MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

Geneseo with an 11 point halftime lead over Rose-Hulman 37-26. Gordon Lyons with a double double at the break of 14 points and 11 rebounds. Freshman Kevin Crockett has 10 points and hasn't missed a 3 point attempt all weekend.

Knights now up 49-34 with 13:55 left to play. Crockett now with 15 points and has made 8x8 from downtown yesterday and today.

magicman

Cortland gives the SUNYAC the lead against the NESCAC (we're up 2-1 now) as the Red Dragons defeat Trinity(Conn) 72-63. Lamard Herron led all scorers with a big game as he poured in 29 points. Lamard was 9x18 from the field, 6x12 from downtown and 5x6 from the line. Shayne Martinez had 11 points and Blair Estarfaa had 10.

Cortland improves to 3-0 and will not be back in action until December 2nd when they host crosstown rival Ithaca at 5:30 PM

magicman

Geneseo wins the consolation game of the Case Western Reserve Tournament as they defeat Rose-Hulman by a 73-57 final score.

Gordon Lyons has another double double of 23 points and 15 rebounds. He also added another 5 assists as the big guy may end up with more assists than half the point guards in the country. Freshman Kevin Crockett scored 17 points and has now gone 8x8 from long distance in his first 2 games in a Knights uniform. Kevin had 21 points yesterday in his Geneseo debut. Andy Drescher scored 16 points today and James McKenna added 12.

The Knights even their record at 1-1 and will be back in action on Tuesday night when they travel to Morrisville State to take on the Mustangs at 7:00 PM

Gordon Lyons has opened the season on a tear and he is the leading candidate for the SUNYAC Player of the Week after the first 2 games of his Senior season. He left no doubt why he was selected as a D3hoops preseason All American. He was named to the 2nd Team but if he continues to put up numbers like he did this weekend the boys at this website will have no choice but to bump him up to the 1st team at year's end. Last year Gordon had 17 double doubles in 28 games. He may break that mark this season. Here is the 2 day total that Gordon put up this weekend. With numbers like these, I hope that the school nominates him for the D3hoops Team of the Week...I think he's a lock.

51 points...23 today and 28 yesterday
30 rebounds...15 today and 15 yesterday
10 assists 5 each day... He now leads the team in that category as well.
17x24 from the field 70.8 %
17x21 from the line 80.9%
Played 78 out of 80 minutes
Ast/TO   2.0   

Bengalsrule

Quote from: magicman on November 22, 2014, 08:18:59 PM
Geneseo wins the consolation game of the Case Western Reserve Tournament as they defeat Rose-Hulman by a 73-57 final score.

Gordon Lyons has another double double of 23 points and 15 rebounds. He also added another 5 assists as the big guy may end up with more assists than half the point guards in the country. Freshman Kevin Crockett scored 17 points and has now gone 8x8 from long distance in his first 2 games in a Knights uniform. Kevin had 21 points yesterday in his Geneseo debut. Andy Drescher scored 16 points today and James McKenna added 12.

The Knights even their record at 1-1 and will be back in action on Tuesday night when they travel to Morrisville State to take on the Mustangs at 7:00 PM

Gordon Lyons has opened the season on a tear and he is the leading candidate for the SUNYAC Player of the Week after the first 2 games of his Senior season. He left no doubt why he was selected as a D3hoops preseason All American. He was named to the 2nd Team but if he continues to put up numbers like he did this weekend the boys at this website will have no choice but to bump him up to the 1st team at year's end. Last year Gordon had 17 double doubles in 28 games. He may break that mark this season. Here is the 2 day total that Gordon put up this weekend. With numbers like these, I hope that the school nominates him for the D3hoops Team of the Week...I think he's a lock.

51 points...23 today and 28 yesterday
30 rebounds...15 today and 15 yesterday
10 assists 5 each day... He now leads the team in that category as well.
17x24 from the field 70.8 %
17x21 from the line 80.9%
Played 78 out of 80 minutes
Ast/TO   2.0   

If he doesn't make D3 team of the week, then I'm not gonna bother looking at that team any more this season!

magicman

Watching the local news tonight here in Plattsburgh and the news anchor talked about the large number of trucks, plows and men from our area highway departments that have made the trip out to Buffalo to help the Queen City with their snow removal problem.

