Connecticut
Chicago
St. Olaf
Gustavus Adolphus
Luther
Redlands
Trinity (TX)
Montclair

Off the top of my head, to one degree or another, I would call these teams possession based.

SC.

I get quiet for a few days and this stuff happens. :D :D

I've kind of groused about Hopkins actually being TOO committed to possession over the years. I think they've turned a corner this year, but I'd put their possession stats probably in the top 10 in the country. If that were a thing tracked at this level. (Unless I'm missing something... not found on the NCAA site.)

ETA - A stat that kind of touches on this: Hopkins was second in the country in Goals Against Average (.405) behind Western Connecticut (.405, but they let in only 9 goals to Hopkins 10, though Hop played 2 more games, so...)

Anyways, it's not universal that possession teams let in fewer goals, but in this specific case I can say that it's REALLY hard to score on the Jays because you have to take one of about 4 or 5 chances you're going to get all game to the bank.

Falconer

Quote from: Hopkins92 on December 29, 2022, 12:35:56 PM
Quote from: SimpleCoach on December 27, 2022, 01:52:41 PM
W&L
Messiah
Cortland
John Carroll
Ohio Northern
Mary Washington
Connecticut
Chicago
St. Olaf
Gustavus Adolphus
Luther
Redlands
Trinity (TX)
Montclair

Off the top of my head, to one degree or another, I would call these teams possession based.

SC.

I get quiet for a few days and this stuff happens. :D :D

I've kind of groused about Hopkins actually being TOO committed to possession over the years. I think they've turned a corner this year, but I'd put their possession stats probably in the top 10 in the country. If that were a thing tracked at this level. (Unless I'm missing something... not found on the NCAA site.)

ETA - A stat that kind of touches on this: Hopkins was second in the country in Goals Against Average (.405) behind Western Connecticut (.405, but they let in only 9 goals to Hopkins 10, though Hop played 2 more games, so...)

Anyways, it's not universal that possession teams let in fewer goals, but in this specific case I can say that it's REALLY hard to score on the Jays because you have to take one of about 4 or 5 chances you're going to get all game to the bank.
Ditto for Messiah. They've certainly had many high level defenders in their best seasons, including this past fall, but overall their philosophy is the reverse of the old adage that the best offense is good defense.

ECSUalum

Newenglander

Quote from: ECSUalum on February 13, 2023, 01:29:11 PM
Nice Videos on Pat Agyemang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iLimdMFr3s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB5hRgmtySI
He had an interesting take saying the difference between D1 and D3 and he felt he could just show up and win in D3.  Interesting as I didn't think the program was overly successful in terms of the national picture.

ECSUalum

The program was ranked or received votes, over the last 4 weeks in the 2019 D3 soccer polls and were 17-3 in the LEC, (Agyemang Scoring 21 goals with 7 assists in 2019), so they won a lot of games. Additionally, I remember watching the LEC Tournament final ECSU vs Keene that year during which Keene St essentially mugged Patrick the whole game, (Keene committed 16 fouls, of which 3 were yellow cards in the match), and together with poor officiating Eastern was defeated 1-0 at home.

Newenglander

Quote from: ECSUalum on February 14, 2023, 07:50:38 PM
The program was ranked or received votes, over the last 4 weeks in the 2019 D3 soccer polls and were 17-3 in the LEC, (Agyemang Scoring 21 goals with 7 assists in 2019), so they won a lot of games. Additionally, I remember watching the LEC Tournament final ECSU vs Keene that year during which Keene St essentially mugged Patrick the whole game, (Keene committed 16 fouls, of which 3 were yellow cards in the match), and together with poor officiating Eastern was defeated 1-0 at home.
Understood- maybe just overly defensive for the D3 soccer competition....I'll also beat someone to the punch - 16 fouls and 3 cards - that's a tame Amherst game ;)

EnmoreCat

Quote from: Newenglander on February 15, 2023, 07:55:09 AM
Quote from: ECSUalum on February 14, 2023, 07:50:38 PM
Understood- maybe just overly defensive for the D3 soccer competition....I'll also beat someone to the punch - 16 fouls and 3 cards - that's a tame Amherst game ;)

Oh Newenglander, it's the offseason, Amhate doesn't need to be an all year round thing.  There are people you can see for this.  The Mammoths have been super clean in 2023 so far.