NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maineman

Quote from: blooter442 on November 11, 2017, 10:35:00 PM
What is most frustrating about BoxCast is -- despite the Brandeis twitter account posting a link to the PK livestream in real time -- there is no way to watch a replay of it (which I would have liked, as I didn't get to see it). Not pleased.
If you can't run a credible live stream, you should be able to host.

blooter442

Quote from: maineman on November 11, 2017, 10:50:00 PM
If you can't run a credible live stream, you should be able to host.

Think you meant "shouldn't." ;) I am an admittedly biased Brandeis alum, and will say that they have done a fine job in the past (prior to using this streaming service), but I don't disagree with the sentiment -- it was not good enough for games of this magnitude.

Mr.Right

So against Williams in the Nescac Quarters in which Bowdoin WON in PK's...Wiercinski sent up Ward, McColl, MacMillian, Niang and Oliver in that order..All made except Macmillian...Tonight he sends up Morant 1st? , Ward, McColl, Niang and Hermann?? That is so odd..I mean why switch 2 kickers out and the order? Makes absolutely no sense...

Mr.Right

Bowdoin will lose Van Siclien, Ward, Bubb and Ellsworth..That is a big bite out of their back 4 and in net. I assume McColl will move to CB but he will need to find a GK and frankly a couple more creative players to complement their size

SoccerMom_5

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 11, 2017, 11:00:10 PM
Bowdoin will lose Van Siclien, Ward, Bubb and Ellsworth..That is a big bite out of their back 4 and in net. I assume McColl will move to CB but he will need to find a GK and frankly a couple more creative players to complement their size
Quote from: Mr.Right on November 11, 2017, 10:21:45 PM
Morant, Ward and Herman all miss and Bowdoin is cooked...Honestly, I do not remember Herman or Morant taking PK's against Williams in the Nescac Quarters...Strange stuff

They werent on the field at the end of the game vs Williams.  I could be wrong, but it seems like it was Oliver, Niang, and Stenquist, MacMillan, and Byrd in the midfield  v. Williams at the end of OT. 
Then you had Bubb, Ward, Long, and McColl in back.  I think Masterson was up top.

You have to shoot with whomever was on the field at the end of time. 

PaulNewman

The above is false. You do not have to be on the field at the end of the game.

SoccerMom_5

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 11, 2017, 10:12:52 PM
Typical Bowdoin match...They will do it to anyone...3 SOG for Bowdoin and RUN each in 110 minutes

My goodness...
Three shots on goal is a perfectly respectable number of shots on goal!!! 

D1 teams only average four shots on goal per game!   
Notre Dame takes a little over five on average.  Same for Villanova.  And that is NOTRE DAME and VILLANOVA! 

Three SOG is perfectly respectable.   

In fact.... since every shot on goal is the result of an error ( or a string of errors.)  And since every goal definitely is the result of a string of errors.... 
That means:
the more shots on goal, the worse the play actually is. ... because that means somebody is making a lot of errors

Ommadawn

Quote from: PaulNewman on November 12, 2017, 01:13:43 AM

And you can bring in a new GK, too, right?

By the way, I couldn't get the Kenyon v Transylvania stream OR the Live Stats to work.  The box score suggests a dominating performance by the Lords (0 SOG for Transylvania!).  Did you see the game?

SoccerMom_5

Quote from: PaulNewman on November 12, 2017, 01:13:43 AM

Well, then that is a weird NESCAC quirk, because... normally you have to have been on the pitch at the final whistle to be eligible to kick in the PK shootout.  Unless you stepped off for injury or equipment issues and were not replaced with a sub.  (Or if your keeper is on the field but then subsequently injured.  Then, you can bring on a new keeper regardless.)   

Otherwise.. only whomever was in at the end of the game can shoot.   

If the NESCAC doesnt follow that rule, then I stand corrected. 
But that is a strange rule not to follow.

I am pretty sure the NCAA would be following it.   Because that is just a pretty much basic rule.

PaulNewman

Nope, a NCAA rule.

SoccerMom_5

Quote from: PaulNewman on November 12, 2017, 01:36:52 AM
Nope, a NCAA rule.