We, here in the North Country, remember back in 1998 when the Ice Storm of the Century hit our area and there was no power for the better part of a week. Crews from the western part of the state, downstate, and even from many other states all came to the Plattsburgh area to help us out.

Now that the time has come with a chance to return that favor, our men and machines were quickly on their way. The news was showing pictures of truck after truck being loaded with snow to help alleviate the flooding problems that will occur tomorrow with the high temperatures moving into the region. 

The local weatherman for our region traveled to Buffalo today and will be giving us live updates tomorrow and broadcasting the evening weather from there. He was telling us how the area received their entire year's annual snowfall in the past few days.

I live in the North Country, about as far north as you can go in New York State. I look out my window and there's about an inch, maybe 2 inches of snow on the ground and that will all be gone by noon tomorrow. I see the pictures from Buffalo and it looks like those people are living on another planet in a galaxy far, far, away.

So I hope tomorrow (actually today since it's after 1:00 AM) that my friend in Buffalo and all his friends in Buffalo make it through the next few days without any more headaches and heartaches. Happy to hear that you were able to leave the house today to get some work in but  ease back into life's daily routines nice and slow.

We're thinking of you here in the 'Burgh. I'll send you all the karma I can, my friend.           

magicman

The SUNYAC has played 26 games in the first 8 days of the season. The storm in western NY has caused a number of postponements and some cancellations. Buffalo State lost 2 games because their Coles Classic Tournament was cancelled. The conference record for the 26 games played so far is 14-12. 2 games, a win by Fredonia and a loss by Potsdam won't count as they were against non D3 schools.

The SUNYAC, as of November 23rd, is currently ranked #15 out of 47 conferences by the Massey Ratings System.   By comparison the other East Region conferences have the following rankings:

The Liberty League is ranked #21

The Empire 8 is ranked #33

The North Eastern Athletic Conf. is ranked #43

Bengalsrule

Quote from: magicman on November 23, 2014, 08:31:37 AM
The SUNYAC has played 26 games in the first 8 days of the season. The storm in western NY has caused a number of postponements and some cancellations. Buffalo State lost 2 games because their Coles Classic Tournament was cancelled. The conference record for the 26 games played so far is 14-12. 2 games, a win by Fredonia and a loss by Potsdam won't count as they were against non D3 schools.

The SUNYAC, as of November 23rd, is currently ranked #15 out of 47 conferences by the Massey Ratings System.   By comparison the other East Region conferences have the following rankings:

Wow with the cancelattions in WNY we are better than half way thru the Non confernce schedule (for 'Yac teams, not including the Wendy's tournanment). Approx 24 OOC games left and a improved Massey rating may come down to New Paltz and Oneonta's results vs Roanoke college (out of the #10th highest rated conference -ODAC) and Plattsburgh vs Keene (currently undefeated and out of the LEC-rated 13th) and perennial NCAA participant Middlebury, (NESCAC - 4 rated conf -). The other OOC remaining contests are versus conf foes who are rated below the 'Yac ( and that can always change too).

I have no doubt that 3 teams from the 'Yac got invited to the dance last year because of our top 10 Massey rating. Hoping that our collective results get better before we start to beat up on each other Dec 5th! Here's to hoping that my beloved BENGALS will do their part this Tuesday at Hobart! ;)

Go BENGALS!!! :)

magicman

Quote from: Bengalsrule on November 24, 2014, 12:21:51 AM
Quote from: magicman on November 23, 2014, 08:31:37 AM

Wow with the cancelattions in WNY we are better than half way thru the Non confernce schedule (for 'Yac teams, not including the Wendy's tournanment). Approx 24 OOC games left and a improved Massey rating may come down to New Paltz and Oneonta's results vs Roanoke college (out of the #10th highest rated conference -ODAC) and Plattsburgh vs Keene (currently undefeated and out of the LEC-rated 13th) and perennial NCAA participant Middlebury, (NESCAC - 4 rated conf -). The other OOC remaining contests are versus conf foes who are rated below the 'Yac ( and that can always change too).

