FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emma17

You have all been "Plus K'd". Thank you.
Between COVID and the other thing, common sense seems outlawed.

sjusection105

Quote from: OzJohnnie on September 10, 2020, 05:03:42 PM
This is what we live under in Nazi Melbourne, Australia.  All these rules have been declared via fiat by the state's Chief Health Officer under some loosely worded public health regulations.  No parliamentary review.  No judicial appeal.  It's a nightmare, to be honest.  Utterly depressing and I invite anyone who wants to live locked in a prison to make their way here.

The tightest (more than italy) and longest (120 days and counting) restrictions that exist anywhere in the world:

- Cannot leave your house for more than 1 hour a day or subject to arrest.
- Only one person at a time can leave the house. For four approved purposed only (Grocery shopping, medical care, exercise, essential work).
- Curfew from 8pm to 5am.  Subject to arrest if of the home outside those hours.
- Facemasks at all times, 24x7, outside the home or subject to arrest.  Even while walking the dog alone and in sight of no other person.
- Cannot move more than 5km from your home.
- Must carry a gov't permit at all times authorising you to be more that 5km if you've been deemed an essential worker.
- Unlawful seizure has been suspended.  Police can enter your homes and seize and property without a warrant.
- Parliament has been suspended for long periods and only just started sitting again - to extend these powers for six more months.  A Green party member literally returned from maternity leave for just a couple hours to be the decide vote on extending the police power for six more months (a full year of this hellishness now until parliament reconsiders the issue)
- Police and the defense personal now patrol every street.  Armed defense personnel roaming the streets and arresting people not in masks while outside and alone.  No ****.  I am not ****ting you.

- Video abounds of houses being entered and people (pregnant, unemployed mothers in front of their families even) of homes being entered by force and arrests for incitement (15 years imprisonment) for FaceBook posts encouraging rallies against the lockdowns.  Political dissent has been penalised with incarceration.  No law was passed to enable this.  It was enabled by decree.

This dystopian hell hole has been created for fewer than 20k cases and 600 deaths since February.  In a state with just under seven million people.  The panic and "logic" of virus fear has rooted deep into the psyche of the political class and fools who think like them.

What will become of Australia?  it's hard to say but it's very ugly.  And very desperate.  We are not allowed to leave the country and not allowed to enter.  Fewer than 2500 a day now since March.

So all those with hero fantasies of saving people who don't even know what's good for them and forcing the whole population to hide in fear can get bent.  It's a disgrace.  Liberty has died here.  Literally.  And if or how it resolves itself is still a mystery.  Melbourne, the world's most liveable city for 10 consecutive years, lies empty.  Citizens are subject to arrest if they show there without gov't papers. The city's economy in complete ruins.  The social fabric of the place has been torn out from the root.

So I invite anyone who favours fear over sense to migrate here and see the logical conclusion of that horrid mistake in action.  And pray you're allowed to leave when you're sick of it.
:o WOW
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

DuffMan

I'm gonna check out for a bit.  Catch you on the flip side, fellas.

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: criswyly on September 10, 2020, 04:26:31 PM
My words exactly Sagatagsam.  Nice to see not everybody is drinking the koolaid.  PS...there absolutely is no science behind the use of masks.  Ding me if you want.

This is total BS.  Not only is there science, there is also common sense.  The coronavirus spreads (mainly) by airborne transmission (i.e., by exhalations of infected people, whether or not they show symptoms).  Masks protect the mask-wearer to a degree (less airborne particles received), but they are more for avoiding transmission to others - some of us value the lives of other people.  As a Trump supporter, I assume you don't. ::)

sjusection105

The University of Minnesota eliminated three non-revenue sports yesterday, Men's Track & Field, Tennis and Gymnastics. The loss of revenue from Men's Basketball & Football has put the athletic department in a $75 M hole. This will be played out in all divisions of college athletics in the the months to come.
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

d-train

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on September 10, 2020, 10:11:07 PM
My words exactly Sagatagsam.  Nice to see not everybody is drinking the koolaid.  PS...there absolutely is no science behind the use of masks.  Ding me if you want.

This is total BS.  Not only is there science, there is also common sense.  The coronavirus spreads (mainly) by airborne transmission (i.e., by exhalations of infected people, whether or not they show symptoms).  Masks protect the mask-wearer to a degree (less airborne particles received), but they are more for avoiding transmission to others - some of us value the lives of other people.  As a Trump supporter, I assume you don't. ::)

Totally with you Mr. Ypsi. But I'm not sure this is the place for politics. 

SagatagSam

My understanding is that the "science" on masks is mixed. I took about 45 seconds and had a few citations to random control studies that have indicated that masks don't work, and after another 45 seconds had links to places like the Mayo Clinic that suggest they do work.

