BB: Midwest Region

Started by BaseballFan, February 18, 2007, 10:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Gustie13 on March 26, 2007, 06:29:04 PM
I heard CSS inquired about joining the MIAC a little while ago (1 year? 3 years?) but was rebuffed.

I give CSS credit for playing MIAC teams, they always schedule games against USt and usually play some other teams as well. But Carleton and Concordia are going to be 2 of the 3 worst teams in the miac this year.

I have a lot of respect for the top end of the CSS rotation and some of the stud hitters they have in the lineup. I have no doubt that some players of theirs would vie for Player and Pitcher of the Year awards in the MIAC. The fact that Moriarty went up against Zimmerman and UWSP last year in the regional and won speaks volumes for how good he is (although he was 1-2 vs UST and StO that year).

I do, however, have a problem with the conference they play in.  So it really peeves me when Moriarty strikes out 12 people in a UMAC game and CSS has the lowest team ERA in DIII because they play unbelievably bad teams.

If CSS want to get better they have to play better competition.  It seems like this is something that have tried to do.

I would not give CSS grief about playing in the UMAC.  If they looked at a trying to join the MIAC they probably want to move to a more competative conference.    CSS might save their good pitchers for non conference game instead of conference games - opposite what other schools.

Pat Coleman

Perhaps with football, CSS might be more attractive to the MIAC.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gustie13

Quote from: Jim Dixon on March 26, 2007, 07:00:18 PM
Quote from: Gustie13 on March 26, 2007, 06:29:04 PM
I heard CSS inquired about joining the MIAC a little while ago (1 year? 3 years?) but was rebuffed.

I give CSS credit for playing MIAC teams, they always schedule games against USt and usually play some other teams as well. But Carleton and Concordia are going to be 2 of the 3 worst teams in the miac this year.

I have a lot of respect for the top end of the CSS rotation and some of the stud hitters they have in the lineup. I have no doubt that some players of theirs would vie for Player and Pitcher of the Year awards in the MIAC. The fact that Moriarty went up against Zimmerman and UWSP last year in the regional and won speaks volumes for how good he is (although he was 1-2 vs UST and StO that year).

I do, however, have a problem with the conference they play in.  So it really peeves me when Moriarty strikes out 12 people in a UMAC game and CSS has the lowest team ERA in DIII because they play unbelievably bad teams.

If CSS want to get better they have to play better competition.  It seems like this is something that have tried to do.

I would not give CSS grief about playing in the UMAC.  If they looked at a trying to join the MIAC they probably want to move to a more competative conference.    CSS might save their good pitchers for non conference game instead of conference games - opposite what other schools.

I agree. I would probably be even more biased againt CSS if they didn't schedule MIAC teams at all. But is it a fair comparison then if CSS can afford to save its best pitchers for non-conf MIAC opponents while the MIAC schools throw their best pitchers against conference foes?

BaseballFan

First of all I dont think anyone said they would dominate just be near the top. Second, I think CSS does everything in their power to play the best teams. Last year DH against  Wartburg, Alvernia, St. Thomas plus Olaf and Kenyon were ranked. This year their MIAC schedule.

Its a valid point that CSS can probably save some of their better pitchers for some of these teams, but it could put themselves at risk for dropping a UMAC game.  To go along with that St. Thomas and Olaf both pitched their top guns against CSS so its not a valid point about the MIAC teams not pitching them.

Also, something has to be said for CSS having to play 5 games in 3 days in order to play the MIAC teams.  I think the point is CSS would be a top team in the MIAC not saying they would win, but Im sure they would finish near the top.

The MIAC would not let CSS join because of the lack of a football team a couple years ago. So now that will have one we will see if they get invited and if CSS still wants to go because If It was my choice as a coach I would not want to leave the UMAC because in a couple years whenever that is the conference will have their automatic bid!

Gustie13

'finish near the top' vs 'a playoff team'. Finishing near the top in the MIAC means you're in the 15-5 to 17-3 (in conf) range, I put them in the 12-8 or 13-7 range, so we're pretty close in our estimates.

CSS is a combined 73-2-1 in UMAC games the past 4 seasons in the UMAC. 73-2-1. I doubt they are very concerned with losing a regular season UMAC game.

CSS vs MIAC:
2006: CSS won both games against UST in the dome at the beginning of the year with each team throwing their best. In a midseason DH StO pitched Mathison and Johnson but not MIAC Pitcher of the Year Eric Tobias against CSS, so you can't say they threw their top guns (Mathison was the staffs #2, Johnson #4). StO won both against CSS's best.  I was very excited to see Moriarty go against UST's Leslie and Bosch in their matchup at the end of the regular season (6-4 UST win). UST then eliminated CSS in regions.
2005: Split with UST in the dome to start the season with both teams throwing aces (Eiler & Moriarty, Bosch & Krause). UST won the rubber match midseason with Eiler and Moriarty pitching again but UST countering with decent but not great pitchers. Split with StO with Eiler and Moriarty pitching against scrubs.

Looks like CSS has used to matchups against MIAC teams to throw their best pitchers every time while UST and StO have used their aces about half the time.

