Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

Magicman...you are a generous man :)....who seems to stay up very, very late!

Amherst won today against Bowdoin at home in both the men's and women's a games.
The lady Jeff's beat the lady bears 11-5; while The Lord Jeff's won over the Polar Bears 13-6.  In the men's game, Bowdoin scored the first and last goal...early and late.  It was 6-2 at the half.  In the women's game, I believe Amherst lead all the way...got online after the game had started.

Maybe I will have my daughter take my grand daughter to watch Cortland State play sometime...being the No.1 team :)....Amherst seems to have moved up to No. 2 While having lost to no.5 Trinity.
Daughter lives in the Village of Groton..." Just down the street"  from Cortland...15 minutes away with no traffic. Son-in law wants his daughter to take an interest in a Team Sport.

Vandy...thanks for the background info wrt to Colby associate coach.  Will relate a story about the friendship between the Head Football Coach at Bowdoin and HBC Hixon...in another post.

Vandy74

Quote from: magicman on April 26, 2014, 04:57:22 AM
Quote from: Vandy74 on April 11, 2014, 02:36:37 AM

Hey Vandy,
Not sure if you spotted this but Carroll University located in Waukesha, Wisconsin and currently a member of the Midwest Conference, has decide to join the CCIW conference as a full member for the 2016-17 season. It is anticipated that they will become an associate member in Women's Lacrosse in 2015-16, one year before they become a full member of the CCIW. They currently do not have a Men's or Women's Lacrosse team but will be adding both for the 2014-15 season. Here is a link to the full press release that was posted on the MWC Basketball board. It's the 3rd post on the page. The 2nd post on the page also has a link to the breaking news.

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4558.13380

Plus K as usual for the fine job you do here. And a plus K to my friend from the DC area, amh63 as well. I got you over the 400 mark and amh63 over the 300 mark in the past few days. ;D 8-)

Magicman,

NCF had already alerted me to Carroll's decision to return to the CCIW but thanks for the link supplying further info.  Women's lacrosse is going to be very strong in the CCIW next season with three schools having developed highly competitive programs in a short period of time.  My enthusiasm has been dampened a bit by Middlebury's loss to Colby this afternoon.  The Panthers led 6-0 early in the 1st half but from that point on seemed like a different team going on to lose 11-10.  The White Mules had defeated Middlebury a week ago but that Panther squad was playing without two key players.  No such excuses today however.  Colby is having a somewhat down year, by their standards, record-wise and is clearly better than the wins and losses tally would indicate.  They were certainly the better team today. :(

With Plattsburgh not fielding a women's lacrosse team I assume you are supporting SUNYAC power Cortland as the season winds down.  The #1 Lady Red Dragons are the best team I've seen play (vs Midd and Salisbury) this season. 

Thanks for the +K.  Your always knowledgeable posts have earned a few from me as well since I became eligible to give as well as receive. ;)

magicman

Vandy,

Yes I will be rooting for the Cortland Women to continue to stretch that unbeaten streak right into a National Championship. I don't understand why Plattsburgh doesn't field a Women's team. They are the only SUNYAC school to not have a women's lacrosse team.

The Plattsburgh Men's Lacrosse team won a pair of games this past week to end the regular season with a 12-5 record and the 3rd seed in the SUNYAC playoffs. The top 4 teams made the playoffs and we travel to Potsdam on Wednesday to take on the Bears. The Cortland men mimicked the Cortland women and finished the regular season as the top seed. They will host the 4th seed, Oneonta, on Wednesday.

Plattsburgh's 12-5 record was a decent season for the Cardinals but was somewhat of a heartbreaker as the 5 losses were by a total of 6 goals. Cards lost to Cortland 11-10, Potsdam 8-7, Connecticut College 8-7, and RPI 11-10. Only Middlebury beat the Cards by more than a single goal as we lost to your Panthers by a 9-7 score. Several of those losses came in the final minute also. I'm hopeful we can turn the tables on Potsdam on Wednesday but fear that Cortland down there might be too tough, although that earlier 11-10 loss was in Cortland. The Potsdam loss was on the road as well but at least we know we can hang with both teams.

Thanks for the plus k.     

amh63

Magicman...your post answered a question I had....whether your Cardinals had any lacrosse teams.

Vandy...hope your Panther team makes a run into the post season.  Too much talent not to.

