MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Backseat Driver

Quote from: Boards45 on February 09, 2013, 12:12:31 PM
I am  new to the CCIW region.  Is it me, or are most IWU fans full of themselves.  I have been around basketball all of my life and I now find it easy to root against IWU.  Not only from interactions on the message board, but also games I have attended at IWU and when they visit on the road. ::)

I think it's just you. IWU has great support from its students, alumni, and the B-N community, but there's not a higher percentage of "full of themselves" fans at IWU than at any other school. And if IWU fans are "full of themselves," they probably have a right to be because of the tradition and success of the IWU program.

Titan Q

I am  new to the CCIW region.  Is it me, or are most IWU fans full of themselves.  I have been around basketball all of my life and I now find it easy to root against IWU.  Not only from interactions on the message board, but also games I have attended at IWU and when they visit on the road. ::)

Mr. Ackerman, your opinion is welcome, but these types of posts put the related CCIW player in a strange position.

Titan Q

The Calvin @ Hope game can be seen on World Harvest TV at 2:00pm.  I have Direct TV and that is channel 367.

I'm not sure if the game will be streamed online.

AndOne

Will Wheaton freshman Michael Berg have a breakout game today vs Millikin?
On 1/12, he scored 16 points in the teams first meeting.
However, in CCIW play, Berg is averaging only 3.36 ppg. (37 points in 11 games)
Despite starting, he has somewhat surprisingly gone scoreless in Wheaton's last 4 games.   

Viking Mike

Should be 2 great games in Kenosha and Rock Island tonight!

I Know Carthage has played well at home, already knocking off NC and Wheaton there.  Augie was fortunate to play a solid game there in early Jan, and get out with a win.
I think IWU uses this one as a warmup for their postseason run, outrebounds the RedMed, and wins a 5-7 pt game in front of a big crowd.  This scenario also helps Augie in regard to the conf tourney, of course.

Hoping Augie can put together a solid game tonight against the Cardinals. Their youth has shown at times and definitely cost them the IWU game at home.  IWU was on the ropes for most of that game until the last 9 min when the Vikes became conservative on offense. They also had diff with defending guard penetration to the basket.

I did see a lot of good things from this team at Wheaton on Wed.   Despite being down by 7 at halftime, the Vikes played an outstanding 2nd half and probably only needed another minute of play to take the lead.  If the ref calls a foul on Ryan's baseline drive on their last possession, the game may have had a different outcome.  They look their best when they are pushing the basket down the court.  With their rebounding prowess, they can really get the opposing team on their heels.  Johnson and Thompson appear to be great finishers at the basket.  If they play like that tonight, they may have their "signature" win!   A loss it was, but Augie continues to improve.

Tonight they will need to rebound and play aggressively against a big frontline for NC.  Hoping a large crowd(including students) is in attendance to give the Vikes an extra lift.  A win over NC would be huge right now to secure a spot in the conf tourney and give them some needed confidence.

Go Vikings!

TitansIWU

It's just you.  ;D

Kovo

Quote from: iwu70 on February 09, 2013, 02:08:42 AM
Randy and Q, I do appreciate the sports coverage of the Pantagraph, and especially your coverage and other's coverage of the Titans, Randy.  My thanks.  But, this does not cover up the basic decline in the size, quality and obvious political slant of the Pgraph  in recent years or the widespread complaint, even disdain, about the quality of the paper in recent years.  I didn't coin or make up the widespread use of the term "The Daily Paragraph." For me, yes,  enjoy reading your sports page as it does cover well local high school sports, ISU, the Titans etc.  We supporters of the Titans love to see our achieving athletes get featured coverage from time to time.   I enjoyed it in print -- via my folks sub or the Ames Library sub -- and online.  I did not enjoy the snide biased coverage of the recent campaign with snide, at times even mildly racist cartoons day in and day out targeted at our President and the slanted coverage toward other Democrats.  The Pantagraph's coverage of the Gill campaign was sadly biased, often incomplete, even misleading.  (Yes, Gill lost by .3% in a Congressional district that has been Republican for years and years.  Yes, moving on -- Shimkus, I mean Rodney Davis, won fair and square).    Everyone in town, with favor or with disdain, knows the Pgraph to be a Republican rag.  I hope the paper can survive and improve, become somewhat more comprehensive and objective for local, state and national news.  Almost no international news at all, to speak of.  Of course, like all print journalism now, you have constraints of ownership, of sponsorship, ad pages, and revenue, and these are not going to go away.  I know the cutbacks and the constraints that you and other such publications have faced and face now.  For some reason, some of my connections here in HK block the pgraph site, I guess because these connections are deemed to be in "China" and subject to the fear of hacking, I suppose.  And now, as you know, there is a limitation on free views, so after a time each month, the paywall comes up.  Yes, I do refuse to pay for this now from a distance . . . and hence my question to others on this free site about Zimmer's health.  Why not find out the information for free?  The web is here, D3hoops chat rooms are here, so why not ask the question?  Q will say I'm a lazy poster, I suppose.   No one has to answer if they don't wish . . . and no one here in CCIW chat is metering replies, as far as I can see.  Perhaps Pat will be putting up a paywall, soon, who knows?   I wish the Pantagraph well and hope it continues to serve the B/N community and area . . . just wish it was better, more substantial on NEWS, more balanced in local, state and national news, and sure wish it covered the world a bit better -- but perhaps that's not its wish, market or purpose.  I guess I'll go to the NY Times site, for free, for my international news.  Again, a pretty good local sports page that many in the Titan nation, myself included, appreciate.

