Women's World Cup 2015 - Canada

Started by woacfan, June 07, 2015, 07:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woacfan

Ill start the ball rolling....please comment!
Should we just call it now....Germany 10 -Ivory Coast 0.....The Germans look dominant.  I think its going to be hard for the Americans to compete with that.  We're an aging team that still relies on serving the ball to Abby Wambach.  The final warmup game showed how one-dimensional we've become.  I hope I'm wrong, but USA has its work cut out.  Sweeden is sure to give the USA fits. 

Thoughts?
"We talk about it for 20 minutes and then we decide I was right" - Brian Clough

FCGrizzliesGrad

I think the US should still have no problem advancing out of the group.
What would be a problem is if they finish 2nd then they'd face the winner of Group E which is likely Brazil followed by most likely Germany. If they can win their group then they'd have a much easier path to the semifinals only needing to beat a 3rd place team followed by the runner up of group A/C
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

woacfan

You're most likely right.  Today the US take on Australia; they shouldn't be much of a test.  I read an article this morning that described USWNT as "deep".  Do you agree?  I see them as having some younger members, but relying more on the old veterans.  My concern has been that the US has let the game pass them by. 

jknezek

I think the U.S. women's game has always been a physical and fitness oriented contest. Title IX gave us some tremendous athletes and while the rest of the world was developing female programs in the 90s and early naughts, we were well ahead. Now I think we still have great athletes, but the sophistication of soccer in the rest of the world is starting to show. We still play a very physical and fitness style, just like we have on the men's side. We are very good at it. But we are a naive soccer country. On the men's side we haven't caught up tactically and our a long ways away. On the women's side the tactical savvy of other countries is starting to catch up to our head start.

On both sides we need our athletes to become more soccer smart. That will occur as more and more youth and kids programs are actually taught by increasingly savvy coaches as opposed to dad's who may or may not have watched a series of VHS tapes in the 90s on how soccer is played and believe that the best way to teach soccer is to make kids run laps and practice shooting.

woacfan

I agree with your assessment.  Do you see it as a problem with leadership or the need to build a soccer culture.  My experience has been that leadership perpetuates the athleticism over skill.  You see young players who have great skills, but they seem -often- to get passed over by physical players with less skill.  I don't think its a coincidence that Rapinoe was the best player on the pitch in game 1.  She's probably our most skilled player.

jknezek

Quote from: woacfan on June 10, 2015, 08:35:23 PM
I agree with your assessment.  Do you see it as a problem with leadership or the need to build a soccer culture.  My experience has been that leadership perpetuates the athleticism over skill.  You see young players who have great skills, but they seem -often- to get passed over by physical players with less skill.  I don't think its a coincidence that Rapinoe was the best player on the pitch in game 1.  She's probably our most skilled player.

It's a development issue. The best way to field a travel team or even a college team that wins is to have the most athletic kids. The best way to win at the highest professional levels is not always the best athletes. I would almost guarantee you David Beckham as a child does not make a state select travel team as a kid in the U.S. He was much too slow and his skills wouldn't impress in those 2 day tryouts. Even Messi would struggle in the American youth development system. Not because he isn't or wasn't the best player on the field, but because we emphasized the wrong things. His size would have gotten him cut an awful lot from elite programs here. Fortunately it is changing. Coaches now actually understand the game instead of being a random father spending time with his kids. So quality is being recognized instead of just physical attributes.

Unfortunately college soccer in this country often doesn't help. The limited practice and season time means that the best way a coach can win is not necessarily by having the most skilled team, or by having a team that works together. There isn't enough time to actually make a college team based on skilled players and soccer IQ gel. So generally the teams with the best athletes win. Watch some PDL games and you will see the same thing. Short seasons, no team consistency or chemistry = athletic kick and run teams having success. Long term building and talent development like happens in more established soccer countries means athletic is still incredibly important, but it can be balanced by soccer IQ.