The Bowdoin's men's team has a Caputi playing defense...he is also the QB on the football team.  Seems the family has some athletes :)
Many years ago, when I was actually working and on a business trip to Pittsfield..GE plant there...I had some free time and went up to Willy Town to watch a basketball game.  Do not remember who the Ephs were playing, but did notice Coach Hixon watching the game from the entrance level walkway.  It was a long time ago for him to do his own scouting :). During halftime, I believe, a young lady came up to him and handed him a bag of popcorn...his presence was noticed and acknowledged.
It was only recently, in a conversation I had with Coach Hixon, I spoke to him about the popcorn...was it from Coach Sheely?   Coach Hixon smiled and said it was from his friend Caputi....who was an assistant coach at Williams at the time.  It seems that when they were both young, coaching at Amherst, they became friends.  Think that Caputi may have had a room at Hixon's house for awhile.
It seems that in the conference, there are many friendships/connections among the coaches...going now into another generation.
As you may be aware, I am enjoying some generational encounters.  The grand daughter of a classmate is on the WBB team at Amherst.  Oh yes...Tom Killian, the senior BB player has a brother on the lacrosse team...a freshman starter.  Hope you get the picture.  A DC classmate has two daughters that played Lacrosse at Amherst...about the time when my sons were there.

magicman

Plattsburgh State Men's Lacrosse team gained a measure of revenge over Potsdam State as they defeated the Bears in a semi-final game today 11-6 in the rain at Potsdam. Potsdam was the #2 seed and Plattsburgh was the #3 seed.

Top seed Cortland State, ranked #8 nationally, defeated the #4 seed Oneonta State by a 15-3 romp.  Cortland will host Plattsburgh for the SUNYAC Championship this Saturday, May 3rd with a time TBA. Cortland won the regular season meeting against Plattsburgh by an 11-10 score. Hoping the Cardinals can avenge that loss as well.

amh63

Magicman ....it is surprising that your Cardinals do not have a women team.  Considering the growing popularity of the sport and NY state being a source of fine players and teams.  Surely, Plattsburgh is a nicer school and town....to attract the talent. :)

magicman

Quote from: amh63 on May 01, 2014, 10:26:10 AM
Magicman ....it is surprising that your Cardinals do not have a women team.  Considering the growing popularity of the sport and NY state being a source of fine players and teams.  Surely, Plattsburgh is a nicer school and town....to attract the talent. :)

amh63.

Right now there are 7 Men's athletic teams at Plattsburgh State and there are 8 Women's athletic teams. I think in order to add Women's Lacrosse the administration would have to add another men's sport. Since they dropped Men's tennis and golf a number of years ago, due to budget concerns, I don't see them adding any new teams in the near future, unfortunately. This is the problem that state schools have, especially in NY, where in recent years the amount of state aid to local high school districts has been cut back and tax increases have been necessary to maintain the programs at those levels. Even with the tax increases, many high schools have had to cut some sports programs and music programs in order to get their budgets passed by the local residents in each school district. Funding to all the colleges in the State University system has taken a hit as well. New York State was not in great financial shape a few years ago and it has affected all of the educational institutions regardless of the level.   

So I don't think it's a recruiting problem, it's a financial problem that is keeping the college from fielding a Women's Lacrosse team. What I don't understand is why Plattsburgh is the only school in the 10 member SUNYAC conference that seems to be getting the short end of the stick. If all the other SUNYAC schools are fielding a team in Women's Lacrosse, I find it hard to understand why the state and the college can't come up with a plan to introduce that sport here in Plattsburgh for the women.         

magicman

Cortland State Men defeat the Plattsburgh State Men by the identical score of their regular season meeting, 11-10, to win the SUNYAC Championship. Another tough 1 goal road loss for the Cardinals.

amh63

It was a good day for Amherst lacrosse in Melford and Hartford .  The men's' team beat the 2nd see Cardinals...for the second time this season...12-8.  Will meet Tufts for the title on Sunday.
The women's' team beat Williams again 9-4, I believe.  The Lady Jeff's hope to beat the Bantams for the title.. Tough task..on Sunday to pay back Trinity for their only loss this season.

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on May 03, 2014, 06:14:14 PM
It was a good day for Amherst lacrosse in Melford and Hartford .  The men's' team beat the 2nd see Cardinals...for the second time this season...12-8.  Will meet Tufts for the title on Sunday.
The women's' team beat Williams again 9-4, I believe.  The Lady Jeff's hope to beat the Bantams for the title.. Tough task..on Sunday to pay back Trinity for their only loss this season.

