NESCAC 2015

Started by Giggs, August 30, 2015, 01:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2xfaux

I am not sure what to make of the Williams/Midd game.  I know the Midd goals came late but it does look like Williams was really out played??  As a side note with all the hard, hard work these kids do it is kind of sad to see the attendance at 75.  I know it was Tuesday at 3 PM but still kind of a bummer.

Ocean 1

Watching the video, Williams just looked 'off' and of course Midd did a wonderful job holding them in check. Perhaps this was just the wake-up call they needed...that and Audrey Thomas looked like she was rounding back into form.

Ocean 1

Nice upset by Midd at Amherst. Next game between Williams and Midd should be a good one and a reversal of the recent result at Midd last week I would think.

Ocean 1

Predictions for NESCAC Championship:

Williams over Midd
Bowdoin over Trinity
Williams over Bowdoin

Ocean 1

Exceptional prognostication Ocean 1!

nescac1

Haha, well-done!  Congrats to the Ephs on securing the title that eluded them last year.  The Ephs haven't really been dominating, and the team is actually probably a year away from peaking (only three seniors play substantial roles, none of them as major scorers), but they can certainly beat anyone in the tourney.  Obviously something is not right physically with Audrey Thomas ... she missed the first round NESCAC game, came off the bench in the last two, and hasn't been her usual explosive offense force for quite some time.  The Ephs will have to hope she can round back into top form with another week of practice to help add some more finishing punch up top. The good news is that two frosh strikers have been earning more time, and playing productive minutes, up front in Thomas' absence, enhancing the team's depth of options on offense going forward.   

amh63

Seems the Amherst team will host and play in a NCAA regional site.  Particulars on the Amherst athletic website.

Ocean 1

Williams and Amherst hosting NCAA 1st round action...Bowdoin visiting Steven's.

P'bearfan

Good luck to the Bowdoin women's soccer team as the take on JHU in the NCAA tournament.

Giggs

Sweep for the NESCAC teams and Bowdoin puts the winner in with less than 1 minute left.

Ocean 1

And then there was one...NESCAC team left in the tournament. Nice job by the Lady Ephs...two 3-0 decisions vs. Westfield State and TCNJ.

nescac1

Good to see Williams dominate the weekend.  Thomas seems to have some sort of physical ailment (as always, unreported) as she only played one of the two games, and off the bench in that game.  She hasn't scored for a long time and clearly is not herself, not sure exactly what the issue it.  Albaneze who was having a big frosh year before an ACL tear has picked up the slack in recent games, perhaps she is now just about all the way fully back from her injury, which has provided a needed boost to the offense.  Still, now that the competition is truly elite (Stevens and likely William Smith are both very powerful teams, Williams will not be a clear favorite vs. either and probably an underdog vs. William Smith) the Ephs could certainly use some scoring punch from a healthier Thomas!   

Ocean 1

No doubt and concur with your assessment nescac1.

The game announcer this weekend mentioned several times that Thomas was suffering from a lingering hamstring injury. Hamstrings take a while to heal completely so any time on the field she is seeing is probably an opportunity to round into soccer shape again.

nescac1

Thanks for the info, Ocean 1.  Hammies are indeed tough injuries, especially for a player who relies on explosive speed and quickness like Thomas.  If she can get back to 100 percent that would be huge for the Ephs. 

I find it strange how injuries are basically never discussed, at least in-season, by either Sports Info or the college newspaper (for example Albaneze's torn ACL last year was never mentioned until, I believe, this year) ... not sure if this is some sort of college policy, but I'm not the only one who has noticed:

http://williamsrecord.com/2015/11/11/letter-to-the-editor-on-the-importance-of-acknowledging-injuries/

Ocean 1

Quote from: nescac1 on November 17, 2015, 10:35:02 AM
Thanks for the info, Ocean 1.  Hammies are indeed tough injuries, especially for a player who relies on explosive speed and quickness like Thomas.  If she can get back to 100 percent that would be huge for the Ephs. 

I find it strange how injuries are basically never discussed, at least in-season, by either Sports Info or the college newspaper (for example Albaneze's torn ACL last year was never mentioned until, I believe, this year) ... not sure if this is some sort of college policy, but I'm not the only one who has noticed:

http://williamsrecord.com/2015/11/11/letter-to-the-editor-on-the-importance-of-acknowledging-injuries/

Nescac 1...I strongly suspect this non-disclosure has to do with the College's obligation to protect student privacy rights.