Really!!!  That is so bizarre I have never heard of anyone not following that rule ever before.

And pretty clearly Bowdoin hadn't either because they went with who was on the field  in fact they have used whomever was on the field in every shootout I have seen them do.  I doubt that would have been their first choice for PKS.

Although to be fair ro the Bowdoin kids who took PKs... that keeper from RUN was a monster!  He was really phenomenal and those were great saves -- especially I think the second and fourth shots

Also I could not tell who took the first kick for RUN but that was an incredible PK.There really was no way of stopping that, at all.

Falconer

Quote from: rudy on November 11, 2017, 10:17:56 PM
2 misses each
Bowdoin is done.  3 NESCAC teams out in first round.  makes one wonder of they really deserved 4 at large bids?

I wondered this too, as soon as I saw the whole pool this year. Some of the NE fans here have noted that NESCAC teams in general weren't as good this year. I watched a few of them early via streaming and basically agreed with that. I even thought Tufts looked rather so-so in a couple of early games, though clearly that was a misleading early impression in their case. But, I do think that NSCAC didn't deserve five bids this year. Perhaps three, but not five. LVC in the MAC Commonwealth is IMO at least as good as a couple of the teams that got bids.

Now, Amherst is still alive, and they could be a wild card. If they end up playing Messiah, they might actually be a dangerous opponent b/c of their size and their ability to finish set plays--which is Messiah's Achilles heel this year. It's simply too early to count those chickens, however, either way. Perhaps neither the Falcons nor Amherst will survive to that point, given how much balance there is nationally right now. Soon we'll know.

Buck O.

Quote from: SoccerMom_5 on November 12, 2017, 03:14:22 AM
Nope, a NCAA rule.

Really!!!  That is so bizarre I have never heard of anyone not following that rule ever before.

And pretty clearly Bowdoin hadn't either because they went with who was on the field  in fact they have used whomever was on the field in every shootout I have seen them do.  I doubt that would have been their first choice for PKS.

Although to be fair ro the Bowdoin kids who took PKs... that keeper from RUN was a monster!  He was really phenomenal and those were great saves -- especially the second and fourth shots

Also I could not tell who took the first kick for RUN but that was an incredible PK.There really was no way of stopping that, at all.

In last year's D-1 championship game between Stanford and Wake Forest, which went to PKs, one of Wake's penalty takers (Bruno Lara) hadn't played a single minute in the game.  (He made the kick.)

So I'd be quite surprised if Bowdoin's staff didn't know about it. 

PaulNewman

In defense of the NESCAC, I'm not sure we can say they didn't deserve 5 bids, although 'deserve' probably isn't the right word.  It might just be a weak year overall.  When I was putting together my own Pool C list at the very end I was struggling to come up with 19 and I had at least a couple of teams in that I never would have imagined there was room for.

And, taking each one, which teams really disappointed?  I would say only Middlebury.  Conn and UR was a toss-up, Conn hadn't played in two weeks, and the game was an even game that went to OT.  Despite the preoccupation with Bowdoin, Newark won the NJAC and was considered a top 10 team all season.  Bowdoin certainly wasn't favored on paper, and the game was even and a draw, ending in PKs.  I guess we could say Amherst was disappointing but let's wait and see on them.  Now, if St Joe's knocks out Tufts today then we'll have a story.

SoccerMom_5

Quote from: Buck O. on November 12, 2017, 09:53:09 AM
Quote from: SoccerMom_5 on November 12, 2017, 03:14:22 AM
Nope, a NCAA rule.

Although to be fair ro the Bowdoin kids who took PKs... that keeper from RUN was a monster!  He was really phenomenal and those were great saves.

In last year's D-1 championship game between Stanford and Wake Forest, which went to PKs, one of Wake's penalty takers (Bruno Lara) hadn't played a single minute in the game.  (He made the kick.)

So I'd be quite surprised if Bowdoin's staff didn't know about it.

I actually woke up still thinking about this.  It is so strange to change that rule.  Does it always apply in all NCAA games, or only in playoffs?  I am trying to think if I have ever seen someone kick who was not on the pitch at the end of play, and I really don't think I have. 
Do you know why they changed it?  It it is such a basic rule.