New England Soccer Discussion

Started by Jim Matson, June 09, 2006, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Off Pitch

Tufts vs. Springfield
   Common opponents:  Tufts 5 - Keene St 1,   Springfield 4 - Keene St 0
   Springfield is a difficult team to play.  I have compared them to Amherst in terms of style, and Tufts handled Amherst 3-0 this year, so this might be a match-up favorable to the Jumbos.

Daniel Webster vs. Worcester St
   Common opponents:   DW 2 - Mithcell 0,     WS 4 - Mitchell 2
                                      DW 2 - Elms 0,          WS 6 - Elms 0
                                      DW 0 - Nichols 0,       WS 1 - Nichols 2
                                      DW 3 - Pine Manor 2,  WS 2 - Pine Manner 0
                                      DW 6 - Becker 0,        WS 4 - Becker 1
   Daniel Webster signature win:  DW 2 - Endicott 0
   Daniel Webster should be a slight favorite in this one.

Babson vs. St. Josephs (Me)
   Common opponents:  none
    St. Josephs has only given up 7 goals in 21 games.  Signature win:  St Joes 1 - Colby 0

Brandeis vs. Western New England
   Common opponents:  Brandeis 4 - Wheaton 5,  WNE 1 - Wheaton 2
                                     Brandeis 1 - Clark 0,        WNE 1 - Clark 2

Brother Flounder

Quote from: Off Pitch on November 07, 2016, 02:49:32 PM
Tufts vs. Springfield
   Common opponents:  Tufts 5 - Keene St 1,   Springfield 4 - Keene St 0
   Springfield is a difficult team to play.  I have compared them to Amherst in terms of style, and Tufts handled Amherst 3-0 this year, so this might be a match-up favorable to the Jumbos.

Daniel Webster vs. Worcester St
   Common opponents:   DW 2 - Mithcell 0,     WS 4 - Mitchell 2
                                      DW 2 - Elms 0,          WS 6 - Elms 0
                                      DW 0 - Nichols 0,       WS 1 - Nichols 2
                                      DW 3 - Pine Manor 2,  WS 2 - Pine Manner 0
                                      DW 6 - Becker 0,        WS 4 - Becker 1
   Daniel Webster signature win:  DW 2 - Endicott 0
   Daniel Webster should be a slight favorite in this one.

Babson vs. St. Josephs (Me)
   Common opponents:  none
    St. Josephs has only given up 7 goals in 21 games.  Signature win:  St Joes 1 - Colby 0

Brandeis vs. Western New England
   Common opponents:  Brandeis 4 - Wheaton 5,  WNE 1 - Wheaton 2
                                     Brandeis 1 - Clark 0,        WNE 1 - Clark 2

Is the Tufts game on turf or grass?

Off Pitch

Prediction time for New England teams:

Daniel Webster 2 - Worcester St 1

DW is 8-1 in their last 9 games (outscoring opponents 29-6) including a win over Endicott.  Howerver, DW plays in one of the weakest conferences in the country.  DW is #221 in the Massey and #217 in the Hero Sports rankings while WS is #157 in Massey and #156 in Hero (who knew the rankings were so consistent?).   I am picking the Eagles of Daniel Webster to prove a point against the Lancers.

Babson 1 - St Josephs (Maine) 0

St. Josephs enters the game with a 19 game unbeaten streak - they have only lost once all year while outscoring their opponents 40-7.  St. Josephs has not surrendered a goal in the first half of any game all season and have given up only 1 goal in their last 10 games.  They are numbers #134 and # 116 in the Massey and Hero rankings.     Babson is #37 and #39.  The Beavers are not a dynamic offensive team but are very cohesive defensively.   Babson scores early and holds on to silence the Monks.

Brandeis 2 - Western New England 1

Brandeis surged late winning 5 of the last 6 outscoring the opposition 10-2.  Brandeis is #40 in both the Massey and Hero rankings, while Western New England is #124 in both.  WNE put up 35 goals on the year, but they surrendered 34.  Remillard is dangerous for WNE, but Brandeis is too strong.  The Judges lock up the Golden Bears attack.

Tufts 2 - Springfield 2 (Tufts advances on PKs)

Tufts finished the season with a pair of 1-2 losses to Bowdoin.   Of course Tufts also finished the 2014 season with two blemishes before running the table and wining the national championship, but they had better not take Springfield lightly.  Springfield scored an impressive 69 goals on the season and play an aggressive, attacking style that is ugly most of the time.  They are not out to win a possession game, and Alvaro is dangerous from anywhere.  Tufts is #16 and #10 respectively on Massey and Hero.  Springfield is #8 on Massey and #16 on Hero.   This could be an entertaining early game that, based on rankings, maybe should have been a sweet 16 match.   

Mass- Boston 3  - Kean  1

Mass-Boston is the real deal.  They scored 68 goals on the season, and have a premier forward in Ocane Williamson (17 goals) supported by Mohamed Kenawy (16 goals).  Mass-Boston is #12 in Massey and #4 in Hero.   Kean is #36 and #43, but they stumble into the tournament with only 1 win in their last 4 games having surrendered 12 goals in that stretch.  The Beacons will be just peachy v. Kean.

