The Basketball Tournament

Started by Greek Tragedy, June 06, 2018, 03:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordonmann

I looked at the Elam Ending in that game as an argument against using it more broadly. We Are D3 cut the deficit from six points to three points. When Boeheim's Army scored the winning basket, the game was even closer.

If the game had been allowed to go the full length, wouldn't that have conceivably allowed at least one more position to tie the game?

Pat Coleman

I think what you describe, though, is exactly what the proponents of the Elam Ending want -- to give the trailing team a legitimate path to rallying to win the game, rather than the parade of foul shots which is unlikely to do anything but bore the audience.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ronk

Jeff Gibbs, former member of the D3 entry in the TBT, was a starter on this year's winner - Carmine's Crew.

Gregory Sager

Not bad for a guy who's, what, about 38 years old or so by now?
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Gregory Sager on August 09, 2019, 10:27:54 PM
Not bad for a guy who's, what, about 38 years old or so by now?

I believe he's 39.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

WUPHF

I am not sure if others are interested in discussing the tournament, but just in case...

The TBT will feature two teams with Division III players as far as I know.

We Are D3 is back as the most notable representative of Division III basketball.

The Nerd Team will be coached by Aaron Toomey, but as far as I can tell, is mostly Ivy League players this season.

New to the field is Da Guys out of St. Louis which will feature an Emory alum and I believe a Fontbonne alum though I have not seen the final roster.

There may be others as well.

y_jack_lok

Greek Tragedy

Aside from TBT, are there any former D3 players on any NBA summer league rosters? Maybe we should open up (or combine) a thread dedicated to players after their D3 careers. That might be cool to see where former stars like Aston Francis, Ty Sabin and the like are doing nowadays. Maybe we can keep track of Ryan Turell's exploits. Maybe, as a group, we can keep track of players playing on local G-League teams.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on July 09, 2022, 05:49:20 AM
Aside from TBT, are there any former D3 players on any NBA summer league rosters? Maybe we should open up (or combine) a thread dedicated to players after their D3 careers. That might be cool to see where former stars like Aston Francis, Ty Sabin and the like are doing nowadays. Maybe we can keep track of Ryan Turell's exploits. Maybe, as a group, we can keep track of players playing on local G-League teams.

Saw this on Twitter. If I've seen it then I imagine many others have as well. Not sure if this is summer league or not.
https://twitter.com/D3Direct/status/1545083708906131460

SpringSt7

It's a shame Demers' Gordon team never got a chance to make any real noise in the NCAA tournament. Their best year, 2018-19 they went 23-5 but lost to Nichols, who would play in the Elite 8, in the conference championship game. Other than Aston Francis there hasn't been another scorer like him in recent history but he never really got his moment and just becomes one of those great D3 players that just kind of gets lost in the shuffle. Glad he is getting some shine now.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

As he'll tell you, Demers really developed a lot over his time at Gordon.  It was really only in his senior year, when they needed him to pretty much score all the points that he was able to do it.  Very few guys can step up like that - nearly all his numbers improved with volume.  That team really didn't have much around him, though, which always makes it difficult to properly judge someone at this level.  I'm sure if you watched him, you'd know, but it's tough to find time to watch a mediocre Gordon team when there's so much going on.

He's definitely someone who probably got short shrift in terms of attention, which makes it all the more exciting that he's getting it now on a bigger stage!

WUPHF

The Tournament was the first I had heard of Eric Demers to be honest.  The We Are D3 team struggled with shot selection, but Demers played fearlessly and had a phenomenal game.  I am glad to see him back.

Greek Tragedy

Another guy who fits into that category with Demers is Ripon's Ty Sabin. Pure scorer on a mediocre Ripon team. They made the NCAA tournament once and went one and done vs Wash U. I thought I read an article in the past where Sabin has lead 3 different leagues in scoring in 3 consecutive years. I also read he played on the We Are D3 team as well, but I didn't see him on that roster this year.

Any word on Aston Francis?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on July 10, 2022, 07:03:02 AM
Another guy who fits into that category with Demers is Ripon's Ty Sabin. Pure scorer on a mediocre Ripon team. They made the NCAA tournament once and went one and done vs Wash U. I thought I read an article in the past where Sabin has lead 3 different leagues in scoring in 3 consecutive years. I also read he played on the We Are D3 team as well, but I didn't see him on that roster this year.

Any word on Aston Francis?

Sabin was/is a truly extraordinary talent. He had the misfortune to graduate the same year as Joey Flannery. He was one of the most complete players I've seen in d3. A guard with decent size, quickness to get to the rim, and a good shooting touch. No surprise he's succeeding as a pro.

It's at least three leagues he's led in scoring. I'm not sure he'll be able to defend well enough to get to the highest levels in Europe, but he's doing very well for himself.

WUPHF

The latest Q-Cast with Bob Quillman and the Mike Rejniak.  Well worth the time even for those who have no plans to watch the game or follow the tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u76vgDSnNw&t=1s