Happy Chinese New Year -- Year of the Snake -- to you both, to all! 

IWU70

Go TITANS -- good luck in Kenosha!  Bring home the outright CCIW crown.  ms

Guess the Bosko-Victor Davis or Zman battle needs a paywall!  At least Ypsi is willing to pay.  :)   

P.S.  Pat, no icons working for me either, over here on the Far Side.  No one smiles in China anyway, right?  :)

A Republican Rag?   Heck, how do I get a subscription?  It will be nice to have different point of view (I live in Palm Beach), than the usual local fare.

Boards45

Titan, thanks for the shout out, but it was just a general opinion on my part, not my sons.  I think he can handle himself.  Just an opinion of mine.  Sorry

Titan Q

Quote from: Boards45 on February 09, 2013, 03:23:11 PM
Titan, thanks for the shout out, but it was just a general opinion on my part, not my sons.  I think he can handle himself.  Just an opinion of mine.  Sorry

I'm sure your son can handle himself fine.  And as I said, your opinions are very welcome here.  But I doubt any kid wants his dad on the chat board bashing fans from another school in the conference. 

Titan Q

Quote from: Viking Mike on February 09, 2013, 02:41:31 PM
Should be 2 great games in Kenosha and Rock Island tonight!

I Know Carthage has played well at home, already knocking off NC and Wheaton there.  Augie was fortunate to play a solid game there in early Jan, and get out with a win.
I think IWU uses this one as a warmup for their postseason run, outrebounds the RedMed, and wins a 5-7 pt game in front of a big crowd.  This scenario also helps Augie in regard to the conf tourney, of course.

Hoping Augie can put together a solid game tonight against the Cardinals. Their youth has shown at times and definitely cost them the IWU game at home.  IWU was on the ropes for most of that game until the last 9 min when the Vikes became conservative on offense. They also had diff with defending guard penetration to the basket.

I did see a lot of good things from this team at Wheaton on Wed.   Despite being down by 7 at halftime, the Vikes played an outstanding 2nd half and probably only needed another minute of play to take the lead.  If the ref calls a foul on Ryan's baseline drive on their last possession, the game may have had a different outcome.  They look their best when they are pushing the basket down the court.  With their rebounding prowess, they can really get the opposing team on their heels.  Johnson and Thompson appear to be great finishers at the basket.  If they play like that tonight, they may have their "signature" win!   A loss it was, but Augie continues to improve.

Tonight they will need to rebound and play aggressively against a big frontline for NC.  Hoping a large crowd(including students) is in attendance to give the Vikes an extra lift.  A win over NC would be huge right now to secure a spot in the conf tourney and give them some needed confidence.

Go Vikings!

Agreed - really looking forward to both games (IWU @ CC, NCC @ AC). 

I think Augie has a very good chance to win that game in Rock Island.  For the Vikings it usually seems like it's a matter of getting some perimeter production - they'll need to knock down some 3's.  Really big game in the Midwest region picture.

Mugsy

Looks like Wheaton won over Millikin, 62-52. 

Nathan Haynes with a solid game, 18 pts, 15 rebs.
Millikin led by Deavis Johnson, 13pts, 10 rebs.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

CCIWchamps

Quote from: Mugsy on February 09, 2013, 07:06:11 PM
Looks like Wheaton won over Millikin, 62-52. 

Nathan Haynes with a solid game, 18 pts, 15 rebs.
Millikin led by Deavis Johnson, 13pts, 10 rebs.

Would love to hear a full rundown as Peters finished with 0 assists.  Strange.  In fact, Wheaton finished with 9 team assists, and Millikin just 6. 

iwu70

Great game in Kenosha earlier, our Titans beating the Lady Reds in OT , by one.  Colleen McMahon gets the winner with .04 remaining, finishing with 31 points, a career night.

Carthage women a really good team.  Hope they go far in the CCIW tournament and the D3 dance.  I'll cheer for them, wish them well, save when the Red Ladies play my Green women!

Now to the men's game.  A great evening in Kenosha.  Glad the massive snow has stayed East and West of Cheeseheadland, so far.

Rah-rah!  Go Titans.

IWU70

Titan Q

Quote from: Titan Q on February 07, 2013, 10:43:52 AM
http://athletics.carthage.edu/news/2013/2/6/Mens_Basketball_0206135515.aspx

"Illinois Wesleyan is coming here on Saturday for a coronation, and we don't want that to happen here." -Bosko

Bosko didn't want a coronation for the Titans on his floor, but it looks like he's gonna have to crown their ass.

Bosko post-game show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWmQbk5h86w

TitansIWU

At the risk of being deemed full of myself, congratulations to the Titans!!!!!!!!!!!

Surprised they didn't bring Bosko in.