I don't much care for a protracted debate on the efficacy of masks (at least not today). My preference is to not wear a mask. Though, if wearing a mask is required to enter a store, courthouse, or property of another, I will comply despite my general preference. And, if I feel the requirements of a given establishment are too onerous, I'll take my business elsewhere.

Oh, and can we cut the "some of us value the lives of other people" preening nonsense? I'd hate to see anyone break an arm patting themselves on the back.
Sing us a song, you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright.

miac952

Quote from: SagatagSam on September 11, 2020, 04:38:10 PM

My understanding is that the "science" on masks is mixed. I took about 45 seconds and had a few citations to random control studies that have indicated that masks don't work, and after another 45 seconds had links to places like the Mayo Clinic that suggest they do work.

I don't much care for a protracted debate on the efficacy of masks (at least not today). My preference is to not wear a mask. Though, if wearing a mask is required to enter a store, courthouse, or property of another, I will comply despite my general preference. And, if I feel the requirements of a given establishment are too onerous, I'll take my business elsewhere.

Oh, and can we cut the "some of us value the lives of other people" preening nonsense? I'd hate to see anyone break an arm patting themselves on the back.

I can fully appreciate the need to rev the economy and open things back up. I get that, I support it, and I work in a hospital. I'm with you all on that. Mistakes were made. We need to find ways to get on with everyday life.

BUT, I can't for the life of me get the argument against masks. It's the ticket to reviving the economy up and being able to open things, and it's a small price to pay, FREEDOM and MAGA notwithstanding. The first link you shared appears to be a half wit website with a bunch of studies cited on influenza from 10 years ago. That would be wonderful if... 1. it was more recent research 2. Covid were influenza or an upper respiratory virus (hint..it's not) 3. Studies were done during a pandemic on a virus where viral load matters as much or more than transmission.

Remember that the primary form of transmission for COVID is aerosolized droplets, unlike contact and surfaces with influenza. In recent weeks there have been many peer reviewed studies on how viral load from transmission is reduced in indoor transmission of the virus. That's a big deal with this. That means you may get, but your cycle with it will probably be less severe. That's a big deal, especially for frontline workers stuck indoors all day. One only needs to look at a video on you tube of expiration with a mask on vs. without. It's abundantly clear.

And to see a link in that article on headaches for those who wear masks for long periods of time. OR staff do this every single day for 8-12 hr stretches. They are surviving. The least we can do is throw one on for 20 minutes in a grocery store.

This country has lost rational though on both sides. The full lockdowns are crazy. The conspiratorial anti mask, Q anon nuts are crazy. Wear a mask. Respect others. Open up the economy. Rant over

Pat Coleman

This post was perfectly reasonable up until the last sentence. You know that isn't necessary, Mr. Y.  >:(
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 11, 2020, 08:17:11 PM

This post was perfectly reasonable up until the last sentence. You know that isn't necessary, Mr. Y.  >:(

Yeah, Pat, I apologize and retract that sentence.  I just get so frustrated at anti-mask, anti-social-distancing people.  I don't LIKE wearing a mask, either, but recognize its importance.

MUC57

Watched "real" football games on TV today. Rah! 🏈  8-)  ;D
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

OzJohnnie

OOOOoooh, relief in Melbourne!  Curfew has been eased to 9pm to 5am from the previous 8pm to 5pm and we now get to leave the house for 2 hours a day!  Even better, singles who have been in complete isolation now for over 50 days can register one nominated person with the gov't who will be allowed to visit (face masks on and subject to warrantless checks, of course!) for up to 1 hour per day!

We had 50 infections in the whole state of 7 million people yesterday.  50 infections spread almost exclusively between patients and staff in aged care and hospitals.

Anyone who doesn't think Joe Q Citizen is unable to socially distance and stay home when sick all on their own... this is the nightmare.  I'm living in it.
[  

faunch

Johnnies beat Whitworth 45-10 to move to 2-0 on the season. Next week a trip to the Jake.

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

OzJohnnie

Did Bartch get a snap?  I don't think so but the participation reports I've been able to locate aren't too flash.   Anyone in a fantasy league that has access to those stats?
[  

SJUrube

Quote from: OzJohnnie on September 15, 2020, 07:01:11 AM
Did Bartch get a snap?  I don't think so but the participation reports I've been able to locate aren't too flash.   Anyone in a fantasy league that has access to those stats?

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/sports/nfl/2020/09/14/jaguars-rookies-handle-heavy-workload-victory-over-colts/5796352002/
"....and guard Ben Bartch had five special-teams snaps."

There was a brief video posted on Twitter of the Jags kicker celebrating a made kick and you can see Bartch flash across the screen at the start.
https://twitter.com/D3FBHuddle/status/1305317724256690176