hot chicks (breeders, as they were called).

Amazingly, it all looked real. And it turns out it mostly was. CGI was apparently reserved for backgrounds, removing stunt rigging, and giving the lead actress an amputated arm.  It was good old fashioned blow 'em up mayhem. And over the top Mad Max style insanity cranked to 11.

For anyone that loved the mad action flick in their younger days then I recommend this one. I had heard it was good but still expected it to suck.  Found out the opposite.

I convinced my wife to see it on a date night back home in Iowa a few weekends ago. It helped immensely that the other options were terrible.

But she HATED the movie. She kept giving me these looks that vacillated between 'I'm gonna kill you for taking me to this' and 'you owe me SO big' (she also pointed out she was literally the only woman in the theatre). We got done and she looked at me and said, 'admit it, that was the worst movie you've ever seen.' Even though I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, her loathing it had me wondering if I was off on my assessment.

Then we got home, after debating the merits the whole ride there, and I looked up it's rating on Rotten Tomatoes. 99% of critics approve!!!!!!!! Sweet vindication. I spent the rest of the night and next several days informing her that Mad Max is more of a film than movie and she just didn't quite have the sophistication for a movie like this  ;D ;) I also told her, I would be more than willing to go to a total chic flick on our next date night, provided she can guarantee that the movie will be rated a 99% on RT!

I'm really close to being banished to the dog house over all this gloating, but I just can't help myself. I feel so vindicated. Just wish I could have watched it with someone who would've appreciated it. Alas though, OZ, it wouldn't be as fun holding your hand.  :-*