FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Tradition

Quote from: formerd3db on January 14, 2013, 10:47:19 PM
However, it is surprising as I thought he relocated to the Chicago area because of his wife and her family being there.

I distinctly remember when he became the DC at NCC an article with a quote from him saying that he wanted to raise his kids in suburban Chicago where he grew up, etc., which is why he went from being a QB coach at the D1 level to the D3 level to begin with.  I'm really surprised at this.  He could have stayed at Elmhurst for a VERY long time if he so chose.
I am a NATIONAL Champion, and I refuse to lose!

2015 CCIW Pickem Champ
2015 WIAC Playoff Pickem Champ

New Tradition

Quote from: cardinaldad on January 16, 2013, 08:13:48 AM
I'm sure Elmhurst is aware of Ponx's interviewing blunder. Do you think they would consider him after this ethics mistake? Just asking and opening that topic up for discussion. Interesting.....................................

Interviewing blunder or no, Ponx is a good coach, albeit a cut-throat/win at all costs type of coach.  I'm sure many people in the CCIW that could potentially be hiring him know this.  It all depends on what Coach Krohn at Elmhurst is looking for.  If I recall correctly, Ponx either played or coached at Elmhurst before he left for Ohio, so there is some history there, and I do believe that he can keep them winning.  I just can't help thinking he'd be set up as the new Norm Eash in the CCIW, though.
I am a NATIONAL Champion, and I refuse to lose!

2015 CCIW Pickem Champ
2015 WIAC Playoff Pickem Champ

79jaybird

I can say for sure Elmhurst is not looking for another Eash frame of mind.  From an athletics and academic stance, I know Elmhurst is looking for a solid coach who motivates these young men, GRADUATES them, and continues to build up a program with the core values of Elmhurst in mind.  That said, indeed Lester's departure leaves a gaping hole and a short window to get the team ready for this upcoming season.  Though not as noticeable, Lester's departure is very similar to Journell's leave.  I vividly remember in a pre-taped radio pregame Journell saying he wants to stay here and build up a program, have his kids be affluent in the community, etc.  But then a UW job opened up and we were back to square one.
I think Elmhurst needs a proven coach and not somebody green.  I also think (and I don't know if this possible) they really need to find somebody who is willing to stay more than 4-5 years and try to create some respected tenure. (i.e. Swider, Eash, etc.).  This day an age, I know those longstanding coaches are tough to find.
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

NCF

Quote from: New Tradition on January 16, 2013, 08:49:41 AM
I'm sure Elmhurst is aware of Ponx's interviewing blunder. Do you think they would consider him after this ethics mistake? Just asking and opening that topic up for discussion. Interesting.....................................

Interviewing blunder or no, Ponx is a good coach, albeit a cut-throat/win at all costs type of coach.  I'm sure many people in the CCIW that could potentially be hiring him know this.  It all depends on what Coach Krohn at Elmhurst is looking for.  If I recall correctly, Ponx either played or coached at Elmhurst before he left for Ohio, so there is some history there, and I do believe that he can keep them winning.  I just can't help thinking he'd be set up as the new Norm Eash in the CCIW, though.
Please, not that ;D ;D Ponx would be a great coach and I hope someone gives him a chance to prove himself.
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

formerd3db

Quote from: New Tradition on January 16, 2013, 08:44:58 AM
However, it is surprising as I thought he relocated to the Chicago area because of his wife and her family being there.

I distinctly remember when he became the DC at NCC an article with a quote from him saying that he wanted to raise his kids in suburban Chicago where he grew up, etc., which is why he went from being a QB coach at the D1 level to the D3 level to begin with.  I'm really surprised at this.  He could have stayed at Elmhurst for a VERY long time if he so chose.

I was very surprised also based on those statements he made.  However, I don't begrude anyone from changing their minds, especially if an opportunity like that presents.  Circumstances change in life and nothing is predictable.  However, I guess I'm more of a traditionalist (and perhaps outmoded) when it comes to coaching in that for me personally had I chosen coaching as a career, I would have preferred to stay at one place for my career if possible.  Yet, as many have already said here, coaching today is pretty much a business anymore for many people.

Also, in this same related topic - so much for loyalty and commitment.  The NFL Philadelphia Eagles just hired Chip Kelly in a stunning reversal decision by that coach.  He was already making a ton of $ (more than enough at Oregon) and could have stayed there for a very long time.  However, I guess the enticement of the NFL was just too much for him.  Again, I guess were I in such a situation, I would have kept my public statements somwhat low key rather than say as he did to the effect that..."oh, after reflection, I decided that Oregon is absolutedly the place I and my family want to be".  I've always had a hard time accepting the circumstances when coaches take a job or not take a job and then turn around and do the exact opposite a few days (or sometime) later...remember Saben, Meyer, Glen Mason anyone? ::) ;D :D ;) (and there are others).  Anyway, a very interesting and surprising development.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

iwu4ever

I'm sure Elmhurst is aware of Ponx's interviewing blunder.

