FB: Midwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

I'm quite sure Monmouth is the best team in the South Division and certainly the second-best team in the conference as well, but Monmouth appears to have a lot of holes to fill, including the entire starting defensive line, 95% of the passing yards, etc.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

WW

Quote from: gbpuckfan on August 10, 2019, 05:46:13 PM
Quote from: WW on August 08, 2019, 03:29:41 PM
Check you out, SNC! First preseason Top 25 ranking for the MWC since 2010. #respect

That is nice. Coming off a playoff win certainly helps, I'm sure. As does having the starting quarterback coming back.

Interesting that SNC got only six more points than Monmouth in the conference poll. and the Scots didn't even get one 25th place vote.

I wonder if some of it indeed some respect for SNC, and some is -"Who else made the playoffs last year?" or "Who is the best team in the MWC? I'll put them in at 22nd."

SNC averaged about the 22nd team on every ballot - obviously could have been higher on some, not included at all on others. And that doesn't leave much room for a second MWC team.

On the bright side, SNC was higher than all but one WIAC school, which is nice. Not sure that's particularly realistic on the field but I'll take it.

Rhodes is back? Had thought he graduated. I wasn't a fan early in the season, just seemed incapable of getting the ball to the all-America wideout. But the coaching staff sure worked a plan to his strength, which is tuck it and go. That kid is a winner and tough as nails.

I noted the WIAC comparison too. Interesting matchup in week 2 vs UWEC... last year the blugolds won in OT

fulbakdad

Check in day for Lake Forest.  Future looking good!

gbpuckfan

Rhodes graduated. My bad. 

I misread the roster... My apologies.
St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

WW

Quote from: gbpuckfan on August 12, 2019, 11:30:38 AM

No problem, puck. They had a pile of young QBs on the roster last year, and I heard some transfer chatter. Should be interesting to see who shows up this week (presuming they open camp?) and who takes the reins. Sounds like Ripon will have a pretty healthy QB scrum happening, too.

gbpuckfan

Quote from: WW on August 12, 2019, 12:28:22 PM
Quote from: gbpuckfan on August 12, 2019, 11:30:38 AM

No problem, puck. They had a pile of young QBs on the roster last year, and I heard some transfer chatter. Should be interesting to see who shows up this week (presuming they open camp?) and who takes the reins. Sounds like Ripon will have a pretty healthy QB scrum happening, too.

I believe practice starts Thursday.
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

hazzben

Quote from: gbpuckfan on August 10, 2019, 05:46:13 PM
Quote from: WW on August 08, 2019, 03:29:41 PM
Check you out, SNC! First preseason Top 25 ranking for the MWC since 2010. #respect

That is nice. Coming off a playoff win certainly helps, I'm sure. As does having the starting quarterback coming back.

Interesting that SNC got only six more points than Monmouth in the conference poll. and the Scots didn't even get one 25th place vote.

I wonder if some of it indeed some respect for SNC, and some is -"Who else made the playoffs last year?" or "Who is the best team in the MWC? I'll put them in at 22nd."

SNC averaged about the 22nd team on every ballot - obviously could have been higher on some, not included at all on others. And that doesn't leave much room for a second MWC team.

On the bright side, SNC was higher than all but one WIAC school, which is nice. Not sure that's particularly realistic on the field but I'll take it.

Preseason polls are notoriously difficult. You're essentially looking at last seasons results, key returners, returning starters. Nothing new to anyone here, but doesn't surprise me SNC is getting love. For a voter trying to get a sense of all the teams in D3, SNC checks some boxes really quickly.

gbpuckfan

02 Warhawk

Let me know if anyone is interested in participating in this year's West Region Fan Poll. I'm looking for two (maybe three) participants.

Much appreciated

WW

Quote from: gbpuckfan on August 18, 2019, 04:43:09 PM
I guess SNC has as many as nine QB candidates.

Local media preview:
https://fox11online.com/sports/college/st-norbert-looking-to-build-off-success-in-2018

I don't think that's unusual. One or two will get hurt, one or two will realize football isn't for them, one or two will greyshirt when they see the writing on the wall re PT, one or two will change positions. End up with four or five on the official roster by season's start—a varsity starter and a primary backup, a JV starter and a primary backup.

I know nothing about the non-local QB recruits but a couple of the Wisconsin guys were pretty accomplished high-school players. SNC will put a quality (if inexperienced) quarterback on the field when all is said and done.

Pat Coleman

Plus, coaches will say they have nine quarterback candidates in order to be political and give lip service to the thought that everyone has a chance. But in reality, there are almost always three or fewer. Exceptions if you are a brand-new program.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

MUC57

Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 22, 2019, 04:23:48 PM
Plus, coaches will say they have nine quarterback candidates in order to be political and give lip service to the thought that everyone has a chance. But in reality, there are almost always three or fewer. Exceptions if you are a brand-new program.

Or Mount Union. We have 10!  ;D
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

WW

Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 22, 2019, 04:23:48 PM

Right. They'll have nine QBs at least till the tuition checks clear.  ;)

WW

Two games loom large opening weekend and could have plenty to say about eventual MWC playoff representation. One is Wheaton at Monmouth. Wheaton (32-7 winner last year) was 8-2 last season and just missed a pool C slot. The other is Wash U StL (24-17 winner last year) at Chicago. Wash U also a near playoff miss last year.

MWC getting two playoff representatives is always gonna be a long throw... but winning these two would be a major step toward opening that door.

gbpuckfan

Quote from: WW on September 03, 2019, 07:00:46 PM
Two games loom large opening weekend and could have plenty to say about eventual MWC playoff representation. One is Wheaton at Monmouth. Wheaton (32-7 winner last year) was 8-2 last season and just missed a pool C slot. The other is Wash U StL (24-17 winner last year) at Chicago. Wash U also a near playoff miss last year.

MWC getting two playoff representatives is always gonna be a long throw... but winning these two would be a major step toward opening that door.

For the MWC to get two teams, they would both need to go through the regular season undefeated, beat a ranked team from another conference along the way, the loser of the title games does so by one possession, the WIAC runnerup has at least two losses, the moon is in the house of Venus, a Canadian team needs to have won the previous Stanley Cup, the Lions and Browns have to have met in the most recent Super Bowl, Congress has passed a balanced budget - and, just maybe - the price of stamps has to go down.  ;D ;D ;D

Maybe getting the MWC winner to HOST a playoff game is a more reasonable goal....