Mr.Right

Mr.Right's New England Predictions:

Worcester St v Daniel Webster----As Off Pitch said Daniel Webster plays in a very weak league. Worcester State should have better athletes and I think they get the job done rather easily....2-0 Worcester St

Babson v St.Josephs(ME)-------I have not seen St.Joseph's(ME) play this year but they did beat Nescac foe Colby 1-0 an impressive win for their program. If Babson plays like they did against Wheaton(MA) in the Newmac Semi's they will be in trouble. I think Babson can be an offensively challenged team so if St.Joseph's plays compact and deep all game they can get a goal maybe on the counter or take the game to PK's. In years past, before Anderson's son who was a stud striker they have gotten upset by weaker teams at home when hosting. This is another one of those IMO...0-0 Draw St.Joe's in PK's.

Brandeis v WNEC--------Brandeis has been playing very well lately besides a one off loss to NYU. The biggest shock in New England circles was WNEC winning the CCC League. They beat out better sides in Endicott, Gordon and Wentworth and they won the Final 4-1. Still, WNEC is not the WNEC of old and not a good enough side to hang with a re-focused Brandeis side.  Brandeis 3-1

Tufts v Springfield--------I cannot agree with Off Pitch that this game has 4 goals in it. Springfield will sit deep and whack everything in sight. Again, they are a poor man's Amherst. They do have enough quality in midfield and forward to snag a goal but it would need to be off the counter. Tufts will dominate possession but will struggle to score in this game but I do not see Springfield breaking down a quality Tufts workmanlike defensive side.Tufts 1-0

UMASS Boston v Kean--------Toughest game to predict for me because I have not seen Kean play this year and I am not familiar with how they play. UMASS Boston has definite talent but Kean has been battle tested in the NJAC. UMASS Boston's conference just does compare to Kean's in quality but it does compare in chippy play. This is UMASS Boston's 3rd straight trip to the NCAA's so they know what they are getting into. Kean most likely thought their season was finished a week ago and would be surprised if they practiced last week more than twice. I think this game is a toss-up and if Kean is a physical side with physical strikers then UMASS Boston's defense will be in trouble because they are fast and skilled but not physical an their GK is average at best. Kean 3-2

OldNed

Quote from: Off Pitch on November 08, 2016, 07:43:57 PM
Prediction time for New England teams:

Daniel Webster 2 - Worcester St 1

DW is 8-1 in their last 9 games (outscoring opponents 29-6) including a win over Endicott.  Howerver, DW plays in one of the weakest conferences in the country.  DW is #221 in the Massey and #217 in the Hero Sports rankings while WS is #157 in Massey and #156 in Hero (who knew the rankings were so consistent?).   I am picking the Eagles of Daniel Webster to prove a point against the Lancers.

I didn't know much about the Daniel Webster program, so I looked it up and this could be their last game ever as the school is closing at the end of the school year.  Given that, it would be pretty cool for Daniel Webster to advance to the second round.

Ommadawn

One of Daniel Webster's top players is Kevin Herrera, former NE Revolution Academy and USYNT pool player.

1970s NESCAC Player

Quote from: Ommadawn on November 09, 2016, 12:47:48 PM
One of Daniel Webster's top players is Kevin Herrera, former NE Revolution Academy and USYNT pool player.

Noticed that he is their leading scorer as a freshman.  Hopefully will find a good landing spot for next year.

OldNed

Is he the same Kevin Herrera that was a freshman at UMass Lowell in 2015?

Ommadawn

Quote from: OldNed on November 09, 2016, 04:22:34 PM

Is he the same Kevin Herrera that was a freshman at UMass Lowell in 2015?

Yes, one and the same.

2xfaux

So this kid is a hired gun being used by a D-3 school and a failed for profit school.  Please tell me that I am wrong.

oldonionbag

Tufts University interview with captains and Shapiro -- note Shapiro's comments re: the Nescac getting snubbed. Couldn't agree more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi1_3unYseE

Brother Flounder

Quote from: oldonionbag on November 11, 2016, 09:36:26 AM
Tufts University interview with captains and Shapiro -- note Shapiro's comments re: the Nescac getting snubbed. Couldn't agree more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi1_3unYseE

Bag, thanks for the link. Shapiro is spot on.  Class act.   It is pretty surprising that 2 teams only got in.  One way to look at it is to look at the top 6 teams in each conference.  That will show you how tough and deep the NESCAC is....

Mr.Right

Quote from: 2xfaux on November 09, 2016, 06:32:28 PM
So this kid is a hired gun being used by a D-3 school and a failed for profit school.  Please tell me that I am wrong.

LOL..."hired gun" is a bit much but this for profit school is closing its doors soon. To be Honest I thought they would cancel all athletics immediately followin their announcement of closing..

onetouch

Thanks for sharing the Shapiro link.  What a great  job he has done with that program.

I certainly think Nescac should have had another bid (the women got 5!), but I do find myself longing for the Nescac soccer of 5+ years ago.  The league is more defensive and less entertaining to watch.  While the players are fine with plenty of talent, it has been hard to watch programs like Williams, with a history of creative, dynamic attacking play, evolve into playing grind it out, defensive soccer.

Nothing wrong with it, I just don't feel  compelled to rearrange my weekends around it, and I think the league's reputation suffers as a result.

Mr.Right

Babson and St.Joseph's(ME) about 15 minutes in and it is a pretty even game with Babson having a chance or 2 to score. I must say St.Joseph's is a decent t eam that Babson might have trouble scoring against today. Congrats to their 2nd year Head Coach Adrian Dubois for turning this once dormant program around with apparently a couple good recruiting classes. It says he played at UNH and was an assistant coach at UC San Diego and UMASS Boston before getting the job.