I missed this "blunder"...anything you can share?

Gregory Sager

Quote from: NCF on January 15, 2013, 08:06:50 AM
Wow, jaybird and Elmhurst fans, Lester leaves.  I guess that is not so surprising being that he has played and coached at DI in between DII (St. Joseph) and DIII (Elmhurst and NCC).  However, it is surprising as I thought he relocated to the Chicago area because of his wife and her family being there.  Also, the article/announcement did not mention which DI school he accepted the assistant's position at.  Does anyone know as yet?

I hope Elmhurst can continue on with the momentum they had in the program this year.
I'm sure that was a great way to get her to move here ;D ;D  Can't blame him for taking the position before the window of opportunity closed, however. Good Luck to him!

I wish Tim Lester good luck as well at Syracuse. I just hope he likes snow.

(On the upside, Syracuse has fantastic Italian food. There's at least three dozen Italian joints in the Salt City that are better than Two Brothers From Italy.)

Quote from: 79jaybird on January 16, 2013, 08:57:10 AM
I think Elmhurst needs a proven coach and not somebody green.  I also think (and I don't know if this possible) they really need to find somebody who is willing to stay more than 4-5 years and try to create some respected tenure. (i.e. Swider, Eash, etc.).  This day an age, I know those longstanding coaches are tough to find.

Your wish and three dollars will get you a latte from Starbucks. The truth is that, unless your guy's an alumnus and this is his dream job, or he's an older coach who doesn't have a tremendous amount of career time left that would allow him to anticipate a higher ceiling, a newly-minted D3 head coach is not likely to sign on with long-term expectations of staying put.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

izzy stradlin

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 16, 2013, 06:03:36 PM
Quote from: NCF on January 15, 2013, 08:06:50 AM
Wow, jaybird and Elmhurst fans, Lester leaves.  I guess that is not so surprising being that he has played and coached at DI in between DII (St. Joseph) and DIII (Elmhurst and NCC).  However, it is surprising as I thought he relocated to the Chicago area because of his wife and her family being there.  Also, the article/announcement did not mention which DI school he accepted the assistant's position at.  Does anyone know as yet?

I hope Elmhurst can continue on with the momentum they had in the program this year.
I'm sure that was a great way to get her to move here ;D ;D  Can't blame him for taking the position before the window of opportunity closed, however. Good Luck to him!

I wish Tim Lester good luck as well at Syracuse. I just hope he likes snow.

(On the upside, Syracuse has fantastic Italian food. There's at least three dozen Italian joints in the Salt City that are better than Two Brothers From Italy.)

Quote from: 79jaybird on January 16, 2013, 08:57:10 AM

Your wish and three dollars will get you a latte from Starbucks. The truth is that, unless your guy's an alumnus and this is his dream job, or he's an older coach who doesn't have a tremendous amount of career time left that would allow him to anticipate a higher ceiling, a newly-minted D3 head coach is not likely to sign on with long-term expectations of staying put.

Your absolutely right on those two.  The two most successful football programs in the CCIW in the last 15 years are perfect examples.  Mike Swider has had a few opportunities to move up in coaching but is too in love with his alma mater.  John Thorne building a national top 10 program at NCC basically from scratch probably would have led to more career advancement if he was still in his 30's or 40's.   

oldnuthin

Quote from: iwu4ever on January 16, 2013, 05:33:10 PM

Don't bad mouth your current employer in an interview

NCF

Quote from: oldnuthin on January 16, 2013, 07:52:10 PM

Everyone has said things at one time or another that they wish they didn't and IMHO everyond deserves a 2nd chance. I hope he can find a place that will give him that chance and the opportunity to shine.
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11

CardinalAlum

Lets talk about the ethics of Carthage and sharing anything "supposedly" said in an interview with a current employer.  I've lost a lot of respect for Tim Rucks. 
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

NCF

Quote from: CardinalAlum on January 17, 2013, 10:18:44 AM

Completely agree.

Lets talk about the ethics of Carthage and sharing anything "supposedly" said in an interview with a current employer.  I've lost a lot of respect for Tim Rucks.

NCF

Any thoughts on the Teo "hoax"? Seems just a little fishy to me.

USee

Wheaton has solidified it's qb position for the next 4 yrs.  Not only is Jordan Roberts back next year, but they have a commitment from Wheaton North's Johnny Peltz, who turned down multiple scholarship offers, including one from 1AA national champion North Dakota State.  He is a 6'3" 220 lb gunslinger.  A huge pickup for Wheaton.  Of course it probably helped that his dad is current Wheaton DLine coach Jeff Peltz. 

Mr. Ypsi

The CCIW needs to have nepotism rules! 8-) ;D

In basketball we get guys like Steve Djurickovic and Derek Raridon; now Wheaton football gets a 'gunslinger'! :P

IWU needs to focus more on how good their coaches' kids are! ;)