I have no doubt that 3 teams from the 'Yac got invited to the dance last year because of our top 10 Massey rating. Hoping that our collective results get better before we start to beat up on each other Dec 5th! Here's to hoping that my beloved BENGALS will do their part this Tuesday at Hobart! ;)

Go BENGALS!!! :)

Has to be more than 24 out of conference games left, Champ. 10 teams in the YAC each play 7 OOC games = 70 total OOC games. The only cancelled games that I know of were the Buff State pair in the Coles Tournament. The rest were re-scheduled I believe. 70-26 already played-2 cancelled =42 left to play. Maybe I'm 1 or 2 off because some YAC team didn't have a full 25 game schedule laid out but by my count we have at least 40 games left to play OOC. That's a heck of a lot more than 24!!! ;D ???   

magicman

Just 1 game involving a SUNYAC team today.

Plattsburgh State at Skidmore  7:00 PM

This is a match up of 2 teams that should be at or near the top of their respective conferences. Skidmore was chosen to come in 2nd in the Liberty League in their preseason coaches poll. Vassar College, the team that was picked to win the league defeated New Paltz 70-61 last week and Brockport edged St Lawrence 69-66 on Saturday in the only 2 Liberty League-SUNYAC pairings so far.

Skidmore is a single point from having a perfect record as they dropped a 75-74 decision to Babson on Saturday after opening the season with wins over Ithaca and Castleton State. They return 4 starters from last year including their top 2 scoring threats and 4 of their top 5. Leading the way is their All Conference 6'4" junior point guard, Aldin Medunjanin, who is averaging 16.7 ppg, 7.3 rpg and 5.0 apg. Connor Merrill, a 6'6" senior forward, is close behind with a 16.0 ppg average and a team leading 8.7 rpg. He also leads the team in blocks with 6 in 3 games. Last year's leading scorer, 6'5"senior forward Erik Sanders, is averaging 14 points, with 4 boards per game, and is the leading 3 point shooter on the team. Another senior forward, 6'6" Perun Kovacevic, the 4th returning starter, averages 10.7 ppg and 7.3 rpg. So the Brewers return a ton of talent from a team that went 16-10 last year. This is the biggest team they've had in some time but the one thing they lack is a deep bench. They only have 7 players that get double digit minutes and 4 of their starters play 29 to 36 minutes a game.

Plattsburgh also comes into this game with a 2-1 record after dropping a close decision at Western Connecticut last Friday night. The Cardinals were missing their starting point guard Mike Mitchell, in that game and he is questionable for tonight's contest. Plattsburgh has a versatile lineup that can score points in bunches and any one of 8 different players can lead the way. In 3 games so far 3 different players have led the team in scoring. Two of the teams four leading scorers, Jordon Moody and Kyle Richardson have come off the bench, and the top returning scorer from last year is currently the 6th leading scorer this year. The Cardinals use a 10 man rotation, and even if Mitchell is unavailable for the game tonight they will still bring a 10th man into the game as they can go 12 deep if necessary.

The oddsmakers have made the Cardinals a 5 point road favorite. That seems reasonable but I think that Plattsburgh will win by a slightly bigger margin. I'm taking the Cardinals by an 80-72 final score. I will be making the trip south to see this game in person. The weather is supposed to cooperate with temperatures approaching 60 degrees. Might as well take advantage of the last stretch of good weather we might have for quite some time.

thebear

Has to be more than 24 out of conference games left, Champ. 10 teams in the YAC each play 7 OOC games = 70 total OOC games. The only cancelled games that I know of were the Buff State pair in the Coles Tournament. The rest were re-scheduled I believe. 70-26 already played-2 cancelled =42 left to play. Maybe I'm 1 or 2 off because some YAC team didn't have a full 25 game schedule laid out but by my count we have at least 40 games left to play OOC. That's a heck of a lot more than 24!!! ;D ???
[/quote]

The Potsdam web site says our games vs. John Carroll and at Hilbert are "Cancelled".  Hilbert's site says "Postponed".  The games have disappeared from John Carroll's site.  Hilbert is right in the middle of the snow belt only about a mile from Ralph Wilson Stadium. 

Bears have non conference tilts left at Clarkson, Skidmore, and SLU.  We break for Thanksgiving tomorrow evening, are back for two weeks, then finals until 12/19. 