We have to get to the same point where we aren't valuing the fastest sprinter, but the most purposeful on his runs. We don't worry about the most physically imposing player, but the one who makes the best decisions.

woacfan

USA manages a draw with Sweden.
They owned the second half but could not finish.   The back line looked strong.   The substitutions seemed to weaken the midfield.  Rapinoe and Johnston looked great.  Klingenberg made a game saving header.

Can they take the group with a win over Nigeria? 

woacfan

USA have struggled and yet their destiny is in their hands.  A win and they take the group,  a tie and they go through.

jknezek

Very uninspiring. I'm glad they are through, won the group, yada, yada but I feel like they just aren't there. Nothing clicks up front. Very disjointed and hard to watch for a WC favorite.

woacfan

This team is short on finishers.  One problem I've noticed is their stubborn commitment to serving the ball to Wambach.  She is 37, and although still a great leader and veteran, not the guaranteed goal machine she once was.  They need to have a more diversified attack.  We're starting to see some flashes of pre-injury Alex Morgan.  They need to get her going if they want to push through....

FCGrizzliesGrad

As far as I can tell the only ref from the US at World Cup is Margaret Domka... who was an all-american at Stevens Point in 2000.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Gray Fox

The announcers seem to be in the middle of the crowd.  It is hard to hear what they are saying.
Fierce When Roused

woacfan

Great fact FC Grizzlies Dad!
That was an ugly win if there ever was one!
US needs to develop an offense that doesn't completely involve Wambach;  she's too old to be the centerpiece of the attack.  Watching the game, I wondered if Klinnsmann would have jettisoned her the way he did Landon Donovan?
I still love Abby, but she isn't the same player any more and the USA needs more diversity in their attack....anyway,  have tickets for Ottawa Friday!  Anyone else going?

jknezek

Another ugly win. Extremely unimpressed with the U.S. attack. It lacks creativity, cohesiveness, even individual performance of any kind is missing. Complete reliance on long balls and physical play. It's like watching a college team, and that's not necessarily a compliment. Abby is a tree. Most people think being like an Oak is a compliment. It's not. She has lost her mobility and serving long balls to her and crosses isn't working. The few creative talents are being stifled in this system. The midfield looks lost.

At least the back line is holding up, but that's easy to do when you don't have to build from the back or come forward to help in attack. Coke bottles lined up inside the 50 when the team is attacking is a bush league tactic. Booming the ball long or out of bounds is the best a h.s. team can do, not our national team.

Jill Ellis has taken this team backward tactically. I fully expect them to get past China on the strength of their defense and superior athletes. After that? A decent skilled, physically gifted team should take them apart if they don't improve drastically.

The Algarve Cup results of the last couple years have told the story. Someone needs to start teaching girls at a young age to play soccer, not to run a track meet with the biggest foot. The developmental squads in European leagues are going to permanently leapfrog us in a short time. The failure of a women's professional soccer league to take root, make money, and support development will soon take the U.S. out of the top tier of women's soccer.

woacfan

Couldn't agree more.  I think their dependence on Wambach is telling. 
I am not a huge fan of target forwards because they lead to a one dimensional attack.  The whole offense is geared to serving the ball into the stud player.  Abby is too old to for that role.  In fact,  in the Columbia game she was a detriment.  I love all that she has given to the team, but they have to move beyond that game if they are going to remain dominant.

The foot skills are lacking compared to other teams.  I think Columbia showed that last night.

I do disagree with one point.  I think that the failure to develop better players is not a gender issue, but an American soccer issue.  I've addressed this before and gotten "smited" for my thoughts, but if you look at ODP the coaches have a love affair with big physical players even when their football skills are lacking.  Physicality is great when matched with football skills,  alone it only takes you so far.  Its a problem with both the men's and women's game.

Here's hoping for some creativity!  We'll be at Landsdowne screaming our heads off for USA regardless!