BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jigsaw54

Mess with the Best Die like the Rest.

Mr. Ypsi

Now 6-5 NCC after 5.5 innings.  Giving up a single and double before he got an out, I figured national pitcher-of-the-week Joe Sweeney couldn't escape totally unscathed, but he balked one run in, then gave up two more hits.  He looked VERY strong from the 3rd thru the 5th, but he may be nearly out of gas.  (Or maybe it was just one of those innings?! ::))

I think IWU is probably a Pool C even if they lose, but if they can't come back I will be VERY nervous on selection day.

Mr. Ypsi

Save only for bottom of the ninth in a tie game, I do NOT understand the strategy of a sacrifice bunt!  If anyone wishes to study the matter, I'm willing to bet it backfires 90% of the time.  Barring a miracle, it adds an out.  It therefore drastically reduces the likelihood of a big inning.  And I'd be willing to bet that 10% of the time it results in a pop-up, which likely means a double-play!

In the earlier game, Martel had Nathan do it, which simply took the bat out of Callahan's hands (the livestats did not call it an intentional walk, but I'd bet it was at least semi-intentional).  Now he has (lately red-hot) Hopp do it, with no net result.

Mr. Ypsi

Since Dennis Martel has won far more games than I, I'll drop the diatribe.  In the top of the 7th, Hagensee led off with a double, which meant the showers for Joe Sweeney.  He later scored on a Highland double.  No further damage: 7-5 NCC after 6.5 innings.  Kopp is now pitching for IWU.

Mr. Ypsi

Had to go pick up my son from work, but I'm back.  Going to the bottom of the 9th with NCC still up 7-5.  IWU has the middle of the order, with Callahan leading off.

Mr. Ypsi

BTW, Justin Verlander missed out on his Johnny Vander Meer opportunity, too, but he no-hit the Royals for 5.2 innings! ;D

Mr. Ypsi

Callahan gets a single (he's 3-4, including a HR); Czarnowski walked; McDermott did a sacrifice bunt (aarrgh?!, we'll see ;)).  Runners at 2nd and 3rd, 1-out.  PH struck out - now 2 outs.

Mr. Ypsi

Grodecki struck out to end it: NCC 7, IWU 5.

I'm fairly confident of a Pool C bid, but a bit nervous.

BigPoppa

I see Carthage maybe landing at the #2 slot if they can win it and IWU sliding to maybe the #3/4 slot. I think they are safe for a bid.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

mr_b

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 13, 2011, 11:07:44 PM
I see Carthage maybe landing at the #2 slot if they can win it and IWU sliding to maybe the #3/4 slot. I think they are safe for a bid.
What other teams do you seeing getting a bid?

BigPoppa

Still a lot of baseball to go this weekend, but here is what I expect to see:

1. Coe- IIAC Pool A
2. Carthage- CCIW Pool A
3. IWU- CCIW Pool C
4. (This is the tough one... Maybe Buena Vista, but they were terrible this weekend. I think a team may get shipped in from outside the region here.)
5. Webster- SLIAC Pool A
6.  Beloit- MWC Pool A

I think NPU, WashU, NCC, Augustana, and possibly Buena Vista get left out.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on May 13, 2011, 09:33:34 PM
Callahan gets a single (he's 3-4, including a HR); Czarnowski walked; McDermott did a sacrifice bunt (aarrgh?!, we'll see ;)).  Runners at 2nd and 3rd, 1-out.  PH struck out - now 2 outs.

Back to the rant. ;)  McDermott had a gazillion RBIs in the first game (well, 3 anyway ;)), and you're giving him an almost automatic out??  To put only the tying runs in scoring position??

True, he might hit into a double play (maybe even a triple play :(), and he may or may not advance the runners on the likely out, but there is also probably at least a one in three chance he will get a hit (with PRs on both first and second, even a single probably means a run and men on first and third WITH NO ONE OUT).

I am convinced that (with rare exceptions) sacrifice bunts are a losing strategy.

Anyone with more baseball experience than I have wanna chime in on this one?  (Though 'received wisdom' in baseball goes for the sacrifice, maybe I should ask for a non-baseball statistician to check into it! :D)

izzy stradlin

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on May 13, 2011, 11:41:41 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on May 13, 2011, 09:33:34 PM

Back to the rant. ;)  McDermott had a gazillion RBIs in the first game (well, 3 anyway ;)), and you're giving him an almost automatic out??  To put only the tying runs in scoring position??

True, he might hit into a double play (maybe even a triple play :(), and he may or may not advance the runners on the likely out, but there is also probably at least a one in three chance he will get a hit (with PRs on both first and second, even a single probably means a run and men on first and third WITH NO ONE OUT).

I am convinced that (with rare exceptions) sacrifice bunts are a losing strategy.

Anyone with more baseball experience than I have wanna chime in on this one?  (Though 'received wisdom' in baseball goes for the sacrifice, maybe I should ask for a non-baseball statistician to check into it! :D)

Ypsi, you are 100% correct.  Bunting is a huge pet peeve of mine.  The key to scoring in sports is opportunity/possession.  Baseball is a game of outs, and with the exception of only a few situations (playing for only 1 run, many NL pitchers etc.), it is wrong to give away outs.  Coaches who adopt "received wisdom" of frequent sacrifice bunting are putting their teams at a significant disadvantage. 

RedmanFan35

Really looking forward to this NCC - Carthage matchup today. Arenson and Rohe should be a real nice pitching matchup. The Redmen are extremely confident and I promise the Seniors have all reminded everyone what happened last year with IWU. It's nice to know you have to win one to take the tournament, but need I say more than, Remember The Titans. I'm not exactly sure what NCC's pitching depth looks like but I know if needed, Perez, Pucher, Johansen, Lochen, Wilhelms and Arenson are ready to go. I really like our chances :D

On a personal note : I wish I could be there to see which side John Arenson is hanging out on !!
Nate Arenson SR NCC, Andrew Arenson FR Carthage. Hilarious !!!

He has to be proud ;D

mwunder

Quote from: RedmanFan35 on May 14, 2011, 11:18:30 AM
Really looking forward to this NCC - Carthage matchup today. Arenson and Rohe should be a real nice pitching matchup.

Nate Arenson threw 9 innings yesterday n the North Park game.  There's no way he starts today against the Red Men.