"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

Bengalsrule

Quote from: magicman on November 23, 2014, 01:19:15 AM
Watching the local news tonight here in Plattsburgh and the news anchor talked about the large number of trucks, plows and men from our area highway departments that have made the trip out to Buffalo to help the Queen City with their snow removal problem.

We, here in the North Country, remember back in 1998 when the Ice Storm of the Century hit our area and there was no power for the better part of a week. Crews from the western part of the state, downstate, and even from many other states all came to the Plattsburgh area to help us out.

Now that the time has come with a chance to return that favor, our men and machines were quickly on their way. The news was showing pictures of truck after truck being loaded with snow to help alleviate the flooding problems that will occur tomorrow with the high temperatures moving into the region. 

The local weatherman for our region traveled to Buffalo today and will be giving us live updates tomorrow and broadcasting the evening weather from there. He was telling us how the area received their entire year's annual snowfall in the past few days.

I live in the North Country, about as far north as you can go in New York State. I look out my window and there's about an inch, maybe 2 inches of snow on the ground and that will all be gone by noon tomorrow. I see the pictures from Buffalo and it looks like those people are living on another planet in a galaxy far, far, away.

So I hope tomorrow (actually today since it's after 1:00 AM) that my friend in Buffalo and all his friends in Buffalo make it through the next few days without any more headaches and heartaches. Happy to hear that you were able to leave the house today to get some work in but  ease back into life's daily routines nice and slow.

We're thinking of you here in the 'Burgh. I'll send you all the karma I can, my friend.         

Damn...dont know how I missed this earlier :-[. Thanks much buddy! I'll be sure to share with Faj, Kevin and the fellas!  Very thoughtful!! ;)

Bengalsrule

Quote from: thebear on November 24, 2014, 12:57:42 PM

The Potsdam web site says our games vs. John Carroll and at Hilbert are "Cancelled".  Hilbert's site says "Postponed".  The games have disappeared from John Carroll's site.  Hilbert is right in the middle of the snow belt only about a mile from Ralph Wilson Stadium. 

Bears have non conference tilts left at Clarkson, Skidmore, and SLU.  We break for Thanksgiving tomorrow evening, are back for two weeks, then finals until 12/19.
[/quote]

I didn't include the 6 games that Geneseo and Brockport would play in the Wendys. We had 2 cancelled and Fredonia lost 2 also. There's some more missing somewhere else  :-[. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say maybe 29 left, with 25 left in 2014 and 4 in 2015  (not including Wendys tourney games since Geneseo and B'port could play each other). ;). I, however yield to my friend from the north country who has been doing this far longer than I!!! ;)

Bengalsrule

Oh BTW...Congrats to the Cards who defeated Skidmore in OT. I expect the Magicmans report around 2:16 a.m.. ;)

magicman

Back home from the Plattsburgh State-Skidmore game won by the Cardinals 60-57 in overtime. Got my money's worth tonight with an old fashioned barn burner.

The Cardinals didn't play a very good half of basketball in the opening stanza of this game. They shot 28.6% from the field (8x28), 9.1% from long distance (1x11) and 50% from the stripe (4x8). They were out rebounded 26 to 18 and committed 8 turnovers to 5 for the Thoroughbreds. They were lucky to be only down by 11 at the break. We scored the 1st basket on a layup by Reggie Smith and after 2 baskets by Skidmore, Ezra Hodgson hit a trifecta to put us in front 5-4. The Cardinals wouldn't be in front again until the latter stages of the overtime period. Connor Merrill had the hot hand for the Thoroughbreds and they rode his shotmaking to a gradual 24-14 advantage, with 8:31 left in the period. Merrill had 11 of those 24 Skidmore points. The lead drifted back and forth from 6 to 11 points and reached the biggest margin when Nanribet Yiljep hit a layup and 1 to make it 32-19 with 2 minutes left in the half. A pair of Mike Mitchell free throws cut the lead to 11 at the break.