BaseballFan

2005 Moriarty was maybe their #3 that year sorry, cuz Joe Calaguire was their #2. So CSS  aces didnt pitch games. Also, Ben Grams pitched in the loss against Olaf during a tsunami shortened gamewhich the Olies coach said was kind of stupid.  Grams probably number #5

2006 By their stats Mathison and Johnson were their aces and probably why they started the first 2 games of the Regional. Dont think Tobias pitched in the regional maybe was hurt?? but didnt he get ruffed up by Gustavus in the MIAC tourney??

So some discrepencies but I would put them about 15-5 like Olaf and St. Thomas were. Their games against Gustavus and Olaf will tell us if they can compete

I think it is going to be a fun year all together though with Olaf, Thomas Gustavus, Point, Whitewater, CSS and other good regional teams. Somebody is going to get left out that shouldnt though just because their are not enough spots

Gustie13

Tobias was MIAC pitcher of the year 2006 and tore his rotator cuff sometime between beating UST 4-0 on May 2 and getting hit hard by Gustavus in the miac playoffs May 13 (It was obvious to everyone in the stands that something was wrong that game).

2005: Eiler pitched Game 1 against StO (9 inn, 1 er, 13 Ks, 2-1 CSS win).

Agreed, should be a great year with these teams playing each other quite a bit.

BaseballFan

Well its finally February anybody wanna take a stab at who will be playing at Oskosh in May. I listed it as an 8 team region. Obviously, this is not predictable because who knows what conferences will be thrown in the midwest regional and what teams will win the conference.  Ex. two years ago Coe and Dominican both made it with I think .500 records

St. Thomas
St. Olaf
WI Stevens Point
St. Scholastica
Wartburg
WI Oskosh
Wartburg
Whitewater

Gustie13

Throughout last season I thought the MIAC was better than the WIAC last year, but it was two WIAC teams that ended up playing in the Region Championship (although I will note the St Olaf was missing its 2 best pitchers for the MIAC and Midwest playoffs!).
I don't think the MIAC is as strong this year after USt because StO lost a lot of offense. As a result, I would drop St Olaf off the list and add the third place WIAC team in its spot.

BaseballFan

Quote from: Gustie13 on February 01, 2008, 02:39:58 PM
Throughout last season I thought the MIAC was better than the WIAC last year, but it was two WIAC teams that ended up playing in the Region Championship (although I will note the St Olaf was missing its 2 best pitchers for the MIAC and Midwest playoffs!).
I don't think the MIAC is as strong this year after USt because StO lost a lot of offense. As a result, I would drop St Olaf off the list and add the third place WIAC team in its spot.

Yea I would agree with all that. Even though UWW was pretty good but got left out last year. I just put a list of 8 out there that are typically the favorite not necessarily that they will all make it. My only problem with having 3 teams from the WIAC making it is that they only have 7 teams in the conference. So if I had the choice between two teams from a conference of 10 plus teams or three teams from a 7 team conference I would go with the larger conference, just my opinion.

BigPoppa

Wartburg is in the Central, not the Midwest. They are very close to the Central Regional at Ill. Wesleyan in Bloominton, Il. I find it hard to believe that if they get in they would be shipped out of region.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

OshDude

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a seven-team regional again this year. Here's my stab at it. The only way it's eight teams is if a team gets shipped (like an Edgewood, which I see as very possible. Does the NAC get an auto this year or next?).

1. Whitewater (Pool A)
2. St. Thomas (A)
3. Oshkosh (C)
4. St. Olaf (C)
5. Stevens Point (C)
6. St. Scholastica (B)
7. St. Norbert or Ripon (A)
8. Edgewood (B/C)

Ralph Turner

Welcome MIAC Baseball.  We have games in Texas, and you guys must be waiting for them to turn on the heat at the Metrodome.

I have merged this topic in the general Midwest Region board.

The Midwest Region preview will be coming out later in the month.

BaseballFan

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 01, 2008, 06:44:07 PM
Wartburg is in the Central, not the Midwest. They are very close to the Central Regional at Ill. Wesleyan in Bloominton, Il. I find it hard to believe that if they get in they would be shipped out of region.

Oh really, well 2 years ago Coe was the Iowa Conference tourney champs and played in the midwest regional so it happened 2 years ago

BaseballFan

Quote from: OshDude on February 02, 2008, 02:20:24 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a seven-team regional again this year. Here's my stab at it. The only way it's eight teams is if a team gets shipped (like an Edgewood, which I see as very possible. Does the NAC get an auto this year or next?).

1. Whitewater (Pool A)
2. St. Thomas (A)
3. Oshkosh (C)
4. St. Olaf (C)
5. Stevens Point (C)
6. St. Scholastica (B)
7. St. Norbert or Ripon (A)
8. Edgewood (B/C)

I thought they did away with 7 team regionals and they were just 6 or 8. Seven team playoffs are the worst thing ever and gives the number 1 seed a huge advantage.

I like your picks, not really sure who will win the WIAC but I think Oskosh returns a pretty good line-up, Point obviously lost a couple big guys and Whitewater always good but havent made the regional since they won the National Championship in 05