BB: LEC: Little East Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, February 11, 2006, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Welcome to the Baseball Message Board for the Little East Conference (LEC).

ECSUalum

Ralph,

Good to see a LEC site.  I have just registered and have been reading the messages over the DIII Baseball tournament including the CWS,  Seems a lot of discussion on Chapman.  Will try to provide some insight into LEC teams in general and ECSU baseball.

Bostonian

I saw ECSU this year. They were strong...maybe not as imposing as in year's past, but still very good. They had alot of pitching depth (which probably won them the NY regional), but noone that stood out like Serfass or Dipietro. I think they had a young pitching staff.

Their first 4 hitters were all impressive, but I think the top 3 guys were all seniors.

I also saw UMassDartmouth, and they were young and way down from years' past. I know So. Maine and Keene St. had pretty good years, but I didn't see them.

ECSUalum

Hello Jumbo Fan,

I think you describe ECSU accurately, Certainly missed DiPietro this year, probabl;y could add 8-10 more wins if he piched his senior year.  But Coach Holowaty has some good freshman in Giblair and Jagodzinski.

They will miss DeSantis and Garofolo's bats in '07

Thanks for the response

Bostonian

They'll miss Sullivan, too...he was a real good leadof guy...saw alot of pitches, spryed it around...tough out.

Also, Mehrback was hurt for most of the year, and he never got back his form from last year...

ECSUalum

Yes, and with these guys go a lot of experience.

How would you rank the LEC/NESCAC conferences vs the rest of the country.  LEC has 2-3 strong every year, NESCAC ,I would say can compete very well.  NEWMAC has Wheaton , but thats about it.

Nationally I see NJAC,OAC,WIAC as some of the Conferences that seem to historically place 1st, 2nd, or third in the CWS

Bostonian

The NESCAC and the LE are the top dogs of the Northeast. i would guess the NESCAC is a little stronger because of the depth. Aftger ECSU and So. Maine, there is a pretty significant dropoff, although Keene St. is showing alot of life.

in the NESCAC, Trinity made the CWS last year and Amherst beat them 3 out of 5 times. This year, Mid and Bowdoin made the NCAAs, and Tufts and Williams were very close to getting there. The two best teams from last year, Amherst and Trinity, didn't even make the league tourney.

What separates these 2 leagues to the top leagues in the country is the bottom teams. Colby, Bates, Hamilton, Plymouth St., Western CT, and UMass-D really brought the eagues down this year. The bottom of the NJAC, USA South, and other top leagues are much more competetive.

Jcon2134

I am letting you all know in advance WATCH OUT for the Beacons of Umass boston this year they have it all the hitting the pitching with defending LEC POTY Nick Conway who with any other team hi record would have been 8 or 9 and 2
They have thee entire lineup coming back plus the addition of power hitter jose morales who was sidelined last year with a torn hamstring and if Jaimie soto piches the way that he can this team has the potiental to take the cofrence they were 7-7 last year they lost 4 one run games 2 heartbreakers to RIC a  2 9th inning rallys by KSU They have all the tools to take this confrence by storm

dgilblair

Quote from: Jcon2134 on November 08, 2006, 11:08:21 PM
I am letting you all know in advance WATCH OUT for the Beacons of Umass boston this year they have it all the hitting the pitching with defending LEC POTY Nick Conway who with any other team hi record would have been 8 or 9 and 2
They have thee entire lineup coming back plus the addition of power hitter jose morales who was sidelined last year with a torn hamstring and if Jaimie soto piches the way that he can this team has the potiental to take the cofrence they were 7-7 last year they lost 4 one run games 2 heartbreakers to RIC a  2 9th inning rallys by KSU They have all the tools to take this confrence by storm

I think your correct.  I saw Conway pitch last year and was very impressed.  He could have a big year and they should make some noise in the LEC

BigPoppa

If you had to build an all-time team from each conference school, who makes the cut for each school?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

kscer

Quote from: dgilblair on January 13, 2007, 03:01:24 PM
Quote from: Jcon2134 on November 08, 2006, 11:08:21 PM

I think your correct.  I saw Conway pitch last year and was very impressed.  He could have a big year and they should make some noise in the LEC
UMass Boston is the sleeper in the LEC. Are they deep enough to support a quality pitcher through the LEC schedule?

dgilblair

I'm tell ya, there could be alot of surprises this year in the LEC. Plymouth St. has a couple pitchers that can be big guys.  Jim VanGyzen, Chip Hale can can throw jems at any time, they have some tools.  I think a lot of games in the LEC will come down to who can get the key hit.....Dah, thats probably the case in most conferences.  But top to bottom the teams in the LEC could be splitin games on weekends and make for an interesting regular season.  Pitching depth will win the tourney and some won't match up well for that.

wordsmith

LEC in 2007 comes down to this. Southern Maine, EConn, UmassB, KSC**.
Southern Maine will be strong, Handy is a great addition as well as several new freshmen. EConn will be there at the end as always. UMB has a good club. So it comes down to KSC

**Keene State could be very good or very bad this year. They have a lot of talent. Can the staff get the talent all going in the same direction is the question.

USM            12-2 ???
EConn        11-3 ???
KSC             10-4
UMB             10-4
doesn't matter after that ???
Word

Bob Maxwell

Based on those numbers, the other four teams only win a combined 13 games?  That seems a little extreme... even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then.

I guess it could happen...

Paul Heering

Bob, check out the standings last year. wordsmith's prediction doesn't vary that much from last year.

Southern Maine 11-3
Keene State 11-3
Eastern Connecticut 8-6
Rhode Island College 8-6
UMass Boston 7-7
UMass Dartmouth 5-9
Western Connecticut 3-11
Plymouth State 3-11

wordsmith,
why do you say keen state could be very good or very bad?  i am not saying you are wrong for saying that but just interested in why you say that.