The Cardinals' Coach Curle must have given his players the business during the break because they came out of the locker room and quickly cut into the deficit to get within 5 points with only 1:51 gone in the period. Mike Mitchell's back to back 3 pointers and a pair of inside moves by big man Reggie Williams helped get the Cards in a more favorable position. The Thoroughbreds now knew that this game was going to be a dogfight and would, in all probability go right down to the wire. The teams didn't disappoint. They weren't separated by more than 2 possessions for the remainder of the game. The first 12 points of the period for the Cards were scored by Mitchell and Williams, with 6 each. Eddie Correa got the Cards within 4 at 39-35 with a layup and then Shamoy McIntosh took over scoring 6 straight points for Plattsburgh, the last coming on a 3 pointer that tied the score at 41 with 5:19 to play. After Merrill hit a 3 pointer to put Skidmore back in front by 3, McIntosh was fouled and made both to close the gap to a single point. Mitchell countered a pair of free throws made by Skidmore's Aldin Medunjanin, the Thoroughbreds' Erik Sanders scored inside and Eddie Corea nailed a big 3 pointer to tie the score at 48. Each team then got a pair of free throws and both got an inside move to leave the team tied at the buzzer. Plattsburgh's final regulation points came from Reggie Williams with 33 ticks left.

Skidmore scored 1st in the extra period hitting 1 of 2 free throws and then Connor Merrill scored the last of his 20 points to put the Thoroughbreds up by 3. The Cards' Kyle Richardson was fouled going to the hoop and hit both free throws to narrow the gap, but Skidmore's D1 transfer, Royce Paris, countered with a pair from the stripe to build the lead back to 3 points. McIntosh went to the line to hit a pair of clutch foul shots for Plattsburgh and then both teams misfired on their next 2 possessions. With 1:46 seconds remaining in the game, Richardson who is beginning to make a habit of late game heroics, nailed a 3 pointer that gave the Cardinals their first lead, 59-57, since the opening minutes of the game. With a chance to tie the score from the line, Skidmore missed 2 free throws and the Cards rebounded, only to turn it over seconds later. Skidmore went inside for the tying shot but McIntosh blocked the layup and Plattsburgh rebounded the ball and tried to add to their lead. The Cards couldn't convert inside and Skidmore came down with the ball in the hands of Paris. The Skidmore guard's drive to the basket was well defended by McIntosh as Paris came up empty and McIntosh came away with the rebound. He was fouled and made 1 of 2 to make it 60-57. Skidmore called timeout to set up a game tying 3 pointer but Paris' shot was blocked by Reggie Williams and the Cards had clawed their way back from a 13 point defict to grab the win.

Reggie Williams was too much for Skidmore to handle inside tonight as the big guy had a career high 17 points to lead the Cardinals in scoring. He completed his double-double by grabbing a game high 12 rebounds including 6 off the offensive glass. Reggie became the 4th Cardinal player in 4 games to lead the team in scoring.

Shamoy McIntosh never scored a point in the game until there was 6:35 left to play. From that point on he scored 13 points and just missed a double-double with 9 rebounds. He added 5 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks. He also logged a game high 39 minutes on the floor.

Point guard Mike Mitchell was back in action after missing last Friday's game and he came through with 10 points, a pair of huge 3 pointes and a clutch 4x4 from the line.

Kyle Richardson chipped in with 5 very big points, all in the overtime period, and 7 rebounds

Eddie Correa added 7 points, 5 rebounds and a pair of dimes.

Plattsburgh did improve their shooting percentages and ended up with 31.7 %, 25.0 %  and 61.5% from the field, long range and the line respectively. They ended up with a slight edge in rebounding...48 to 44 and had 16 turnovers to 11 for Skidmore.

The Thoroughbreds were led by the game's high scorer Connor Merrill who tossed down 20 points on a collection of inside moves, several bank shots and a few bombs from long range. He added 5 rebounds as well. Nanribet Yiljep tossed in 11 points and had 6 boards. Issac Carp failed to break into the scoring column but did lead the team with 10 rebounds.

The Thoroughbreds ended up with a 31.0% field goal percentage, only 4x25 from long range...16% and 73.9 % from the line.

Plattburgh improves to 3-1 as they have opened up with 4 consecutive road games. They have yet another one in their next outing when they travel to Canton, New York to take on another Liberty League club, St. Lawrence, on December 2nd when they get back from Thanksgiving break. 

Skidmore travels to Schenectady  to face Williams College in the 1st round of the Union Tournament on November 29th and will tackle Westfield State the next day.                       

magicman

I missed the news today Champ, what's going on in the Queen City? Did the melting snow cause flooding problems?'