I watched the 2nd half.  I was surprised how close it was since I really don't think Williams is as good as this season's record would indicate.  The Lady Jeffs finally found their rhythm toward the end and put the game away decisively.  Agreed, beating Trinity is no small chore.  I will remain neutral on tomorrow's contest.  Two generations of family ties with one school.  Friends since childhood ties with the coach of the other.  Am I correct amh63 that Amherst has never won the NESCAC tournament in women's lax?  I think that's what the announcer of today's game said.  If so perhaps I'll root to see that happen.  Both teams are heading to the Big Dance I suspect. 

Vandy74

Congratulations to NCAA tournament bound Denison and Augustana.  Denison came back from a 12-7 deficit with 22 minutes remaining to beat top seeded Wittenberg 16-12 and win the NCAC championship.  Augustana, who along with highly competitive programs at North Central and Carthage leave the MWLC next season and give the CCIW immediate credibility, showed why they are among the 6 teams also receiving votes in the regular season ending Top 20 coach's poll by handling Carthage 17-11.  Wittenberg was also on that 6 team list.  Denison came out of the 3rd seed to pull the upset.  It will be Denison's 16th NCAA appearance.  Augustana, in only their 3rd season of intercollegiate competition qualifies for the NCAA for the second time. :o  These two teams met in the regular season with Augustana eking out a 15-14 victory.  There is some very good women's lacrosse being played in the Midwest and it's only going to get better.  The sport is growing rapidly.  Hopefully a growth in fan interest will join the ride. 

amh63

Vandy....according to the writeup...it is the LJs first title contest since 2005....guess that is a long time for the announcer :).  Amherst.s head coach who has been at Amherst for 20 years was only voted Coach of the year for the first time!   Considering that Amherst won a national title and battled the Panthers in title games, etc., nothing surprises me in conference voting.  On the men's team a senior player who has been a star for Amherst, was not even voted on any conference team...he got some satisfaction by scoring three goals against the Cardinals yesterday.
Also it is interesting that the Trinity "mat/field" needs to be replaced,IMO.....saw a number of players slipping during the game.
Oh yes, there is a tennis title battle between Amherst and Middlebury...men's tennis.  The Panthers upset the Jeff's during the regular season :).

Sidelight to the women's game....Trinity has a tri-captain player from Longmeadow, Ma....an attack player that scored 2 goals yesterday.  Her sister is a FY player on the Amherst team at the same position.  Wonder which team their parents will be rooting for.  Same question arose in football...where there have been star players playing for opposite teams.

amh63

Amherst's men made a better try against Tufts this time but lost at Tufts 20-13.  It was only a one goal difference at the half.  The earlier lost to the Jumbos was 25-12 and it was not even close  at any time.  Here' s hoping both meet in the national title game :)

The women's team loses by three again to Trinity in a higher scoring game in Hartford...10-7.   Amherst had it's chances but could not beat Trinity's fine goalie....three times in the 2nd half in a one one  shot attempt, Amherst was stopped.  Too many fast break attempts were stopped by TOs and bad decisions, IMO.  It was not to be today.  go Jeff's.

Amherst was competing for 4 conference titles this Sunday.  The women's tennis team wins one over Williams...the national title holder.  The win was the 2nd one over the Ephs this Spring.
The men's' tennis team should win over the Panthers soon, for the other title...3-0 lead after doubles and leading in all 6 single matches....sorry about my confidence Vandy :).

Vandy74

A bit of a surprise tonight.  It was a given that NESCAC teams Trinity and Amherst would receive bids and I expected a Colby team that came on strong toward the end of the season to be included as well.  Watching the selection program I wasn't happy to see Williams make the list because they were the 4th conference  team which I assumed would be the limit.  Middlebury, however, is in as well.  Talent-wise there is no question that they are capable of going to the Final Four but you still have to put up the W's and a string of untimely injuries and illnesses the second half of the season resulted in a Panther squad that seemed to lose it's focus.  Their omission from this year's tournament would have been disappointing for the coaches, players and fans but by no means hard to understand.  With the rapid growth of the sport there are only so many bids to go around.  Middlebury hosts Endicott on Saturday, a team they had best not take lightly since they have a common regular season opponent in Bates College who lost by a single goal to each of them. 

Vandy74

Congratulations to Denison whose men's and women's teams (like Cortland) both received NCAA tournament berths.  Lacrosse is a relatively new sport in the midwest but Denison, especially the men's team, has been playing as long if not longer than any school in the northeast.  Denison has played in the Final Four.  This season they might do it again as they enter the tournament with a 17-0 record and a #4 national ranking.  It will be their 25th NCAA appearance.  The women are going for the 16th time having defeated top-seeded Wittenberg 16-12 to win the NCAC tournament and sport a 13-4 record of their own.  Best of luck to both.