BB: 2013 Regionals (MIdwest)

Started by Ralph Turner, May 12, 2013, 11:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

voice

There was 7or 8 hit by pitch in the game. WW hit 5 and SP hit 2 or 3. SP got every base. WW didnt get any. Ump said WW batter leaned in, but SP looked to do same thing. Vo was thrown for comment walking away from ump after argument

I'm still scratching my head after watching last night's UWW-UWSP home plate umpire two hit by pitch situation by not awarding the batter first base.  He also overruled himself on another similar call on a SP batter by eventually awarding the Pointer batter 1st base following a discussion with Point's head coach.

The only other time I've witnessed a similar situation was in the 2007 WIAC Tournament when iconic UW-Oshkosh head coach Tom Lechnir had a similar conversation with the home plate umpire which led to three similar "no hit batter" calls in the game.

BTW... I received word this morning that last night's WIAC home plate umpire has received a Major League umpire contract offer because he possesses the traits needed to fit in with current Major League umpires.

Just Kidding! :)

mideastfan2

Good luck today CASE!! from the Marietta and other Mideast fans!

forheavendial4999

I've seen a hit by pitch called strike 3 before. Hit the guy on the top of the knee, ump said his knee was over the inside corner, rang him up.

Just Bill

For some reason, the hit by pitch thing sometimes seems to appear out of nowhere in the postseason. I've seen it pop up before in conference tournaments and regional tournaments. It feels like it's a rule largely ignored for much of the regular season, and then for whatever reason umpires begin enforcing it again. I don't know if conference commissioners or the NCAA reps make it a point of emphasis, but it's not the first time it's been an issue.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

OshDude

Quote from: Just Bill on May 17, 2013, 02:44:19 PM
For some reason, the hit by pitch thing sometimes seems to appear out of nowhere in the postseason. I've seen it pop up before in conference tournaments and regional tournaments. It feels like it's a rule largely ignored for much of the regular season, and then for whatever reason umpires begin enforcing it again. I don't know if conference commissioners or the NCAA reps make it a point of emphasis, but it's not the first time it's been an issue.
A HBP comes around to score the winning St. Scholastica run. Roberts and Zander plunked the first two batters of the 10th. St. Scholastica scored without a hit.

CSS had to knock on wood that it could get through the meat of the UWW lineup again. "Beat It" wasn't the lucky charm, but KLF ends up rockin' home the clincher. CSS finally scales Mount Whitewater at a regional. Cue Piano Man.

OshDude

Twitter says Franz is starting for UST today. That was my guess too. The idea isn't to get to the next game. The idea is to win the regional. The best chance St. Thomas has of winning the regional is with Thomas facing Stevens Point. I'm assuming Thomas would be first out of the pen should Case run out front.

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: Ricky Nelson on May 17, 2013, 04:13:57 PM
Twitter says Franz is starting for UST today. That was my guess too. The idea isn't to get to the next game. The idea is to win the regional. The best chance St. Thomas has of winning the regional is with Thomas facing Stevens Point. I'm assuming Thomas would be first out of the pen should Case run out front.
you are correct.  Assuming UST gets past Case & Thomas leads them to a W over UWSP in Sat's first game, I expect a "piching committee"- Danzyk, Maher and whomever Olean feels is hot to go in the 2nd game tomorrow (lot of assumptions there, I know)
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

BaseballFan

Things would get really interesting if CSS gets past USP tonight

OshDude

Quote from: BaseballFan on May 17, 2013, 04:28:10 PM
Things would get really interesting if CSS gets past USP tonight
I'm all for things getting interesting.

ShineTime

What would be better is if st Thomas chokes and loses to case.
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

OshDude

Quote from: ShineTime on May 17, 2013, 05:52:45 PM
What would be better is if st Thomas chokes and loses to got outplayed by case.
Fixed it for you. I think you spelled some of those words incorrectly.

Congrats to Case.

voice

Final Score from WW Regional:

Case Western 7, St. Thomas 3

badgerwarhawk

That didn't work out too well for the Tommies.  Case 7  UST 3
Now you explain how you get eliminated and you used your All American 1 meaningless inning.   Ouch
"Just think twice is my only advice."

ShineTime

It's flat out embarrassing they didn't use him its not like point and scholastica are bringing all Americans to the mound.  The second they knew they were in for a game Thomas should've had the ball.  Lets hope point can get it done now wounldnt be bad for attendance either at appleton
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

username

That's just dumb